The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bow Roller Placement and Other Modifications

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Bow Roller Placement and Other Modifications Reply with quote

Today the weather was around 5C here, beautiful and sunny. I decided to do a few things on my boat. I removed the old bow roller, all the old electonics and wiring.Only cut one wire i shouldn't of, the interior lite wire.

First i would like to know how far i should place my BRM4 bow roller off the bow. I did i mock up with the anchor/anchor, where i placed it there was about an inch of space between the anchor and the bow/hull . Would that be enough or should i place it as far forward where i am still able to get bolts in.

As to the electronics,after removing the electonics i am left with a GPS reciever and a 8 ft antenna on the roof that are useless to me now. Are there any commerial caps that i can buy to fit and seal these holes or do i have to plug and glass them... Thanks Tug
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bow Roller Placement and Other Modifications Reply with quote

Tug wrote:
Today the weather was around 5C here, beautiful and sunny. I decided to do a few things on my boat. I removed the old bow roller, all the old electonics and wiring.Only cut one wire i shouldn't of, the interior lite wire.

First i would like to know how far i should place my BRM4 bow roller off the bow. I did i mock up with the anchor/anchor, where i placed it there was about an inch of space between the anchor and the bow/hull . Would that be enough or should i place it as far forward where i am still able to get bolts in.

Thanks Tug

Don’t know what kind of anchor you have, but if it’s a Bruce type you’re going to whack the bow every time you pull it up with only an inch of clearance. I think there’s about 2 inches of clearance on mine and wish there was more. Unless you pull down on the anchor shank as soon as possible when bringing it on board you’ll be chipping away at your gel coat. I have to do the same on mine, so wish the roller extended out more…a future project for sure.

Jay

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
Tug

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay...forgot to mention its a Claw type anchor. I will move it as far forward as possible just to be safe. Thanks
Tug
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claw or Bruce, I think they are synonymous.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tug: I like it when I see someone tossing some TLC towards a classic! Thanks!

On the thru holes, I would go back and see what was done the first time the holes were drilled out. If it looks like they were coated in some nice epoxy, then the thru bolts put in to secure what ever was mounted, with a bit of 4200 or similar to prevent leaks... If you can not tell if there is any epoxy on the holes, put some in there, allow it to cure/dry. Then, put the shortest possible stainless bolts w/plastic washers back in place with stainless nuts....using again a bit of 4200 or similar. Then, just check out your local hardware store, I know our local ACE hardware has the plastic caps for both the nuts and screw/bolt heads. That makes for a clean finish...and, some day...when you are ready to put more toys back on the boat, the holes are ready...unless you need to drill them out larger...and then...start back with the epoxy. It just takes a few minutes more. This also prevents you from getting a "dalmatian" look on your interior gel coat too which will happen with the glass work.

I have also found the use of eye nuts to be sweet at times. It gives you a "spot" to hang things, loop something thru rather than just capping off a nut, but, they may be too large (the eye nut) for the whole you have or come down too low in the cabin and become a head banger spot. I like the eye nuts.

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Tug

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman............good idea..never thought of that and it makes for a clean looking and easier /repair. Thanks i will go that route.

Tug
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman's suggestions are excellent. You may have some holes where the cables went thru--and these may be too big for the bolts. You can fill with glass mat, and polyester resin, then fair the surface with polyester resin and filling compound (such as cabosil)--then gel coat. It will not match the non skid (although you can take a Dremel tool and re-creat that if you wish).

The question I have is, why are you going without a radio and GPS?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Tug

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway.....i have a newer GPS and fishfinder that i will install. I still have the CB and Marine radio antenna still left on the roof. The antenna that i remove was wired to some Loran LAT/Long..display....i hope. ha!ha!
Tug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: