The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tomcat transom leak
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Update Reply with quote

matt_unique wrote:
<Some deletions>

Most of the rivets do not go all the way through, but over my leak (referenced in the picture at the start of this thread) it was just wide open air (as is the case with several other rivet holes along my transom). I initially drilled with a small diameter bit but there was no resistance and no drilled material. Upon closer inspection it was just a wide open tunnel through the rivet. So...makes sense that water would simply run right through the rivet canal and down the inside of my transom and into the bilge.

Not only should the

1.) rivet holes not be drilled all the way through the hull, but

2.) especially the empty rivet centers (where the mandrils come out of when the rivets are "popped") should be plugged to prevent water intrusion.

Moreover:

Anyone who has ever worked on a fiberglass boat much with a rivet gun should know or come to know the above, but particularly a manufacturer should be aware of it.

Better yet, unless access to the other side of the fastener is blind (occluded or unavailable), through bolting with S. S. machine screws, nylock nuts, and suitable washers with suitable sealants should be preferred and done.

This has been discussed and concluded before on several rubrail discussions.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps to complicate this a bit further, some rub rails (and hull to deck joints) are held in place with pop rivets, which are put all of the way thru the rub rail extursion and hull, with a washer on the back side (where it is accessable). The pop rivet expands behind that washer. I have to assume (or hope) that the pop rivets on the Tom Cat/ C Dories are monel or at least Stainless Steel. I would want to definately thru bolt any place which depends on the intregrety of the hull to deck joint.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Rail Reply with quote

I did a more careful inspection inside the hull to see if I could find more water intrusion along the rubrail rivets. I found a few but only on the starboard side between the end of the cabin and the transom. I plugged all the holes with 4200 and put the rubber back into the groove. As one may expect, it takes a few seconds to pull it out, and a lot more time to put it back in Very Happy It was a chilly day which added to the difficulty of course. I used my heat gun to warm about a foot or so at a time and used a screwdriver and rubber mallet to get it back in. The corners are the hardest and the engines/controls limit your room. I will clean the mold waterfalls inside where there was leaking and monitor it over the course of the season. I wonder if water may still get behind the rub rail and run along the outside of the rivets and into the hull. If yes, I will probably apply as thin a bead of LifeCaulk as I can along the entire top edge where the metal rubrail meets the hull.

During my inspection I noticed some water leaking in (tell tale mold path) around my port fuel vent. I loosened the vent shaft, applied a bead of LifeCaulk, then retightened.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: