The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Classic vs. later moderate deadrise hull

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azul

City/Region: Sitka
State or Province: AK
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Classic vs. later moderate deadrise hull Reply with quote

I occasionally see C-Dory classics advertised at attractive prices. In theory, the later boats with the moderate deadrise in the forward sections should pound less in a chop than its flat-bottomed predecessor. But, is the difference in performance truly significant?
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not significant to me -- have both and use either/or. There IS a difference, but slow down a bit and all's well. The Classic will plane at a slower speed and will pound a little more, but when push comes to shove, either boat will take a whole bunch more than this driver. Absolutely love the old Classic -- and I've owned 6 different C-Dory 22's. Our old Classic is an ideal fishing platform -- it's extremely stable and will carry a load of fish that will swamp most other boats. Our Classic 22 spent most of it's life 50-75 miles off the Oregon coast chasing Tuna.

Dusty

Azul

City/Region: Sitka
State or Province: AK
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the come back! Reply with quote

Sawdust, that's the sort of real world comparison I was looking for. Thanks!
C-Otter

City/Region: Superior
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: C-Otter
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The classic is the "57" chevie of boats, loved for it's look and solid as a rock. Very Happy C-Otter
Below Frigid

City/Region: Monterey
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1992
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: MPG Reply with quote

How about fuel economy? Does the newer hull get better mpg than the classic when powered the same?
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I just came back from the Erie Canal and have always felt that the MPG of my 1983 Classic is about the same as the post 1986 22' C-Dory's. The Classic (pre 1986) were all Anglers and had a larger cockpit and a smaller cabin. The access to the forward bunk area is much better. After observing Red Fox, I started to sleep across the bunks, stuffing my bags of Stuff under the forward deck. I found it easier to get in and out of the bunk and more comfortable to sleep. As for two persons, I have not tried it out yet.

The PortiPotti Head is much more comfortable to use on the Classic, and can be used standing up while the boat is underway.(Slow speed only). Very important when one is operating the boat single handed.

Check both boat layouts before buying.

Fred

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: