The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

water heater for C 22 cruiser
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveS wrote:
JamesTXSD wrote:
Ah, Bill, my friend. don't forget the "3 minute" showers at Ganges (they are apparently metric minutes, which equate to: just enough time to get lathered up before the water shuts off).
Jim

Ah, Jim, my friend. Carol and I found that the plus factor of the Ganges showers was that they were large enough for the two of us to shower together. Something that can't be done even in the "rain room" of a 25' C-Dory. However, two can shower in the cockpit of a 22' with a solar shower...... Wink

You know the old saying....."The couple that bathes together stays together".... Smile .

I'm all for conserving water and money, Dave (that was your premise, right?). We much prefer the marina showers that can be used by couples instead of men on one side and women on the other. I went into those Ganges showers with a couple loonies... and had to really hurry to get rinsed after putting in the second one. I heard the groan of the woman in the shower stall next to me when her time ran out sooner than she expected. Disgust Seeing what facilities the marinas offer is certainly part of the cruising experience. We've used some where I've had to do battle with the spiders, some that had obviously not been cleaned in a long while, and others (like the showers at Sausalito) that are like walking into a spa. Still, I wear my Crocs into all those public showers. See my post about showering at Oak Harbor from back in '07.

Given the option, I'll go for the marina shower when available. I may not be able to fit in our enclosed head with the Blonde, but the boat isn't that big... we have plenty of "closeness." Wink

Some of the sailors here may know who Lin and Larry Pardey are (world cruisers in a small sailboat without an engine). When asked why they used the space for a small "sitz tub" in their boat, Lin said, "Larry told me he thinks I'm sexy... and even more sexy when I'm clean." Mr. Green

Best wishes,
Jim

Edward Thieme

City/Region: Boulder
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: Rambler
Photos: Rambler
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Water heater Reply with quote

I have a C-25, but this will work on the 22, and changed the water heater since who needs 6 gals. I bought a GE point of use 2.5g tank heater, looks like a very small home unit.
The unit had a 1500w heating element which is to much for the small Honda generator and I couldn't find a 120v heating element less than 1000w.
I found a 2000w 240v heating element that was mechanically the right size to install in the small GE tank. Through the wonders of Ohms Law and P=EI that 2000w 240v heater becomes a 500w heater at 120v! Isn't science wonderful.
I set the temp setting to the max I could stand so I only turn on the hot water valve for the shower and don't waste water getting the temp right. It takes about 25min. running the generator to heat the water and I mounted a pilot light by the AC panel which turns off when the water is up to temp.

Ed on "Rambler" at Georgetown, SC now
RVP

City/Region: washington
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: curly
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed tankless on demand gas heaters never installed electric heaters onput is 4 gallons per min.max. temp 120 degrees they do require mainteance. backflush yearly,device for backflush not included, device for two units is also extra,you must balance the 2 units. cost for all of this approx. $2,200. I have been in the plumbing buss. for 25 years.
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been using a propane, demand hot water heater for the past couple years in our horse trailer. It is really nice to be able to take a shower after a few days in the woods. I bought the unit at Camper World for about $100. In the horse trailer, we just scoop a bucket of water out of the creek for water supply. This unit has a pressure switch built into the heater, so the heater shuts off when you close the water valve on the shower head. Although I have not tried it yet in our CD-22', I plan to set it up in the cockpit. I rigged up a 12v Shurflo pump to the demand heater, which is fueled by a 20 lb. propane tank. In fresh water, just throw the suction hose over the stern for an endless water supply. If salt water, shower with salt water, then throw the strainer in a bucket of fresh water from the CD tank to rinse. I use an inexpensive lawn sprinkler with the small holes for a suction strainer. At a marina, I am sure we would probably use the commercial facility, but only if it beats our system.
boaterbob

City/Region: clovis
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Struck
Photos: Sea Struck
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also wanted hot water for washing dishes and showers so I bought the isotemp 4.2 gal electric water heater. Only 750 watts so it runs off of my yamaha 1000 watt gen or of course shore power. I just camped for a week at lake mead and it worked great. I have put hot/cold hand held shower in the cockpit and I have privacy curtain for my camper canvas so it is a bigger shower than I have at home. This water heater is extremly well insulated so when I leave a slip in the morning to go fishing I still have hot water at lunch time to wash up! See pics in my album.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boaterbob wrote:
See pics in my album.

Nice Job, Bob!

4 gal 750 watt water heater

cockpit shower closed

cockpit shower opened

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job! Did you find a unit without the engine heat exchanger? Where was the best price? From what I could about $600 plus S & H.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
boaterbob

City/Region: clovis
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Struck
Photos: Sea Struck
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, it was a bit of work but worth it. I bought the water heater from west marine, it does come with heat exchanger hookup but did not use them with the outboard of course. Not to many choices with 750 watt/ 120 volt elements, and the flat shape helped in mounting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: