The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Shore Power install

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jstates

City/Region: SHELTON
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Endurance
Photos: Endurance
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Shore Power install Reply with quote

Prior CDory had 6 amp Guest charger under sink to two batteries in starboard Lazerette.

This CDory has battery on each side.

Do I run the charger thru the battery switch?
Or Do I need to purchase charger with two DC outputs one for each battery [not sure the DC cables attaches to charger will reach from one lazerette to the other

How much concern is there is running shore power on the Starboard side near the Several Ray Marine units: auto pilot, rudder position etc. - Since I won't be using shore power when underway and using Ray marine navigation package.?

Has anyone found a good 110 volt 30 amp circuit breaker with one main and three other sub breakers for charger, 110 V AC outlet and ?. The ones I have seen in Fisheries Supply and West Marine have a lot more sub breakers than I need?

Thanks

Jim
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2007 came factory equipted with a Guest 2621A charger. It has three outputs one 10 amp and two 5 amps. I to have a starting battery in the starboard Lazarrette and two house batteries in the port lazarrette. Initially mine were wired thru the On/1/both/2 selector switch which I didn't like so I now have the charing circuits run directly to the batteries. Guest also has a model 2633A that is a 20/10 amp charger and if I were installing a new charger I'd take a look at this one. I ran #10 wires from the charger to the batteries.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, if your new boat has a big single, you might want to consider one of these voltage sensing relay switches to isolate starting and house batteries and make sure they are both fully charged. Really a worthwhile addition if you have a singe and two battery banks...

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to put the inlet aft, where it is less susceptable to spray. You can use the #10/12 wire to the batteries from the charger. It is best to use either the VSR as Pat suggests or a two bank charger--and put the leads on the charger directly to the battery (fuses on both ends) Yes, the charger should run through the main pannel.

PanelTronics (Defender carries these) has main breaker and 3 sub breaker--and a bit cheaper than Blue Ses--you might take a look at these.
Be sure and use marine grade wiring and sockets. This means stranded and tined wire--not household Romex type of solid wiring.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jstates

City/Region: SHELTON
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Endurance
Photos: Endurance
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Thanks - for the VSR and dual bank battery charging ideas Reply with quote

So I ordered the Guest 2611A Battery charger: 10 amps 5 amps for each of two banks - so I could have the intelligent charging directly for each battery - since both batteries are connected via the switch is it ok to leave the switch on both and still charge each battery, or do I have to separate them via the switch to get the most custom charge even though they are matched batteries?

What battery do I use to start the kicker? on the main start or the house?

When you said put fuses at both ends - could you please clarify?

Can I really run all this 110 past the several Raymarine boxes that are under the sink, and helm seat [Sea talk, autopilot ??} or do I need to put it on the port side which would be a major inconvenience.

I have read Sailboat electronics simplified recently but have a long way to go with this electronics stuff. Thanks
Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: