Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GxK

City/Region: Frenchman's Bay, Lake Ontario
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: At Last! ex Goose
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Cobb Grill vs Magma Catalina or Newport Grill Reply with quote

We're trying to make a decision about which gas grill to purchase. We're read much of what has been posted in the past.

Does anyone have experience with both the Magma grills AND the Cobb?

The Cobb, with its apparent ability to grill, roast, smoke and fry, looks most interesting. If you've cooked with a Cobb, how would you compare it to the more conventional grill like the Magma?

Your feedback and advice will be most appreciated.

--Georgs

Frenchman's Bay, Lake Ontario
http://tomcat-tales.blogspot.com/
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Georgs,

The Cobb isn't a gas grill - it's charcoal. We have a Cobb and a Magma (propane), and they are completely different. The Cobb is a much slower cooker and works great for pork tenderloin, roast, that sort of thing. We've tried making steaks on it, and I'm not a big fan of that. For steaks, burgers (foods where you want to sear the meat, the Magma is better. We find that our Magma (an oldie) tends to get real hot, even with the gas set on low.

So, just this unsophisticated guy's opinion - they are so different in use and results that it's like the old apples and oranges comparison.

I'm sure others will chime in, as we heard about the Cobb on this forum.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have a Magma, but I do have a Cobb. To echo what Jim says, they are two different systems. The Magma is a typical gas grill, with flames. The Cobb was designed to cook, bake, using heat from 6 charcoal briquettes with the top of the Cobb on, no flames. It is very versatile, with a wok attchment, fry pan attachment, and a searing grill attachment, to get it to cook those steaks and burgers similar to a open flame grill. The bottom is cool to the touch, so you can move it around while you cook. You can table top it or, with a few easy mods, mount it like I did on a Magma mount on the gunwale. You can take it to the beach or tail gate party. I believe if you shop around, it is way less expensive than the Magma and is very inexpensive to operate. It does take more time to be cook ready, but you put the food "on", put the top on, and let it be. No constant turning and guarding against flame ups. No real moving parts to wear out and replace $$$$$. It is a pretty ingenious little cooker. You can even bake a pizza on it.

This is not an infommercial for the Cobb. Wink Oh yeah, go to YouTube and see the Cobb in action.

John
Swee Pea
Fishhawk

City/Region: Bon Secour
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgs,

You may want to consider an inexpensive Coleman propane grill. Ours works real well even in the wind. It folds up real flat and we store it under the stern dinette seat.

I built a PVC pipe frame in order to set it up in the center stern rod holder. The grill is as far away from the gas tank vents as I could make it.

A pic can be seen in our album. It's not the best pic, but it's the only one I have right now. Here's a link:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Osprey&id=Coleman_Propane_Grill&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

If you would like more info, I'd be obliged to help.

Capt Dan

GxK

City/Region: Frenchman's Bay, Lake Ontario
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: At Last! ex Goose
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Cobb vs Magma Reply with quote

Thanks to all who replied to clarify the difference between the Cobb charcoal grill and the Magma gas grills.

We'll be ordering the Magma ChefsMate Connoisseur tomorrow. It's several pounds lighter than the Magma Newport.

--Georgs
stlof

City/Region: Birmingham, AL
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Photos: C-Tide
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, and you can't beat that good old propane taste.

Hank Hill

dredger

City/Region: Havre de grace
State or Province: MD
Vessel Name: Seabert
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Magma vs Cobb Reply with quote

I have not used a Cobb grill but I do own a new Magma. It works fine but you have to really watch your food. Just like someone else said it cooks very hot even on the lowest setting. You can burn up a good steak really quick.
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Grill Reply with quote

Fishhawk wrote:
You may want to consider an inexpensive Coleman propane grill. Ours works real well even in the wind. ....

I have never used the Cobb, but I did own a Magma grill for many years. I eventually got rid of it because it goes out easily in any sort of wind. It's also very hot of course and requires a long cool down period before you can stow it away. I thought it cooked fine though in calm wind.

--Matt

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Magma Newport and the Cobb grill. I use the Cobb most of the time. You can cut up veggies, 1" corn cobs, potatoes, etc. and drop them in the "moat" area. You can bake, use the Wok, the skillet, the chili bowl, etc. on the Cobb or move some of them on the Newport.

I use 10-12 briquets in the Cobb if I am searing a steak - to my thoughts it gets plenty hot. I cook pizza on it regularly as well as cinnamon rolls, omelets, small roasts, ribs, brats, etc.. It browns and chars fine to my thoughts.

The Cobb is handy where ever you go - not limited to the boat. I use it as a cockpit heater in the winter.

The Magma Newport is nice in that the shelf tray, tongs, fork and spatula can be locked inside for storage.

The biggest problem with the Cobb is waiting for the coals to burn out so you can dump the ashes.

The flavor with the Cobb is superior to the gas powered Magma. The Magma is tough to control the heat - to me, it runs pretty hot so will burn the outside of a steak before cooking the center much. It is OK - not a bad cooker.

John
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i don't have either, so i'm waiting to see who will be the first to invite me for a cook out. i enjoy my stake medium well and please saute the onions, mushrooms and peppers in a nice virgin olive oil. don't worry about the wine, i'll bring that as well as desert. my wife just informed me that i'm not going anywhere without her so, i guess you might have to throw another stake on. this is crazy, but just received an email from, brydman, charlie, joe, jim, dr. bob, capt. mattie, nick, sarge, jim and sandy, tom, danag and tyboo, c-pearl, president obama, as well as britney spears, they all want to attend as well. better invite us quick, this thing is getting out of hand.
best regards to the person offering to host this cook out.
pat
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobb now sells it's own "charcoal", described below. Some of its ads say ready to cook in 3 minutes, below says 15 minutes.

Cobb claims:

Lokkii Charcoal a is Ready-to-Light Solid Charcoal Brick with a 100% Organic firelight formula is a one of a kind! The Charcoal Brick is scientifically designed to provide a consistent long burning cooking source while keeping all materials natural to avoid taste degradation, as well as unhealthy fumes.

No fire-starter is required since it lights instantly. Ready to cook in less than 15 minutes and burns for up to 3 hours. Each brick is double sealed in plastic, making it ideal for boaters and a "MUST HAVE" for hurricane supplies. Campers and Tailgater's love the long lasting heat: Grilled Shrimp Appetizers, Roasted Chicken & Potatoes for Dinner and S'mores

You can go to http://www.cobbq.com/shopexd.asp?id=172 and see for yourself.

John
Swee Pea
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify a big difference:

On the Cobb, the meat juices do not drip into the charcoal - they are funneled off to the side to drip into a "moat" area which surrounds the fire. You can put water in here with veggies and the fat will float on the top to be skimmed off if you wish, or you can put rice, corn, potatoes, whatever into the moat and let the meat juices drip into them. The only smoke flavor on the Cobb is from the charcoal or the wood smoke chips you drop into the coals, NOT from burning fat.

On the Magma grills, the meat juices drip onto the heated area and the burning fat flavors the meat. This is not as pleasant a smoke flavor as the Cobb gets.

As for Charcoal on the Cobb, my instructions advise 8 briquets for most uses, not six. Although I guess six could work to heat something up, it will not likely get hot enough to properly cook a thick steak or porkchop. I usually use 10 briquets, cook steaks or chops on top, veggies below and finish up with some bisquits or cinnamon rolls.

John

John
jhwilson

City/Region: Mitchell County
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Placid C
Photos: Placid C
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who use the Cobb on a 22 Cruiser, where do you locate the grill for use?

When we rented Marc Grove's (Wefings) 25 Cruise ship a couple of years ago it had a Cobb and we were really impressed. Now with our 22 Cruiser just wonder where it would be simple and safe to locate while in use.

Thanks in advance.

Harper

Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. John,

When you bake biscuits or cinnamon rolls, are you using a special accessory, or just laying them on the grill you just used to cook the meat?

Thanks,

Rob
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

In order to "bake" something must be placed on top of the regular grill plate to keep the biscuits/rolls off of direct heat for best results. There is a video online of that Australian chef cooking biscuits way over to the sides so they get mainly indirect heat.

I bought the accessory set with the flat skillet, wok, ridged, flat griddle, and large bowl and usually use the flat skillet as the oven bottom and a wire grill (also in the accessory kit) as an oven rack onto which some things are placed directly and others are placed onto some other piece or small oven pan or foil pan, eg brownies.

So, in an emergency when you have only the standard cone shaped grill , you can bake by putting the dough on the outside edges, but you have to open and turn the rolls or the inside half will cook before the outside half. You can also tear up the dinner rolls or cinnamon rolls into thirds and the smaller pieces cook more rapidly and more evenly.

For pizza, I use the regular, slightly cone shaped standard griddle to brown just the pizza dough on one side, then use another accessory to dump the half cooked dough and place the uncooked side down with the funnel shaped grill upside down - so any excess filling will tend to flow to the center instead of over the edges, and place the toppings on top of the dough after flipping it. I like crisp pizza.

Another option is to use flour or corn tortillas on the standard grill in the same manner - upside down for the addition of toppings.

You can cook biscuits at the same time as the chops/chicken/steaks if there is enough room around the edges. The 1/3 roll pieces make this easier.

I guess you all know that you can easily cook flattened whole chickens, roasts, briscit, etc. on this and put the potatoes, carrots, peas, etc. in the moat.
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: