The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

16 Cruiser trim tabs installed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seabeagle

City/Region: Farmington Hills
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Beagle II - Sold 4-19-12
Photos: Sea Beagle II
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: 16 Cruiser trim tabs installed. Reply with quote

I put my trim tabs on last week. Works great! Bennet M-80 kit with electronic indicator and auto tab retractors.Got a good deal on them and were easy to install. Seriously, it beats moving the cooler around and shifting in my seat. Money well worth spending. Better than that stinking Permatrim. Click the link for my album pics.
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1035&id=1_G&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

http://www.youtube.com/SeaBeagleII
ramos

City/Region: WASCO
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious to see what you think of them after some use. Please keep us informed. I posted on this a while back. General consensus was that it was not worth the expense on a 16C. I'm still not convinced that the smaller boats don't need trim tabs even more than the mid-sized ones do. My boat is not packing as much gear as yours'. My challenge is the 50 lbs difference in adults and two young boys that like to move around. Moveable ballast is not always available or practical on the fly! By the way, what don't you like about the Permatrim? I love mine.
C-Squirt
seabeagle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had it on the water once so far and the trim tabs work great. I got an OK deal from my local West Marine $628 out the door with some price matching. And as for the permatrim, excessive cavitation is my biggest complaint. It sucks air down like a bathtub drain even in good conditions. For a quarter of the price I could have got a plastic one and had the same results. I've checked everything , prop hub, motor height, trim, different props, all the same. Do they make a longer shaft for the Honda 50? Another 6 inches down might help. Eventually, I'm going to make another attachment for the boat to fix it.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure they make 20 and 25" shaft lengths on those Hondas. Yours looks pretty short in the picture. That will make a BIG difference on how the permatrim affects things. It will NOT do the side to side correction but should keep the bow down or up, given that your engine angle (the pin in the mount) is set correctly. The trim tabs will correct the port/starboard trim.

On edit: Just looked at the picture again, kinda hard to tell from that angle but the permatrim should be at or below the bottom of the boat. Looks like it's well above that...It won't have much of an effect if it's not in the stream of water.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
ramos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late to go out and measure, but I'am confidant to say the top of my Permatrim plate is about 2-3" below the bottom of the hull. I have not had any problems as far as sucking air under it unless I really over trim for running the shallow water.
seabeagle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've measured the plate before. If level with the hull, it is about 1" lower.
seabeagle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update. I just got back from a full week of cruising it the Traverse Bay area and was shocked as to how well the trim tabs worked. We rode in a variety of conditions and with the exception of one day with a 4 foot chop, they worked great. I found that by working the trim tabs in conjunction with the Permatrim on the motor, I was able to regain high speed cruising into the wind and light chop. I was able to regain the top speed that I had lost from all of my weight add-ons. Only one bad thing. I have to be careful slowing down or running at a slow speed with the tabs down. One tab can catch more water than the other and turn the boat violently. They are best suited for high speed cruising and side-to-side leveling. No more moving the cooler or twisting in my seat. Definately worth every penny.

ramos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear. I'm very tempted to make the red light green. Glad you had fun and returned safely.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 16 Cruiser trim tabs installed. Reply with quote

seabeagle wrote:

Better than that stinking Permatrim. Click the link for my album pics.
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1035&id=1_G&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

I am still curious about what the Permatrim did that you did not care for... I've so far had nothing but good luck with mine.

Steve

seabeagle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 16 Cruiser trim tabs installed. Reply with quote

The reason I bought a Permatrim was the cavitation problem. The motor alone worked fine for controlling bow rise. Even now with the trim tabs and Permatrim and on smooth as glass water it will at random cavitate and suck down a cloumn of air like a draining bathtub. Hovever, I now think the combination of both are crucial for the needs of my boat. I just think that for what it is, a $25.00 plastic fin would have given me the same results as the $110.00 Permatrim. I put plastic fins on my last 2 boats and loved them but, the were different boats altogether. If someone has some specs on short and long shaft motors and where to measure from, I'd like to check that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: