The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Grand experiment failed, going back to Lewmar or ???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Grand experiment failed, going back to Lewmar or ??? Reply with quote

Those of you who are familiar with my Tom Cat know that a couple of seasons ago I took out the factory windlass and replaced it with an EZ Anchor Puller. I originally filled the drum with 1/2" Brait and 50' of chain, but found that I could only put a portion of the calculated capacity on the drum. Replaced the backing part of the Brait with twice as much 1/4" high-tech Kevlar-like Plasma from Puget Sound Rope here in Anacortes. After a lot of fiddling I ended up with 30' of chain, 75' of Brait and 125' of Plasma. But in order to get even that much to fit on the drum, I have to lay the rode on the drum as it winds in, otherwise it bunches up in the middle and jams against the windlass housing and/or the deck. Having to manually lay the rode is not only inconvenient it can be dangerous if you get your fingers caught.

Tonight the Admiral gave the order that the EZ Anchor Puller must go and that we should revert to the original factory windlass. If I am not mistaken, that windlass is the Lewmar Pro Series 700H -- would some other Tom Cat owner please verify that? Unfortunately, I sold my original windlass to Roger on the Sensei so I need to buy a new windlass. I did not hear anything bad about the Lewmar or have any problems with it, but I welcome suggestions as to alternative windlasses to consider. And if you have a 700H for sale, let me know.

Finally, anyone looking for a good deal on an EZ Anchor Puller? I still like this windlass and think it would be awesome on the right boat.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,

Mine had a vertical Lewmar windlass originally. It lasted about 2 years and I upgraded to a horizontal like you referenced. I got the Pro-Fish version and don't use the free fall feature. If yours had a vertical, see my album for the conversion details.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamer wrote:
If yours had a vertical, see my album for the conversion details.

I am a bit confused here -- don't you mean to say, if my original windlass was a horizontal? FTR, my original windlass did not look like the windlass in your album. It looked like the windlass from Fisheries, so hopefully it will just bolt right in place.

Warren
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Grand experiment failed, going back to Lewmar or ??? Reply with quote

Doryman wrote:
... If I am not mistaken, that windlass is the Lewmar Pro Series 700H -- would some other Tom Cat owner please verify that? ...

That's what I have on my Tomcat.

I too would opt for something that bolts into the existing footprint.

The free fall model appeals to me, but I never let the windlass take the anchoring load so I always go to the bow anyway. Since I'm going to the bow to secure the anchor line to a cleat the free fall would not offer as much advantage as it could. If dropping in a high current area where the time to walk forward and release the gypsy manually could be problematic the free fall version would have value.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the H on the Tom Cat and put the free fall on the C Dory 25. I didn't use the free fall feature much. I probably would not get it again (actually I had not ordered the feature--but accepted it when it came. (internet purchase),
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: