The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

battery weight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seabeagle

City/Region: Farmington Hills
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Beagle II - Sold 4-19-12
Photos: Sea Beagle II
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: battery weight Reply with quote

Quick question. Are dry cell batteries like the Optima brand lighter than an equally rated lead acid battery?

http://www.youtube.com/SeaBeagleII
Stephen Williams

City/Region: New Smyrna Beach
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an exact answer to your question, although I do have one of each and they seem about the same.

But, I do want to tell you to go ahead and move the batteries from the stern to under the seats. I did that a couple of days ago, and BOY, what a difference. I also lengthened the fuel line so that my 6 Gal tank can go underneath the forward berth. I had moved the tank previously just to test the weigh effect, and it didn't seem to do much, so I now can give credit for much better balance to the movement of the batteries. I also have a 6 HP Mercury hanging off the stern on a separate bracket which adds weight to the stern, but I would never want to give up the security of that extra engine!! Steve
Desolation Cruiser

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Optima batteries are actually a gel cell battery not a dry cell.
They are still a lead acid battery. The acid is in a gel form vs. liquid.
Similar CCA batteries will weigh approximatly the same gel or liquid acid.
CoolSmile
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Optima Batteries are actually an AGM Battery (Absorbed Glass Mat). The weight is similar but the charging voltage can be up to 15v. The Blue Top 35 series is a great start battery.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
mcc272

City/Region: Long Island Sound
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Star
Photos: C-Star
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to figure things out is to go to the web site for the battery manufacturer and do a careful comparison of the specs. www.optimabatteries.com. Lifeline is another brand of AGM battery. I have used Lifelines for years on several boats as well as Optimas which I use as my starting battery. If you are using the batteries as the house bank, you are more concerned with the capacity of the battery than the CCA which is more of a starting question. For capacity, there is no free lunch, weight wise and the heavier the battery, the greater the capacity. For comparison, an Optima Blue Top D31M weighs in at 59.8 lbs and has a capacity of 75AH (C/20 rate). The Lifeline GPL-31T which is the same case size (that is the 31 number) has a capacity of 105AH measured the same way and weighs in at 69.0 lbs. Assuming a maximum 50% draw down (although I prefer to draw down less) the lifeline has an extra 15AH of useable capacity which is not insignificant. Since both Optima and Lifeline are AGMs, they can be charged together as the charging requirements are very similar.

AGMs cost a lot more than wet cell lead acid batteries but they never have to be checked, take a charge at a faster rate and since there is nothing to spill even if the case were to break, they do not need to be installed in a battery box. They can even be installed on their sides.

The real question you have to ask yourself with AGMs is whether the benefits are worth the significant additional cost.

Jim

North Star, 2011 Rosborough RF-246
FtBiggy

City/Region: Fort Myers
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would add that Odyssey Battery's are used by the Coast Guard, according to the web site, www.odysseysoutheast.com
Good details, weight, CCA's etc. on site. Certainly an area where you need to always get the BEST available.

toyman

City/Region: Lake Livingston
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Fan-C-Dory
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 Optima grp 31 in my van and have been very happy with them. I have a Prosine 2.0 inverter that will charge them at 100A when they are down, contrary to sage advise from the net, Optima says "no problem" with the high amp charge rate as long as the temp. is monitored. I will have AGM's in the FanCdory when the factory batteries go "Toes up", just a lot cleaner and easier to maintain.
In East Texas
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery power is directly related to the weight of the battery. The amount of lead (or other metal). Lightweight batteries are lightweight performers. The only benefit Optimas have is their very sturdy construction. Great for offshore powerboat or off road racing. Not much power for running your anchor light and VHF all night.

Since the engines on our boats take little starting amperage you can use deep cycles for both starting and house batteries. Buy these by Reserve Capacity, not cold cranking amps. You'll find the Optimas are low in RC.

-- Chuck
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definately go with the AGM's for the 16, mounted under the passenger seat they are hard to access for checking fluid level. I particuarly like the Sears AGM's they are expensive and some argue they are twice as much as lead acid but it you figure the cost difference over a three year span they really aren't that much and Sears offers a full (not prorated) replacement for three years.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck S wrote:
Battery power is directly related to the weight of the battery. The amount of lead (or other metal). Lightweight batteries are lightweight performers. The only benefit Optimas have is their very sturdy construction. Great for offshore powerboat or off road racing. Not much power for running your anchor light and VHF all night.

Since the engines on our boats take little starting amperage you can use deep cycles for both starting and house batteries. Buy these by Reserve Capacity, not cold cranking amps. You'll find the Optimas are low in RC.

-- Chuck

Chuck-

Precisely!

With a very weight sensitive boat, like a CD-16, one may want to reduce battery weight, but keep the biggest set-up you can afford, weight-wise, and move it around as much as possible to keep things balanced!

Nice to hear from you again!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up (With Four Group 27 Deep-Cycles aboard!)

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: