View previous topic :: View next topic  
debbieh

City/Region: 100 mile house
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: bill
Photos: Bill
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: 22 Angler Drainage Problem Reply with quote

First trip out with our 1991 22 Angler water built up on deck to almost height of door to cabin. Have manual bilge pump in stern. I was wondering if I had water logged floatation or is it a common occurence. Is it poor design ? Have others run into this same problem. Would really like to hear.

Thanks Jim
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim, we'll need some more info I bet. You just got the boat and first trip out? Drain plug in correctly and snug I assume is first idea watertite, sometimes left out. Bilge pump outlet in factory spot well above waterline? Was the boat unloved prior to you getting it with water intrusion anywhere, deck leaks etc? Raw water washdown thru hull, pump failure frozen during winter? Fresh water tank lines tight and no cracks pump ok? If the boat had a history of not being winterized damaged pumps hoses etc occur. Trim tabs and motor sealants thru transom all good, dry inside? Any issues with water in lockers prior to launch and it drained aft? George
debbieh

City/Region: 100 mile house
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: bill
Photos: Bill
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its rain water we are dealing with. Lots of weight at stern eg. heavy ice box 15 hp kicker 2 full fuel jerry cans. Boat sits nose down rain water collects at cabin door bulkhead. Boat is like new condition. Always out of water and undercover. Winterised always. Have to squeegy water to bilge pump cavity. Thanks for ansewering.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

debbieh wrote:
Its rain water we are dealing with. Lots of weight at stern eg. heavy ice box 15 hp kicker 2 full fuel jerry cans. Boat sits nose down rain water collects at cabin door bulkhead.

This is the classic rain water pattern with the C-Dory 22 Cruisers built from 1987 until the flat raised floor modification was adopted.

SNAFU!

Situation Normal, All Filled Up!

That's why they tried to add the secondary forward bilge pumps either just forward of the doorway or to the side and under the galley.

Nonetheless, many those of us with these boats love the lower center of gravity afforded by the on-the-outer hull floor, and wouldn't trade it for the raised floor model. You feel safer and more stable down lower in the hull, it's as simple as that.

Dealing with rain water in a moored or docked and uncovered boat can be a problem, however. A cockpit enclosure or a cockpit cover can be a help in dealing with this issue, of course, as can be moving to a covered dock or storage area. Another option is to add the forward type of bilge pump, but then you have to be able to recharge the battery with a solar charger or some other means.

So what's a little rain, anyway? Just decide how to get rid of it, and enjoy your C-Dory!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: