View previous topic :: View next topic  
dutch123

City/Region: Prince George
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Reel Action
Photos: Reel Action
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Best microwave for 22 cruiser Reply with quote

I'm sure this topic has been covered in depth somewhere but can someone give some advice/info on best microwave model and location for a 22. Also what type of inverter is required/perfered? Thanks for the help.
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a truck camper on our Ford and haul our 22' Cruiser. We bought a Wal Mart on sale 700w microwave, I think a GE, for $39 or $49, for dual use. It is quite small and light. It does more than pop popcorn and heat water; it can cook. The problem with anything smaller is that it is a pop corn maker or a cup of coffee heater. Not what I wanted.

We use our Honda 2000i to power it. The Honda powers it with no problem as long as that's all you're running at one time. Have used it mostly on the camper. I think you would need some major battery power to be able to power it. Inverter numbers, volts, watts, and that sort of stuff is best left to those on this site that know. I have seen the posts, but I stop reading - too complicated for me.

It stores in the camper. If put on the boat, I would find a temporary place out of the way until I needed it. For me and the frequency that I would use it, there is no need for a permanent install. The cabin is small enough without installing a microwave permanently, for my needs. I have seen some others mount on a custom bracket. There are photos on the site. Do a quick search.

Hope this helps.

John
Swee Pea
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally can't think of any place on a 22 CD that I would make room for a microwave. Still haven't used the built in one in our truck camper due to the need of generator running or other auxiliary power to use it and it would be the same on the boat. Might be a handy item if enough time is spent with shore power at the dock, but with a generator seems more effort would be spent setting up the generator then heating with regular means. I agree with John's suggestion of storing it out of the way, but I would be hard pressed to find such a spot on the Hunkydory.

Jay

Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

860 watts means that a 1000 watt generator can power it

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete, that looks like a good combination for those whom having a microwave is important. Also I think your choice of the Yamaha 1000 is better for a CD 22 then the 2000. The reason we went with the Honda 2000 is for its use powering the air conditioner in the truck camper too. Your photo of the microwave shows just how much space has to be given up to bring it along and why we do without, especially on a long cruise.

Jay
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small 900 watt also. it runs fine with my 1000 watt pro line inverter and of course my Honda 2000. You can see my installation on page two of my album. I use it mostly for breakfast sandwiches and the grandchildren think it is cool to have popcorn on the boat.

It's something in the water!
Socrateur

City/Region: Danville
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Skipper
Photos: Sea Skipper
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch - Beware; a microwave that works on shore power or a generator might not work on inverter power. In fact, you might be hard pressed today to find a microwave oven that will work on inverter power. Notice in Minnie Swann's album (Fairbro's post) that his unit is a Sunbeam with mechanical dial switches for on/off (timer) and power level, not solid state controls. Same for Adeline's unit. The microwave on my boat is also a Sunbeam with mechanical controls.

I was told by the original owner of my boat that he was unable to get modern microwaves with solid state controls to work on inverter power. If someone has a solid state controlled microwave that works on inverter power, hopefully he will pipe up and let us know.

Socrateur

City/Region: Danville
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sea Skipper
Photos: Sea Skipper
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post deleted.
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, the only microwave I’d consider on a C-dory is one filled with concrete and tossed over the side....with line a buoy attached. Smile Thumbs Up

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

breausaw wrote:
Personally, the only microwave I’d consider on a C-dory is one filled with concrete and tossed over the side....with line a buoy attached. Smile Thumbs Up

It's nice that we can all equip our boats in the way that best suits our use. I chuckle when I read some of these comments, knowing that some folks probably think a microwave in their home is a waste of space, too. It's not unusual for us to spend months at a time onboard... making the boat as "home-like" and comfortable means we'll likely spend more time out.

If one uses the boat for fishing, you'd sure equip it differently from those who use it for cruising. While compact, these boats are adaptable.

We put a microwave on our 25 last year when we spent a couple months on the Erie Canal, Hudson River, and Trent-Severn Waterway. Plenty of opportunities for a plug-in when cruising those areas. The 25 has more real estate than the 22; I made a temporary shelf for the microwave for the top of the locker behind the aft dinette seat. Getting back to the original question here, in the 22 you could put the microwave on the table, under the table on the floor, or build a shelf above the galley area.

For the record, we swapped our the microwave for the toaster oven that trip. Cool Sometimes it's nice to have fresh baked goods while cruising. Or, I suppose you could fill the toaster oven with concrete, too, and use it as a dual anchor with the microwave! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Best wishes,
Jim B.

toyman

City/Region: Lake Livingston
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Fan-C-Dory
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also went with the toaster oven and SHE loves it. The one we got was also a convection oven with a rotisserie in it - works well. We do have fish on the Fan-C-Dory periodically - canned salmon. Jim, if I remember correctly, smells around the door of a restaurant to see if they sell fish before going in, don't know what he'd do if a live one ended up in "Wild Blue"... Rolling Eyes Very Happy
In East Texas
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just completed a microwave install on our 22' c-dory. have several pictures on my album. feel free to check them out and let me know what you think.
best regards and good luck
pat
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrick and linda wrote:
just completed a microwave install on our 22' c-dory. have several pictures on my album. feel free to check them out and let me know what you think.
best regards and good luck
pat

Nice Job, Pat! Great use of the "Ice Box" space!

That's the same microwave I have in my 22, though in my boat it just sets on top of my propane stove. That particular microwave appears with quite a few different name plates or badges on it, but they're all the same, and made in China. 700 watts as I remember. (Raining too hard outside to go take a look).

I power it with a 1000 watt inverter, which takes the load better on start up than a Honda 1000i generator. Of course, we use shore power if we have it.

Pat's Neat Installation:

11/06/2009, removed frig/cooler

11/20/09 works great, total refit was less than $80.00. microwave, $50, shelf and door $15, hinges, door knob, magnetic door lock, screws, about $10.

cabinet door opened

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks joe,
thanks for posting pictures, i'm still learning this system and haven't mastered transferring photos from the album to a post. it was a fun and inexpensive project to accomplish. for linda and me the frig was a waist of space and we needed a coffee warm up system more so than a cooler. have large cooler kept in cockpit.
pat
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toaster Oven for us as well. My wife is thrilled with it and I certainly endorse it because of all of the culinary delights my wife produces from it! In my opinion, it is more useful, (in the hands of someone that can cook....not me), than a microwave. In the toaster oven, Carol makes breakfast, hot sandwiches, lasagna, etc, etc. ummm, good! Smile
C-Brat #16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: