View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Marine plywood advice Reply with quote

So I am planning to buy some marine plywood to make a new seat for my inflatable. I have no idea what to ask for and would appreciate advice as to type, etc. The only kind I have heard of is Okume, as it is used often for boat hulls but IDK if it is the best kind for my application.

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren, I am not sure that you need to invest in marine plywood for something like a seat. Okume, also called gaboon, if I remember correctly is pretty damned expensive, and if it is just a seat... is overkill.

Personally, I would go down to a local lumberyard and pick up some good european or Canadian birch ply. Something with no voids and about 8 layers. It's not that expensive. Cut to size, router radius the edges, sand and stain/varnish...

I have the remains of a sheet in my shop that is destined to be exactly that... a seat for the dinghy...

Steve

Yellowstone

City/Region: White Sulphur Springs
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Farwest II
Photos: Farwest III
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren - Steve's advice is sound. I've used marine plywood, including Okume, Douglas fir, and teak buiilding small craft. All are very expensive, especially teak ply. Okume is softer and stains nicely, but Doug fir is stronger but checks. The interior laminations of teak faced ply tend to be very solt. You can get cabinet grade Canadian birch ply in half inch thickness. That has nine laminations with very smooth outside surfaces.
If half inch is not enough structure for your dinghy's span, glue two pieces together. The laminations are glued with water proof glues. Also through trial and error, I have learned to create a teak stained finish on birch plywood. Start with dark walnut penetrating stain brushed or ragged on. Quickly, with clean, dry rags, rub the finish so it is even. Then follow with red oak penetrating stain and rub the finish in the same manner as before. The red oak blends in nicely and it looks like teak. You can experiment with small pieces of ply to arrive at the color you want. Make sure the surfaces are dry before putting any kind of sealer and/or exterior finish. The nice aspect of cabinet grade birch faced ply is that you need not sand the outer surfaces before you apply the final finish.

John

Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stumbled onto this

Maybe ???

UncleRichie

City/Region: Bainbridge Is.
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Critter
Photos: C-Critter
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
How big a piece do you need have some real mahogany from old sail boat ? If I have a piece big enough you can have it.
Richard
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adeline wrote:
Just stumbled onto this

Maybe ???

I have a seat like that for my Avon 280 Rover inflatable. It has downward tabs on the ends of the seat that fit down into fabric slots or belts that are integrated into the sides of the tanks. You'd have to have the correct inflatable to use it.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: