The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2 Batteries for 16' Angler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: 2 Batteries for 16' Angler Reply with quote

Just when I thought I was all through with projects (for C-Dancer), I bought the 16' Angler from David and am now contemplating projects for the new (to me) boat.

Question: Since I'll be using the 16' primarily for fishing in the Central Sound, should I be thinking about adding another battery for the electronics and downriggers? In other words, have other fishing 16' owners added a 2nd battery or is one battery sufficient?

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... add the second battery....I don't know why, but everytime we get a new small boat, that's the first thing Dotty asks for, no kidding.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option if you're going to put a kicker on, is to get one with a charging system to keep the battery topped up while trolling. Heck I only had one battery in my 22 for a year before I went to 2, and it was fine for fishing, but I was pretty good at keeping tabs on the voltage.

Sark
J & C

City/Region: Bainbridge Island
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: TBD - previously "Plain D"
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We installed a second battery for similar reasons - downrigger, electronics including planned for radar. I also installed one of these: http://www.ezacdc.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=109 to manage the batteries and be sure to have sufficient charge left in the primary to start the outboard. It has a voltage sensitive relay that controls recharging from the outboard alternator. The primary battery is charged first and then the secondary, when the batteries are drawn down they are both used until a cut-off voltage is reached at which point the primary battery is cut out of the circuit. You can also - in case of emergency - connect both in series manually.

DD
16Pounder

City/Region: Gallipolis
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: 16Pounder
Photos: 16Pounder
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a second battery to run the electronics and an isolator to keep it from dischaging the starter battery if it goes down. Both batteries charge from the main motor which works well if you travel a decent distance to your fishing location. I found it didn't keep it charged when fishing on small lakes though. I installed the second deep cycle battery in the cuddy on the starboard side. It seems to balance the kicker weight on the port side and keeps weight out of the stern area which is a good thing.
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think two batteries run through a 3 way switch is the simplest way to go, and both batteries should be deep cycle. As far as I’m concerned a cranking battery has no place on a boat, there for cold weather cranking in a car or truck when you need that extra amperage. A deep cycle will give you more years of service and maintain a higher level of amperage much longer than a cranking battery; I wouldn’t leave port without two fully charged batteries.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[color=darkred]Peter - I am in the "absolutely" camp on two batteries! When I disconnect the oil injection junk and get rid of the oil reservoir on Crabby Lou, I am going to put in a second battery. It just does not seem prudent to be out with a single battery running the risk of it not having sufficient charge to start your engine! am in the "absolutely" camp! When I disconnect the oil injection junk and get rid of the oil reservoir on Crabby Lou, I am going to put in a second battery. It just does not seem prudent to be out with a single battery running the risk of it not having sufficient charge to start your engine!

Also, when you have two batteries and a single main engine, you really need a VSR (voltage sensing relay) switch. This makes sure that your starting battery is fully charged first and then switches charging automatically to the house battery only when the starting battery is fully charged. How is C-Dancer set up?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the replies. Yes, I pretty much made up my mind to add another battery. I will also be adding a VSR as well, the Blue Seas system that J&C described.

Pat, we have a two battery system on C-Dancer. I replaced the original batteries at the start of this past boating season so I do know the comfort of having 2 batteries.

Oh well, just another project to add to the list, plus more $$$ into the boat(s). Hey, no one told me it was twice the cost to own two boats!!! Teeth

Peter
Montana Kev

City/Region: Bozeman/Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Grace
Photos: Grace
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any feedback on moving the batteries up under the seats to help balance the boat? I know several people have done this. I wonder if there is a significant difference in how the boat planes. My 16 cruiser always feels stern heavy with it's 2 batteries.

Thanks,
Kevin
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
[
Also, when you have two batteries and a single main engine, you really need a VSR (voltage sensing relay) switch. This makes sure that your starting battery is fully charged first and then switches charging automatically to the house battery only when the starting battery is fully charged. How is C-Dancer set up?[/size]

Agree, however..

A duel battery Perko switch will also allow you to maintain full charge on your starting battery; just switch over to your second battery when maximum voltage occurs with your starting battery. I usually make the switch about 30 to 60 minutes into a trip; just another less tech alternative.

Jay
seabeagle

City/Region: Farmington Hills
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Beagle II - Sold 4-19-12
Photos: Sea Beagle II
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run 2 batteries with a simple isolator. Both are marine, one is a starting batt and the other is an electronics batt. I moved both under the seats to save space and make room for the 3 portable gas tanks and put them in plastic boxes in case of leaks. With all of the electronic goodies in our 16, I needed 2 batteries.

http://www.youtube.com/SeaBeagleII
DoryLvr

City/Region: Cape Charles
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Litl' Tug
Photos: Litl' Tug
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a house battery under the passenger seat on my cruiser. I keep it charged with a solar panel I mounted on the roof. It gives me piece of mind with two batteries and when I spend the night on it, I don't worry about using the cabin lights or a lamp. I have a little inverter that runs small regular appliances too (computer, dvd, lamp with small CF bulb). Highly recommended.

"The art of seamanship is never allowing yourself to get in a situation where you have to know anything about the subject."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: