Condensation in the cabin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwatson12830

City/Region: Mardela Springs
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunter
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Condensation in the cabin Reply with quote

I have a 22 ft C-Dory Cruiser and am having a lot of condensation in the cabin. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what did you do to stop it.
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone is going to tell you to use the search function on this subject because there has been tons of discussion on the subject. That is because all of us who have overnited on our boats have experienced the problem and we have discussed ways to deal with it.

However the search function on the site will return tons of unrelated stuff as well, so I am going to give you a link to get you started on your quest.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=12145&highlight=condensation

But do go ahead and try the search as well...but be prepared to do a lot of sorting.

Good Luck

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r,

If you're talking about condensation when the boat is stored, here is one of the solutions.

It draws about 100w, same as a light bulb. It's safe and effective. Available at most marine outlets.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
Mike...

State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: Accelerando
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Condensation in the cabin Reply with quote

rwatson12830 wrote:
I have a 22 ft C-Dory Cruiser and am having a lot of condensation in the cabin. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what did you do to stop it.

I had it bad a while back (I'm in Virginia). It was like a rain forest in there. The result was a bunch of mold that took some work to get rid of, but we were successful at it.

Anyway, I tried four of the large DampRid buckets, but that didn't work. So we bought one of these (but from BestBuy) and it works great. The house is completely dry.

The dehumidifier sits right atop the sink, and empties directly into the drain via a short hose. It also seems to heat the house a bit, which is good with all this global warming going on here lately. Shocked
---
mike
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have one of these and it works great and draws little power. The tank fills up in about 10-15 days of moored storage but I generally visit or use the boat that often anyway. It fits behind the sink faucet securely on our 25.

http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-Edv-1100-Electric-Petite-Dehumidifier/dp/B000H0ZDD2/ref=pd_sim_k_1

It could be rigged to run in the sink using a hose tapped into the little tank or without the tank if you needed to leave it unattended for longer periods.

Keeps the boat bone dry and allows me to leave wet items in the boat after use knowing the moisture won't last long in there.

In the right conditions, it actually produces a little bit of ice above the tank for a tiny cocktail!

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Spike

City/Region: Kent
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bootleg Hooch
Photos: Bootleg Hooch
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using one of those DampRids buckets and have had great results with them. Just put it on the floor in front of the V berth and go out and empty it every ten days or so. Refill the granuals when needed. No fuss no muss. No power cords to worry about. No moving parts to break. Just do not spill any of the liquid that it collects on metal. The granuals are calsium chloride. Will rust right before your eyes
Chuck
Bootleg Hooch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: