The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

VHF Radios, Antennas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene&Mary

City/Region: Seattle/Center Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Linnea
Photos: Linnea
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: VHF Radios, Antennas Reply with quote

Does anyone have any recommendations on a VHF radio brand- Icom, Uniden, West Marine or ???.

How about antenna size- 8' or 4'? In the real world does the extra gain with the 8' matter or does the shorter length and convenience override any extra gain with the 8' antenna?

Does anyone have any experience with the combination VHF/AM,FM antennas?
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene&Mary; You'll find that the radios are much alike as far as functionality goes as long as you get the bells and whistles you want.

I'd definitely go for a radio with Digital Selective Calling which usually includes the link with your GPS and the ability to transmit an emergency signal that includes your boat info and location to both the USCG and anyone with a similarly equipped radio, think it uses CH 70.

The 8' antenna has a lot more gain and as long as you put it on a "lay down" type mount which you'll probably want anyway to clear obstructions while trailering or going under low bridges, makes little mechanical difference. If you're on the fringes of coverage, it'll mean the difference between being heard and not heard.

Any combination antenna is a compromise. I'd look at the gain specifications for the VHF performance and if it's the same or close with the non-combo ones, go for it. Believe they probably come with dual feedlines which would preclude a splitter or a separate antenna for your FM receiver. Since you're not transmitting on FM, the matching characteristics on those frequencies are relatively unimiportant.

I've had all types of radios (brands) and it's much personal preference and price (look for a sale). Many of them have the innards made by the same folks (invariably offshore) so it makes little difference. Some have a loud hailer built in so you can scare the hexx Razz out of the dockmaster. One piece of caution, never use a loudhailer while the first mate is on the bow trying to launch or retrieve the anchor. Smile It makes for a testy cruise....

I've got a Uniden on Captain's Choice, a nice, compact little radio. They (almost) all run 25W on high power and have a low power (1W) position which is where you should run it unless you need the juice. There's lots of other little goodies like a mike that can change channels, radios that can scan all channels for action, or weather alert features, etc, etc. There's lots of good info on the net about usage, what the channels are for, etc. Print this one out and laminate it unless one comes with your radio.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/marine/vhfchanl.html

Good luck

Charlie
K4KBA

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A taller antenna may offer more range, but a shorter one can be better in rough seas (when you need it the most). If you have a big boat that is very stable in the water, get a high quality TALL antenna. The smaller and lighter the boat, the more it bounces around in rough seas, so you would want a high quality, but shorter, antenna. Then, in order to get better range (10 miles is usually too far for any recreational marine VHF), mount it as high as you can.

Basically, a tall antenna transmits in a kind of "disk" shape, while a shorter one transmits in a better "ball" shape, just not as far.

Here's a couple of links you might want to check out:

WestMarine

Shakespear Antennas

BoatingWorld

catfleet21

As far as radios go, this spring I will be upgrading to a DSC capable Uniden Polaris that I got for Christmas. The Polaris has all the features I wanted and it was on a pretty good clearance sale. So my old Standard Horizon will be relegated to backup status. I'll try to give an update when the water gets a little warmer.

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I've always used and stuck with Icom products only because I've had great luck with their ham VHF products as well. I also prefer "Digital" brand antennas over Shakespeare but that's mainly due to the anecdotal experiences of our local Albacore chasers who are solidly behind Digital.

As far as length, the typical 8 footer has 8db worth of gain and the 4 has about 4.5db. That just means that the effective radiated power of an 8 footer is about twice that of a 4 footer. AFAIC, the average person ain't gonna really see much difference while shooting the bull with fellow Brats but those folk who really venture well out to sea might want to consider the 8 footer.

I wonder what Rana Verde Chris or Halcyon El/Bill would say. Chris has a 4 footer, El/Bill an 8 footer. They cruised Alaska together and should have a good handle on real life VHF usage on C-Dorys.

DSC? Hardly anything comes without DSC anymore. Thing is, the Coasties don't really have a system in place yet for it to do any good, but the local tight jawed fishermen on a bite are taking to calling their buddies using DSC to let 'em know where the bite is without revealing it to the unwashed masses....

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Chris

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Rana Verde
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer ICOM...always been good stuff for hams, boats and airplanes. I think one of the most important features of the radio is audio output...the size and quality of the speaker. In the cabin under way...water noise...engine noise...you will appreciate a radio with good audio...and some of them are not good. Go listen to them before you choose. On the antenna...I had an 8 footer for a while on my current boat, but got tired of the length in the stowed position...always sticking out beyond the cabin...waiting to poke somebody in the eye...or poke a hole in my boat cover. The 4 footer stows much more nicely...lays right down along the handrail on the cabin top. And it's nearly the same height as the 8 footer mounted on the cabin side. Never noted any difference in performance. Anybody you really need to talk to will have a way tall antenna...and for any long distance you better get something that uses a satellite for an antenna. Like an EPIRB or Iridium. And speaking of Alaska...in that type of terrain...with a thousand feet of basalt on either side of you...you really need to hit the satellite to get out.
I would stay away from the combo antennas...really can't perform optimally in all those bands with one antenna.

dogon dory

State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Line of sight isn't going to vary much mounting the antenna anywhere on the boat, there's not much height available. A shorter 3dB antenna has a very wide power radiation pattern, a 6dB (or greater) has a very narrow band and will direct most of its power into the sea or sky with any angle of heel.

The C-Dory visor is an excellent mounting location. We're using a Raymarine 53 and the short whip.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/CDoryOwnersGroup/detailphotos.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=625[/img]

-- Chuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: