The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Solar charger and motor fins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjmcnabb

City/Region: Pender Island (Southern Gulf Islands)
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Luna
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Solar charger and motor fins Reply with quote

Hi Brats,
Finally back to BC and getting ready for the water. An electrical question: with a small solar panel plugged into the cigar lighter, does my main battery switch need to be on to get charging? The CO detector beeps every minute or so, with the main switch off. Is that because it is wired directly to the battery w/o any switches? If so, will that CO detector connection allow charging to occur?
On a different topic, I just installed an SE Supersport 300 fin on the anticav plate of my FEI Honda 90, using their no-drill clip kit. Instructions were inadequate for sure. One feature of the clip kit is a steel band that anchors the kit behind the trim fin on the anticav plate. They tell you that if it doesn't fit close, file some of the fin/anode off to allow room! On this motor, that fin is not an anode and it has a comb that allows secure adjustment for steering trim port-starboard. Wouldn't you know: that comb is in the exact spot that needed to be filed down. Well I didn't file it so I could not use the strap. I hope the 300 fin doesn't jump off some day. Doing this installation, I noticed that the trim tabs at the bottom of the transom have no zincs. Should they be equpped with zincs, even though they have (epoxy barrier coat, I guess, and) antifouling paint?
A good summer to all. Rod

Rod & Jane; Victoria 18 sloop (Vickie) - gone; Islander 26 Bahama sloop (Callisto) - gone; WW Potter 19 sloop (Spring) - gone; Com-Pac 16 sloop (Bummer II) - gone; Nimble 24 yawl (Chatelaine) - gone; Nimble Vagabond cruiser (Loligo) - gone; C-Dory 22 Cruiser (NoddyBleu) - gone; Com-Pac 19 sloop ('Winkle) - gone; San Juan 24 sloop (Loligo^2) - gone; C-Dory 16 cruiser (Luna); Catalina Capri 18 sloop (Later)
cemiii

City/Region: Alamo
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: The Last One........ III
Photos: The Last One, III
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to the solar charger, it all depends on your wiring. If the plug is hot with all your switches turned off, then the charger will at very least provide juice to the battery it is hooked up to as well as any parallel batteries attached to it. It should also flow to any other switched battery which has a charging combiner bridging the switch.

This is absolutely true (unless I am wrong).

Chris

marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CO2 detector has a low voltage alarm and thats probably what you are hearing. I'd check the voltage of your batteries with a volt meter you may have a problem if the voltage has fallen to low the batteries may not recharge.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are AA or 9 volt batteries in the CO detectors, pull them when you are not on the boat (and put an nice red sticker by the switch to reconnect them.

Generally the cigar lighter will not be hot unless the battery switch is on--and in some cases an "accessory" switch. Not all boats are wired the same. I use battery terminal post clips, rather than the cig lighter plug. Also be sure that all radio memories are off when leaving the boat for any time. Electronics memory can drain the batteries in some units.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
toyman

City/Region: Lake Livingston
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Fan-C-Dory
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not knowing anything about YOUR solar panel I maybe shouldn't open my mouth but - I wouldn't expect much charge from one of the "battery charger" panels commonly sold that plug into the lighter. I have 2 (in parallel) of the panels VW uses to keep the battery up in their new cars, don't remember the output but they're ~ 10x12". I S. Texas they just barely maintain a group 27 battery in my shop. Up in your area you would also have lower sun angles.
In East Texas
rjmcnabb

City/Region: Pender Island (Southern Gulf Islands)
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Luna
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brats,
Thanks to all for your advice. The battery was fully charged, but cut off. I bet the noise from the CO detector was low voltage, and that my solar charger was running a low voltage. It might be the cigar lighter approach, because I have used the same one with direct clips to the battery with no chirps from the CO detector. This time I didn't use the battery clips because I had the lazarettes lashed down under transport tie-down straps. Any advice about zincs installed on ttrim tabs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: