The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

25' C-Dory Cruiser--Permatrim
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
texasair

City/Region: Cypress, Texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bixby's Cub
Photos: Bixbys Cub
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

When I was getting some aluminum work done the welder kept dressing his wheels with a big stick of wax, I asked him and he said that it keeps the grinding discs from clogging up with the aluminum. Seemed to work.

Tex
toyman

City/Region: Lake Livingston
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Fan-C-Dory
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's on, these old hands will take a while to become useful again.

I took ~2.5" off of the fwd end of the PT (Permatrim), cut the "slot wider, and removed about 1/8" off of the top of the trim tab to allow the PT to fit between it and the cavitation plate - all by hand. Looks OK, but now, what is the 5200 for ?

In East Texas
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5200 to fill the gap between the plate and the Permatrim,...and to distribute the load on the cavitation plate--so it is on more than just the bolts....
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got out for some distance yesterday with the Permatrims installed on the twin 90s. Steering does take less effort as others have mentioned and with twins the trimming ability almost negates the use of our regular trim tabs. The big change is that I can push the bow down harder than I ever dreamed and something else I didn't really think of. Rough water handling. We were headed south out of Poulsbo yesterday against strong winds with gale gusts and the waves were built up from 4-5ft with the opposing tide. This type of surface usually forces us to throttle back to about 8 knots and bob our way through to avoid pounding. I guess with the virtual increase of our waterline, and ability to weight the bow more effectively, we are now enjoying the benifit of a bigger boat. We could hold 12-14 knots without pounding right into the wind and waves and we did so for miles down Port Orchard Passage with lots of wiper action. Cindie is sold and I am inspired to test more.

We did the install in the water with a ladder spanning the docks and careful handling of parts. I bolted one a bit different (bolt spacing) than the other but they are both solid of course and it only took about 2 hours for both.

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the major advantages of the Permatrims is to push the bow down. It is not necessarilly a longer waterline, but that you are pushing the sharp bow into the waves, rather than the relitatively flat bottom. Yes it makes a real difference in heavy weather.

However, you have to raise the motor up--because you do not want to have the bow down in either following, quartering or even beam seas. Having the bow down will cause "bow steering" and broaching. This can be a dangerous situation.
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have run a couple of trips with a Permatrim on a Yamaha 150 and it is almost absolutely necessary given the weight distribution in the boat. It has Lenco tabs installed and the most efficient cruise was with the tabs almost full down and motor full down. We picked up about .3 mpg with the Permatrim as now the tabs are 3/4 down and motor trimmed up some. On the top end, I can get to 5400 rpm and 33.5 mph without the prop cavitating. However any further trimming up results in porpoiseing if the water is anything but glass. That is running a 15 pitch 4 blade Solas with full fuel/gear but no water in the forward tank. This particular Permatrim is one that is mounted underneath the cavitation plate. I had to take a hacksaw to a small portion of the motor trim zinc so the Permatrim would clear it and mount flush to the cavitation plate.
38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually turned around a few times (against Cindie's wishes) to get waves on the beam and following and did notice the bow steering you mention. I wanted to feel it for myself and feel it I did although it wasn't much more than I noticed with tabs fully down before. That was all with the Portland Pudgy and electric outboard on the roof and I can't say I felt any handling difference from weight on the roof. I think the extra 200lbs of batteries on the cabin floor help out a little.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: