View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Why the overhead mount? Reply with quote

I have always been fasinated by the almost unanimous choice of mounting of VHF radios in an overhead position. It seems to me that reaching and looking up is awkward especially if it is an emergency situation. The mike cord often dangles in front of the helmsman and seems to be as distracting as a pair of fuzzy dice. The same rule seems to apply to truck drivers. What's up with that?

It's something in the water!
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the electronics I could get overhead are overhead. The choice is between instruments/equipment I need to see frequently and those I can do without. In the former category are the depth sounder, in the latter, the gas gauge.

It's a lot easier for me to glance up to get information, and still keep my eyes on where we're going than trying to glance down at the dash. It also keeps the dash (if you will) clear and the instruments out of the way when we're anchored or in port. We are cruisers, and it's more convenient to have a shelf on which to put marina guides, the camera, binocs, the fan, etc. Note the AM/FM radio is above the overhead panel, because it's off when we're underway. Also the autopilot control is below, because I only set the course, not read it.

As for the radio, Judy runs the communications dept: VHF radio and cell phone. Having the radio overhead was her idea, and seems to allow her to have her reference material in front on the dash and work the radio at the same time. By the way, Judy's the radio operator for the local emergency team (CERT) since she practiced on the marine bands.

Boris
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: built in speakers Reply with quote

This may be too simple of an answer, and it is relatively easily circumnavigated by adding another accessory (an external speaker), but most of the radios have the built in speakers grilled (facing) out of the bottom of the radio. Not all, but many, (and that was true of the CB's used in trucks too).

Harvey
SleepyC

GOYO

City/Region: Bonney Lake
Photos: GOYO
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thought is electronics should be mounted in what ever position is most convenient for the operator. All my electronics are mounted down. GPS, chartplotter, fishfinder directly in front on top of dash (speedometer position) Radar right of GPS on dash. Radio right side just forward of throttle lever (radio has controls on hand mic). I think the majority of the time the location up/down is dictated by the unit size and sight lines. I bought electronics based on where i wanted them mounted and available space, probably a different approach than most.
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our radar is the only electronic gear mounted overhead on Valkyrie. Our radio is also mounted just forward of the throttle and the remainder are on the dash. I know of many boats with a non-overhead radio mount, but they are obviously not evident (or easily seen) in our albums.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Operator Reply with quote

GOYO wrote:
My thought is electronics should be mounted in what ever position is most convenient for the operator....

I agree, and for me I wanted everything down. The only instrument above the helm is the compass. Radar/plotter and depth gauge is parallel to and to the left of helm, and the radio is to the lower right of helm.

--Matt

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially I mounted the VHF just forward of the throttle, facing up and the radar hanging from the overhead mount like Boris's photo. I found I needed an external speaker up on the mount just to hear the VHF at reasonable volume level all the way to the stern and grabbing the mike was OK if I was sitting at the helm but it was much less convenient if I stood up or was moving around the cabin. When I switched to the C-80 system everything but the VHF was directly ahead of me on the dash and the VHF was moved to an overhead location. Overall it was much more convenient and very easy to use, especially if the boat was doing angles and dangles. I did put both VHF pucks up there and would likely put a stereo system there, otherwise dash height is best.

Don
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an emergency, haiving the radio up means a person can run it from the middle of the boat while staning- either if the helmsman was otherwise occupied, or if someone is standing up in the center of the boat to better see out.

Otherwise, put it where it works best for you and your set up. This is another of those things where there is no "right" answer.

360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to be able to read the channel numbers. My radio is on the the helm about knee high and I can see the numbers, but can't make them out. Someday I'm gonna get a shelf and move that radio up there.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like having the radio on the shelf because it's easier for people other than the person who is driving to operate it. It doesn't interfere with the sight lines and I have no problem with the cord hanging down.
mmitchell

City/Region: Whittier
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: ShiRoz
Photos: ShiRoz
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal preference. We have nothing obstructing the windows. We have the radio mounted on the self below the steering. Less is better M2C.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the ham radio (SSB, 6 meter, 2 meter, 440) mounted on the "shelf" along with Sirius and the audio sterio. There is an external speaker. The VHF radios are mounted below the dash--one is a "black box, with remote mike--which has all of the information, including Lat Long, and this is also connected with DSC to the Standard Horizon chart plotter for location. The second radio is in the open, below the helm. The first radio can be utalized anywhere in the boat, but I don't assign communication to my wife. I moniter the radios; if we are in a critical situation visiability, there is one set of eyes on the water, the other on the various chart plotters and radar. My radar is overhead, but the chart plotters are just below my line of sight. The reason to put the chart plotters below the line of sight, is that it is easier to see, especially if you wear bi or tri focals!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: