The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Garmin 3010C

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Garmin 3010C Reply with quote

For the new 25 we have on order I am looking at going with a larger display than the 188C gave me. The 3010C is the largest at about 10 in diagonal display. It is also plug and play if in the future I want to add the new Garmin radar which should be coming out in the next month or so. I can find the 3010C at Daves Marine for $2150 and then you need to add the GSD 20 Sounder for about $215 and also a transducer for about $105.

The 3006C is about
$1719 and also plug and play with a smaller display than the 3010 but larger than the 188.

Any input out there on these units?

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, don't have that big display but do have the 182C and the GSD 20 sounder. The sounder with the display is really neat, the split screen capabilities are endless. The GSD will work with many transducers, you don't necessarily need the more expensive ones. The clear antifouling for the transducer is a must have, had some barnacle problems before I used it, we're in salt water here and I leave the boat in the water.

Wish I had the big screen but with a radar screen mounted on the overhead shelf, the big screen might obstruct the view too much. Of course, if you have all those goodies telling where you are, what's around you, etc, maybe you don't need a window....(NOT... Smile )

You guys really made a splash with the new 25's, wish I could have been there, maybe next year!! Wink

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the 2006C (same physical size as the 3006C) for my 22, and when I got the 25 I was really wishing I had the 2010C (same size as 3010C). The 2006 is plenty big enough, but the new 3000 series has so many more capabilities, you should go for the big feller right off the bat. That way there is room on the screen to keep the video camera window up all the time. Where you point the video camera is up to you.

By all means - get the 3010C. It's a few hundred bucks extra, but you'll never look back. Excellent choice.

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David: Great meeting you and I enjoyed the fruits of you and your employees labor. Give the brewMyster a day off... he earned it.!!
I think what I would do is go to walmart and get some construction paper, cut out pieces, tape those together into the size of "the box" of all your electronics that you want to have mounted.... Then take a "look-see" to make sure you CAN see past them for what is actually in the water REAL close to your boat. I have the Raymarine 7" screens (color does wonders) and two of them gets a bit cluttered when things get REAL busy... and you just need a good clear few out the front.. If at all possible, get on another CD25 (take your boxes with you) and see how they compare to what that owner has..... Just like a master landscaper told me once... do not put one piece in until you have your TOTAL set up in mind...and have the vision of the entire project. Sizes matters, but we can get carried away... Thanks again for your contributions! Byrdman
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nice thing (I think) about the 3006 or 3010C is that you don't need another display for the radar. You can do an overlay on one screen or just the radar or just the GPS. As I understand it anyway. So there would only be the one display. The display on the 3010 is 13 in W and 9 in H.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, you're probably right. With all the multi-function stuff being developed today, it should be that way. Of course, that also means, if that one display goes south Angry you've lost it all. Something to be said for separate stuff. It's all very reliable though, not sure what the failure rate is but it's gotta be very low... Smile

I'm basically a gadget person, as a ham/EE type. Have HF/VHF/UHF in the truck, along with a moving map GPS and a couple of telephones. Don't know why my bride Love gets excited when I'm talking on a couple of radios, looking at the map (which talks to me periodically) and the phone rings. Disgust ...Multi tasking is the name of the game.... I send out a NOTAD (like a NOTAM but is for drivers) when I hit the asphalt... Must be lucky, never had an accident or moving violation in 45+ years of driving...

Charlie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: