View previous topic :: View next topic  
marco422

City/Region: Salt Spring Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Gaiasika
Photos: Gaiasika
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Water separator and sunlight Reply with quote

I was about to install a Sierra fuel filter (similar to Racor) in the splashwell in preparation for a trip to a unreliable fuel zone when I read that the filter should be installed away from direct sunlight. How important is this? I have seen lots of these installed in the splashwell, which obviously gets exposed to sun...
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Water separator and sunlight Reply with quote

marco422 wrote:
I was about to install a Sierra fuel filter (similar to Racor) in the splashwell in preparation for a trip to a unreliable fuel zone when I read that the filter should be installed away from direct sunlight. How important is this? I have seen lots of these installed in the splashwell, which obviously gets exposed to sun...

Mine are on the outside of my transom in sunlight. I've never heard of this being a problem.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the water filter exposed to sunlight is probably OK, if BC means British Columbia and not Baja California. Especially if you're using gasoline. Alge develops in diesel over time, and heat and sunlight make the alge grow. Especially if the filters sediment bowl is clear.

I didn't believe this was a problem, until I had a diesel engine with the concomitant tanks, filters, etc. in Florida and the Carolinas. The diesel would turn cloudy in the plastic on-deck tanks in short order.

Boris
rjmcnabb

City/Region: Pender Island (Southern Gulf Islands)
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Luna
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marco, I know you are not in Baja! Can you get an opaque bowl? Or wrap it with aluminum foil? My filter is in the splashwell; the cover is metal, but it is not a big deal to crack the bottom plug and drain a little into a can to see if there is water in the gas. I think algal/fungal growth in diesel is a real problem only if you have water in your fuel, and then the buggers grow at the interface between diesel and water.
Rod on Pender Rainbow Island.

Rod & Jane; Victoria 18 sloop (Vickie) - gone; Islander 26 Bahama sloop (Callisto) - gone; WW Potter 19 sloop (Spring) - gone; Com-Pac 16 sloop (Bummer II) - gone; Nimble 24 yawl (Chatelaine) - gone; Nimble Vagabond cruiser (Loligo) - gone; C-Dory 22 Cruiser (NoddyBleu) - gone; Com-Pac 19 sloop ('Winkle) - gone; San Juan 24 sloop (Loligo^2) - gone; C-Dory 16 cruiser (Luna); Catalina Capri 18 sloop (Later)
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it will be a problem in northern latitudes.

However, "algea" growth is not limited to diesel anymore. I was reading an article that another side effect of ethonal in fuel is that it has now provided a food source for the organisms that can grow in fuel. So gasoline is now able to support life!

360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: