View previous topic :: View next topic  
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Manson vs Bruce Reply with quote

OK, I’ve been bashful in the past about posting my opinion, but now I have FACT.

Last summer we took Journey On over to the Channel Isles and tried to anchor in Frys Harbour. Now, Frys Harbour has a seaweed bottom, in which we had anchored many times with a Danforth anchor. Now we had Journey On which was equipped with a Bruce anchor. The Bruce would not set through the seaweed, we kept dragging and by unanimous request went down to Pelican, were we spent the night. This surprised the heck out of me since the Bruce had set in Desolation Sound, the Great Lakes, etc, etc. So we finally got home and this winter I bought two new anchors: a Manson Supreme ($180) and a West Marine knock off Danforth. The West marine Danforth was to replace the Fortress, which we used as a stern anchor and was too light to set in seaweed. Seaweed is tough to anchor.

On our trip up to the west coast of Vancouver I., I used the Manson, since it represented the new great breed of anchoring technology. But not being completely out of my mind, I threw the Bruce into the back of the truck, since it had provided secure anchoring for the last 3 years.

Our first anchorage was Barkley Sound, in Useless Inlet. Way in the back it was calm as a pond in 20’. We let the anchor down using all 70’ of chain and backed her down using a small amout to throttle. The boat reached the end of the chain and never stopped. We tried a couple of times and finally the bow dipped and we called it a day. No wind, only current out of Fatty Cove, and I’m not making those names up. We never needed to depend on the anchor, because the chain always stayed straight up and down. In several more anchorages, we had about the same result. Finally we found an anchorage where we got a reasonable set, but the anchor growled all night, so I guess it was a rocky bottom. Note that the Manson has a slot or a hole for the rode shackle. My first attempt was in the slot, as it seemed to offer the chance to pull the anchor out if it got stuck or tangled. On succeeding trys I changed it to the hole.

Got back to the truck (160 mile RT by car,) fished out the Bruce, threw the Manson in the back, took the Bruce back to the boat, and we’ve had decent sets since. In truth, the anchorages have been so protected that the anchor wasn’t really tested, but when the boat was backed down, the bow dipped at the end of the line.

Journey On has 200’ of ½’ rope and 70’ of ¼” HST chain, AND a windlass. The windlass was essential in our cruising, since pulling up the anchor to try another set was no harder the pressing a switch and Judy made us try a number of times.

Now, I’m not arguing for one type of anchor or another, but it’s clear all anchors are compromises. The Bruce was designed for the North Sea, to dig into a soft bottom or so I’ve heard, and the Manson was designed to dig in fast and smooth. Apparently in soft bottom its streamlined shape pulls straight through. Again, you suit the anchor to the bottom and not all are universally good. Remember even the famous CQR will plough through sand in a strong wind, as I’ve proved. Anyway, I’ve now got my choice of two anchors depending if I’m anchoring in SoCal or the Pacific Northwest.

I guess the main point is that if you have an anchor that works, keep it.

I also spun the propeller 2 hrs after launch. Now on the spare plastic propeller.

Boris
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWW, the Manson and Rocna are getting good reviews on the Trawler list. Here is a typical post:

Quote:
Our boat came with a 45 lb CQR. We anchored in a well protected spot several times and dragged in 30k winds. We bought a Manson Supreme and went back to the same spot, put out the same scope and held tight in 30K+ winds. All techniques were the same. Lower the anchor till it hits bottom and slowly back down while paying out chain. Let out about 7:1 scope and let sit for 15 minutes, then throttle up hard to set. The Supreme has yet to drag, even in notoriously bad spots.
Anybody want to buy a 45 lb CQR?

So apparently there is a technique to using the Manson effectively. I like mine!

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
helm

City/Region: Medford
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We loved our Manson Supreme as we traveled through the Georgia Bay and North Channel. We anchored out in Lake Michigan just for lunch or for a swim a few times this summer but not much of a test of the anchor other than it set right off in a sand bottom. We carry a fortress as a back up so I think we would be covered in most anchoring situations. The C-Dory 25 is pretty low windage and a relatively light weight boat. We spent a night on a DuFour Atoll 43 anchored off Cayo Largo, Cuba in 60 knot winds one night - that was ugly and I would like to have had two Mansons - big ones .

Hmm I'm thinking that what Boris really needs is the stainless steel Manson polished up and pretty on the anchor roller.
Eric
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a lot experience anchoring, but would like to know what would be the purpose of letting your anchor sit for 15 min before setting? (Reference the quote two posts above)
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAVU wrote:
I don't have a lot experience anchoring, but would like to know what would be the purpose of letting your anchor sit for 15 min before setting? (Reference the quote two posts above)

Ken, near as I can tell, the Manson needs that time to work its way into the bottom under light load. Once that happens, when you set it, it digs in deeper. If you don't give it settling time, it scrapes the bottom.

I have not found this technique to be necessary all the time, but when I have problems, that is what I do.

Warren
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still plan to use the Manson, and I reserve love for Judy and the kids, their spouses, grandkids, etc. My, how the list has grown since I found sex.

Anyway, just pointing out that each anchor has limitations: the CQR plows in sand, the Bruce has problems in seaweed, and apparently the Manson doesn't set quickly. Each has it's use and understanding that lets us be better cruisers.

Boris
helm

City/Region: Medford
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris what where the conditions that you were trying to get the Manson to set in. In clay on the North Channel and sand in Lake Michigan we had no problems hooking up right off.
Eric
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris, thanks for posting your experiences with both types of anchors, I'm always 'all ears' when anchors and anchoring are mentioned because I do a lot of it also.

I have a 22lb Delta that also served me on my 31 ft trimaran (previous boat). Combined, I've used this anchor for 13 yrs all over the Channel Islands, Key Biscayne, FL, and the Bahamas. I've anchored several times when the windspeed has hit 50+ mph, 3-5ft chop in my CD-25. It is similar to the Manson Supreme in that they're both plow type anchors, but the Delta has that chunk of lead to help get it started to set.

I've never had a problem here in SoCal on any of the bottoms, even in and among lots of seaweed. I've seen at least two incidents where a Bruce has dragged in light winds here at Santa Cruz Island, both times (different boats) they brought up an entire seaweed plant, root ball and all. I did have one problem anchoring mine, that was in Key Biscayne with about 5 knots of wind (essentially none). I was trying to wait my turn at the marina, it was a crowded Sunday afternoon. I put down my trusty Delta, chain and some nylon rode (trimaran) in 8ft of water and backed down, would not set, but with the chain and anchor down it slowed the drift to under 1 knot which was manageable while keeping a close watch (not overnight of course). I found later that this bay has very little water movement, and that the bottom went progressively from silt, to heavy silt, to light mud to heavier mud, etc. Just nothing to grab on to. Maybe the Bruce would have done better, or even a mushroom anchor!

Yep, anchors need to be matched to bottoms, no doubt about it.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: