The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Prop for CD25, 130hp

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Prop for CD25, 130hp Reply with quote

The 1996 CD25 I just bought has a 13" pitch prop on the Honda 130. It surprised me to see so small a pitch on there, and I was wondering what others with a similar boat/motor combo were using.

I have not ran the boat up to speed yet, because it needs fresh oil after sitting for who knows how long (it was started and warmed up regularly, but I don't know how long the oil has been in it). The motor has only 50 hours on it, so we'll wait until it is serviced and checked over before working it. But until I get a trailer, she sits in the slip.

I also discovered a Honda branded stainless steel prop in one of the storage hatches. It is not marked for size. Can a prop shop tell me the pitch by looking at it or measuring?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

A prop shop can definitely tell you the pitch of your prop and even press it to a new pitch if you desire. Is this 130hp a four stroke?

Have another set of eyes look at the spare propeller, there's gotta be a size on it somewhere just so the factory and warehouse guys know what to put in what box.

If you're not sure which propeller to use look at the ProPulse line, you can adjust them in 1" pitch increments.

-- Chuck

Chuck -

Another set of eyes might be the best bet! Maybe I ought to go review the "Glasses" thread. I thought I was looking out of the bottom part of my glasses, but you never know. There has to be a Honda number on it somewhere even if the size isn't stamped. I'll keep after it. Dusty says that Les can give me the scoop if I find the part number.

I am getting a bit ahead of myself worrying about props. I haven't even taken the boat above 1200 rpm yet. I was kind of glad to find it on the boat. But man, is it heavy. Soon, very soon.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Les sez the data should be on the inside hub (the greasy side, facing the lower unit).

HTH

Dusty (at least 50 today)

Thanks, Dusty (and Les) -

Yep, I found it right there by looking through the bottom part of my glasses. The SS prop is 13 1/4" x 13. The aluminum prop on the shaft is 13 2/4 x 13. I am anxious to give it a try and see what the WOT is, but it has be freshened up first. Shouldn't be long. Things are still falling into place.

Michael -

Do you know off hand what pitch prop you are running on Clara Mae's Honda 130? Have you tried other pitches?

Thanks,

Mike

Larry -

How about on the Helen O? What size prop is she turning? I meant to have a look at it before you left Warrenton last week, but plum fogot.

I still haven't ran the 130 up to speed (haven't even left the slip with it). I have to get the oil changed and the fuel filter system replaced first. Trailer should be here by the end of this month.

Thanks in advance for the prop info,

Mike

Gee Mike, I don't know what size prop I'm running. I just went out to look and can find any markings on it. Where is it supposed to say? You couldn't have asked me something easy, like how many blades are on my prop... or which end of the motor does the prop go on... heck no, gotta ask me something technical. The truth is that Ryan at Sportcraft put the prop on and we took it for a test drive. He said "Yep, that's the right prop, see there is no rooster tail behind the boat, and she'll twist 5600 rpm. Just right!" I figured it was good enough for me.

Where are ya sposed to look fer that number?

Okay, I just reread this thread and seen where Dusty and Les tells us where to find the prop numbers. I'll pull the prop off tomorrow and see what it is, it's to darned dark out there now to do it.

Larry S

Larry -

Naw, you don't need to bother with jerking the prop. I haven't even tried mine yet, so it's not like I have any comparing to do. Thanks very much just the same, but I think you've put your boat and associated equipment through enough for me lately.

Oh, and look at the time of this post. I just got home from a call-in to work. Gotta pay for that boat somehow.

Mike

Mike

Actually, I'm glad you asked about the size of my prop. That is info I need to know so I can buy a spare. My prop is a Michigan 15 pitch. Ryan from Sportcraft said he prefers the Michigan because the Honda props seem to cause some kind of howling above idle. He commented that most people don't notice it, but he does.

Larry S

Thanks, Larry. I got one of them Michigan 15 inchers in a box. It's the one I was running on my 75, but I replaced it with a Solas. I also have a 17" pitch spare.

Ryan is right about the Solas whine. It only does it through an rpm range of about 500, but when I was using the 17", it was right in the middle of the whiny range when coming up the channel to the basin. Had to go too fast, too slow, or listen to it. The 15" Solas has a narrower rpm range for the whine, and it is at a little lower speed, so no problem.

The 13" that is on the 130 was probably picked for a reason. I doubt the guy would have sprung for a stainless job of the same pitch if it wasn't the best size. We'll see.

Thanks for checking,

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Propellers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: