The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bilge Pump reconfiguration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucky Day

City/Region: Churchton
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lucky Day
Photos: Lucky Day
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Bilge Pump reconfiguration Reply with quote

I ran a search on "bilge pump" and got a zillion hits. Hope someone might have answers for this particular situation:

I have an '04 CD-25. The oem Rule Mate 1100 failed three years ago and I replaced it with the same unit. The replacement's automatic function failed sometime after the large snowfall we had in the DC area about 6 weeks ago. The boat rode fine in the water with the snow accumulation. However, once the melting started the bilges filled with water and the boat settled into the water at the stern. I got a call from the marina about a week after the pump failure and, thankfully, got down to the boat while it was still floating. I switched the bilge pump on from the helm switch and the pump dewatered the boat just fine. I got in touch with Rule and they are sending me a new Rule Mate 1100 at no charge.

My questions are:

1 - I would like to put in the "most" reliable setup I can find. Would there be a better choice for an automatic pump than the Rule Mate product?

and

2 - I don't use the holding tank macerator. Would there be any reason not to rig a second bilge pump using the macerator's existing output hose and thru-hull?

All facts, thoughts, and ruminations are welcome.
cemiii

City/Region: Alamo
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: The Last One........ III
Photos: The Last One, III
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two bilges. They are both wired manually and automatic one from each battery bank. One is an 1100 and one a 500, both Rulemates and I have never had a problem with either though I almost prefer a separate float switch for ease of checking by just lifting.

This all stems from a trip to Catalina years ago. When I taxied back to where my boat was anchored, the taxi shined his lights were I thought I was and there was a boat nose sticking about 10 inches up. In the clear water you could see the boat perpendicular and sporting (it looked like) about 10# of remaining positive flotation in 100+ feet of water. Fortunately it turned out not to be mine, but that nauseous feeling, and knowing what awaited the other boater, has caused me always to be redundant in this area.

My backup pump is just plumbed high into the motor well. I know that's not perfect but I didn't want to cut another hull hole. Sounds like you already have a second that you can match up (size-wise) with a backup bilge.

Not an issue where I boat, but I suppose snow or ice could definately play havoc with any float switch. I don't know if the computerized models would be better for that situation. They turn on every few minutes and check for back pressure, I believe. Might be better if you have lots of battery juice (as in shore power). Periodic motion might aid in marginal freezing conditions?

Chris

matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Pumps Reply with quote

I second the advice of having multiple pumps. Also, when it rains you should prioritize a visit to the boat to make sure all is well.
Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never fully trusted or liked the "all in one" bilge pump. although I have them on some of my boats. I would wire in a float switch, and use the switched circuit for power. It is possible that you can replace the failed switch, but there is too much of a chance it will fail again. I think that the point about ice and freezing may well be valid. This can cause damage to the pump and switch.

The second pump, in your situation, is essential; Mount it just above the level where the pump turns on for the primary pump. You can use the thru hull fitting of the holding tank, but be sure and put a loop up as high as you can above the thru hull. You don't want this to become a back siphon into the boat! Plug the holding tank hose to the macerator pump and double hose clamp it.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
rogerar

City/Region: SW FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Duck
Photos: Duck
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This pump switch looks pretty bulletproof.

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/pump-float-switch-jr.-12-volt-135587/4,381.html

Roger
Lucky Day

City/Region: Churchton
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Lucky Day
Photos: Lucky Day
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses. I'll be getting to work on the second pump.

Just curious ---

any c-brats from the severe winter areas (AK, ID, MT, WI, MN, MI, etc. etc.) have any comments on dealing with ice in the bilges and how their bilge pumps survive the icing.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am converting over to Johnson pumps with sealed electronic switches (Ultima).see http://www.johnson-pump.com/JPMarine/products/bilge/ultimaswitch.html
I will vary the height of the switches but not the pumps
Both pumps will be wired to batteries and one pump will have a dash switch and plan to add a high water alarm.

For cold weather, I would use a full boat cover and pull transom plug and batteries. Sorry does not apply if boat is in the water. If have shore power look at heating cable

Last edited by BrentB on Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
designbug

City/Region: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Bella II
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my boat in the water here in Annapolis year round. When it gets really cold the small amount of water that is always in the bilge area freezes and my bilge pump won't work.

I've tried pouring a small amount of antifreeze into the bilge with limited success because it eventually gets pumped out. I really haven't found an answer and would like others suggestions. Fortunately since I work in Annapolis and am on the boat almost daily it hasn't been a big problem.

Also, the people at Annapolis City Marina are great...they always keep an eye on my boat! This has been an unusual year. Three times they've helped me remove several feet of snow from on top and in the cockpit of my boat.

Thanks, Dick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: