City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Hang on Reply with quote

Smuttynose wrote:
.... I have a 22 and have taken on some heavy seas, and have a simple, and possibly really stupid question, has one ever 'rolled over' in a breaking crest of a wave?

David
Smuttynose Island, ME

Only while learning to surf, thankfully not in a boat Smile The rollover in a boat would of course be catastrophic unless we're talking about vessels designed to recover from this condition (i.e. some USCG heavy weather vessels). Perhaps some sailboats could recover with the heavy keel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF_6gPlbf54&NR=1

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smuttynose wrote:
I have a 22 and have taken on some heavy seas, and have a simple, and possibly really stupid question, has one ever 'rolled over' in a breaking crest of a wave?
David
Smuttynose Island, ME

If my memory serves me correctly, one 22' C-Dory Cruiser rolled over in the Oregon ( I think it was Oregon) surf, several years back. The vessel had some kind of engine failure and ended up going in to shore on the incoming waves of the beach. (The human occupants survived however, I believe they lost a pet in the incident.) The vessel was "decapitated" and later purchased off e-bay and was beautifully rebuilt by one of our fellow C-Brats. The vessel is now in service and you'd never know that it experienced such a history.

One of our other C-Brats has posted photos in his album of his vessel on the incoming waves on a beach after the anchor welding failed. His 22' Cruiser did not roll and I believe it only snapped an antenna.

Hopefully, others can clarify for us the "particulars" of these two incidences.

C-Brat #16
Yellowstone

City/Region: White Sulphur Springs
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Farwest II
Photos: Farwest III
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David - I've never heard of a C-Dory being capsized by a breaking wave, (not a surf wave) but a number of years ago a 22" C-Dory up in Alaskan waters got caught on the lee shore with a dead engine and was rolled around, How much wave action will a 22" handle? I don't know, and frankly, I don't want to find out.

Nine years ago we were caught in a gale between Galiano and Salt Springs Islands (in the Trincomali channel trying to get to Ganges). It was a very confused sea. We had ducked behind a big trawler letting her break up the waves, assuming she was heading to Ganges. I should have radioed the captain to ascertain his intentions. As we neared the area where we would be turning to the starboard, the trawler kept going straight and left us to break our own passage. We were really just jogging and maintaining direction and were slapped around quite a bit, with green water coming over the bow frequently. I estimate the highest waves were around 8 feet, high enough to get our attention. We inched along and eventually made port safely. But it was no fun

My first real experience with big waves was 55 years ago on a troopship heading for Korea. I thought a ship almost 800 feet long would handle waves without much fuss. My was I wrong. We got caught in a nasty blow midway across the Pacific, and the captain had to change course and slow down to six knots to keep things under control. My sense was that we were in 40 to 50 foot waves, but they were quite a distance in terms of intervals. A number of times the stern raised enough to expose the propellers, and then the boat would shake and shudder. We ate standing up for a number of days.

For those who like to read about really heavy weather, find a copy of the Heavy Weather Guide, second edition by Rear Admiral William J. Kotsch and Richard Henderson, Naval Institute Press, Annapolis, Maryland, Even big war ships come to grief from waves. My master chief (retired) brother like to say that the sea is a cruel master at times.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: