The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

RADAR: Section 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: RADAR: Section 3 Reply with quote

RADAR

Risk of Collision and Action to Avoid Collision.

Section III

Practice, practice, practice - Okay? You wouldn't buy a four-figure bag of sticks and run out and play against Tiger, so don't even think about installing your radar and immediately go running around in the fog. Every experienced Brat radar user will agree that interpreting what all of those dots on the screen mean and how to keep from bumping into them is truly an acquired - and acquirable - skill. And that means lots of practice. Install your radar, read and understand your owner's operating manual, study the pertinent rules, then use your radar in good visibility until you are familiar and comfortable with it. Compare what you see visually with what your radar shows - you will quickly learn that the size of a dot often has little relationship to the size of the vessel. For example, a bow-on view of a huge oil tanker will generate a small dot; as the aspect ratio changes and you see him broadside the radar return can be so strong it will be huge, creating false echoes, and forming circles around the center of your screen. These phenomena and how to reduce them will be discussed later, but they can certainly surprise you the first time out.

Remember, this is a pretty good pre-school. Read for free, get all of your questions answered, and get advice from many old experienced Brat radar users. And then, if you want or need more, as soon as C-Salt is launched and operational you are invited to come to our little marina at Deception Pass and we'll go out and study together in and around the Pass area. Fun for me, fun for you, but it might cost you a Moose Drool or Catman-level catnip. Bring your copilot if you'd like. Heck of a deal, eh? Even have two displays aboard, so we can have a bunch of heads looking - color or gray scale - your choice.

So how do you get familiar with your new Toy? Glad you asked, because now is a good time to start digging into Risk of Collision (rule 7) and Action to Avoid Collision (rule 8). Because we are emphasizing the use of our radar to avoid a collision rather than to navigate, both of these rules are at the top of our "must know" list. I don't want to avoid the navigating capability of radar, but I think most of us have GPS charts of some kind so our focus for now is on avoiding collisions. Those of you who want to get into radar navigation please let me know and we'll do it. I'm unbelievably happy that we are in the pub, because my radar navigation and bombing duties in the nose of a Strategic Air Command bomber, 300-400 ft. of altitude at 400+ knots, in rough 3+g verticals in mountainous terrain and thunderstorms - for three long years - were pure stress. I turn green thinking about it and will probably need a beer. Waterborne radar navigation is easy in comparison because you can slow down, or stop, and evaluate the situation.

Rule 7 states that a vessel must use all available means to determine whether a risk of collision exists. This means that you must check the bearing of any approaching ship - either visually or by radar. If the bearing remains steady you will collide. Checking visually is usually easy. We all do it when we are out boating, and the best way is to see which way the relative bearing of the vessel moves. If the bearing moves aft, the vessel will pass astern - and if forward it will pass ahead of you. If the bearing is steady you have a risk of collision and must act accordingly. If you can hold a steady heading the same procedure is valid with radar, and some of the newer radars have an electronic bearing line (or lines) you can place on the vessel in question and watch the bearing movement. If you cannot hold a steady heading you must get a magnetic bearing - the easy way for me is to quickly head toward the vessel, wait for the compass to steady, take a quick reading, and then go back to my original heading. A little later I repeat the same procedure and see which way the bearing is moving. Practice and you'll find that it's easy, and if you practice in good weather it becomes second nature when you are in low visibility.

The bearing is steady, so now what? So lets pause and give y'all a chance to read and STUDY these two rules, and we'll get going after the recess. Best we do it this way because there is much to learn, and my rambling will make a lot more sense if you've done your homework.

Dusty

My gawd, this is interesting. Even for a paper chart and compass guy.

great stuff Dusty, thanks ever-so-much for sharing your wisdom. Can't wait for the next installment
I'm a radar rookie and a firm believer in bonding with your equipment before it's needed. I found the radar to be real nice rear view mirror on nice days, especially in the Sound, I like to keep an on blips behind me

Thanks Brock and B-C -

Makes me feel better than good to know that folks read this stuff. We are just now starting to get into the interesting part so stick around. I sort of promised that I wouldn't, but to make this all fit I'll have to get into some of the general rules other than just those pertaining to low visibility. Good stuff to know even if all you do is drift around the Islands and watch birds!

This is a fun, fun project for me and it makes me dig back in my notes and books. Sure beats the rocking chair!

Dusty

And B-C I agree totally with the guys behind. Nothing gets my hackles up more than being surprised by some goon passing me close aboard with a wake higher than my little boat, and with a silly grin and a single finger in the air. I use my radar almost all the time that I'm underway and always keep a watch behind. I could look over my shoulder, but just too lazy. One thing you quickly learn when in low visibility - the hazards come from all directions and it really is necessary to keep a 360 degree lookout. The commercial crab boats are the worst offenders in our area, because they buzz around in the soup at 20-30 knots and don't seem to even look at their radars. I hate to put them down as a group, but the majority that I meet out there are that-a-way. Radar is a jewel when you need to keep track of that kind of crap.

Dusty

Good stuff Dusty. Not to get off the subject, but I know what you mean when those bucking broncos come flying by you with a huge wake and just about swamp you. I really love it when I'm fighting a fish! Makes me want to mount a torpedo on 'Ol C-Lou and blast their *%!!@ out of the water. Now that I've vented, I'm ready for part four. Jon

Never too old to go to school Dusty, I'm sucking up all this great information. Hopefully, if I go over it enough, some of it just might stick. No radar on 2nd Byte yet, but there's one down the road..........or on the next CD.

Mark

Dusty --
El and I are snuggled in the back corner booth of the pub, sipping a few cool ones, and enjoying every word from the teacher. Your writing is clear, interesting, and informative -- good work!! You are doing us all a marvelous service and we can't wait for each class session -- and there are few teachers we've had in our lives about whom we could say that! And, you wondered if, after you finish the 'avoid collision' sessions, there would be interest in radar as a navigation tool? We have the back booth reserved, two more stouts on order, and looking forward to those sessions as much as the collision avoidance. Sure appreciate you time, knowledge, and willingness to share -- thanks. El and Bill on Halcyon

Well put El and Bill, I', at the next table with similar interest. I haven't even been tardy once. Never thought I'd be asking for more homework, who would have thunk?

Mark, your comments are appreciated. Gee, if I can get the attention of somebody that old, I'm doing something right.

El and Bill,

I read your material so often that I have a link to your page on my desktop -- and love your writing. I'm an old sailor, not a teacher or writer, so your comments mean more to me than you could possibly imagine. Thanks you. When Mike and I talked about this radar project, I explained to him that I was nervous just thinking about getting up in front of you professionals. Still am, but my knees don't knock so hard now.

I've trudged up and down the beaten path from here to Glacier Bay, Juneau, and that area many, many times. So much beauty and intrigue -- so little time. You will love it, guaranteed. Bring radar! I've made the 1000 NM trip in bright sunshine all the way, and also when the bowrail vanished in fog for days at a time. You will get as many suggestions and opinions as there are folks who have made the trip -- my primarly recommendation would be to do it in sections. An entire summer could be spent in the Bella Coola area alone, and there are at least a dozen more areas equally inviting.

Thanks again,

Dusty

Another "so there we were" story...

So there we were, northbound in the Grenville Channel just north of Hartley Bay and south of Prince Rupert, BC. Gail and I were both on watch under the canvas enclosure of the sailboat, squinting to see through the drizzle ahead, using a towel for a windshield wiper. I said way back then.."my next boat is going to have a hard top with glass windows and a windshield wiper". The radar, ( a Furuno 1621), showed heavy black lines to each side as we were in a fairly deep and narrow natural "canal". Nice and clear ahead but..... "What the hell's that?" as a solid target approached rapidly, very rapidly, from astern. I unzipped the wet drippy side curtain just in time to see a float-plane fly over us at about 200 ft! What an adrelaline rush! We had a good laugh then settled back down with some hot chocolate to continue the strained search ahead for drift.

A big pat on the back to Dusty, must have got the name from chalk dust! :-)

Roy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: