The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Swapping out the steering wheel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
denny48

City/Region: Peoria
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Tugger
Photos: Tugger
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Swapping out the steering wheel Reply with quote

A few weeks ago, I posted that I had located a neat little brass steering wheel for our boat. We got it all polished up and varnished. Then I began taking off the factory wheel. Got as far as taking the cap off and the nut, but couldn't make any more progress. Does anyone know how I get that little bugger off?
Thanks!

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wheel puller should pull almost any steering wheel off. Often wigglng them one side and then the other, fore and aft helps. PB Blaster will help to free up any corrosion (should'nt be any with a new boat).

Be sure that you don't break a rib or cause internal injury with a spoked wheel...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lube er up , let it sit over night , if you dont have a puller id borrow one but if your like me get a rubber mallet beat it around the ring and keep yanking it will come off, be careful not to break or crack anything where it mounts into glass . a little heat can do the trick sometimes also , good luck ,be carefull with my advice cause im a bit of a butcher . keep pulling , if it dont come off , relax for a bit , pet teaco , get back to it , repeat a few times it will come off, they can be stubborn............... john
denny48

City/Region: Peoria
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Tugger
Photos: Tugger
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Broken ribs Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the ideas.
Geez Bob, broken ribs? Just when I thought this was a cool wheel, you go and turn it in to some type of potential death machine. Smile
I guess since all those mariners before us survived with this type of wheel, I might give it a go, IF I can get the old (new) one off of the spindle!
Thanks,
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before and now again-that is one beautiful boat. If I ever win the lottery I'm taking a picture of your boat and running down to a Ranger dealer. I'm surprised that they put the plain stainless wheel on it. Even my 16 came with the rubber covered wheel, and the Ranger 25 has that beautiful wood wheel. Anyway, go for a puller, in the end the proper tool will save you some grief.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a puller but I've found that (in auto's) if you back the nut off to the end of the stub and gently tap it while putting a little outward pressure on the steering wheel it will usually pop right off. Never pulled a wheel from a boat so take this advice for what it's worth.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spindle and wheel bore are tapered so they lock together pretty tight. The good part is that when it comes free it is completely loose. Penetrating oil will help some but not a whole bunch. Your best bet is to put a couple little wedges behind the wheel to hold it out (not push it out), screw the nut back onto the spindle a little ways and tap on the nut/spindle gently. You don't want to smack it hard enough to hurt anything - just a couple sharp raps and she should pop free.

I yanked my wheel off just the other day. It didn't have any tapped holes around the hub for using a traditional steering wheel puller, and a jaw type puller would be rather awkward to use. I used a screwdriver to pry out at the top and used my knee to push out the wheel at the bottom and tapped the spindle nut with my free hand. The purpose of leaving the nut on a few threads is twofold. It not only protects the spindle threads but it kept me from falling on my butt when it came loose.

NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one great forum! I was just smart enough to remember this thread and search for it before I broke my ribs or damaged my boat. So far.

I will soon (based on an optimistic assessment of manufacturer's promises and UPS shipping schedules) be installing a new helm seat, and have decided a new smaller diameter wheel with a thicker, more comfortable rim is in order. Hence the need to pull the old wheel. If the advice given here doesn't do the trick, I'll be back whining for help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: