The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Securing Boat On Trailer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eNORMous

City/Region: Beaufort
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Antibody
Photos: Antibody
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Task Force
27' Ratchet Tie Down
10000lb rating
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=128692-37340-2RT227RS&lpage=none

I use the same one as Bob. I carry 3-4 of these as standard equipment in my stowage container of the pickup, including about six 5000lb rated tie downs.

I think the one thing which makes a difference is whether someone does or does not have side rails on their trailer, also. Not only do the side rails help to guide the boat onto the trailer, but side rails also help to eliminate the boat from sliding and bouncing on the trailer should the worse case scenario come to pass.

For short hauls, I use tie-downs (three 5000lb rated) - one on the bow, and one port-side and starboard-side on the transom. Short hauls = from my house to my launch site - which is about 1 mile down the road. Lengthier trips get the 10000lb rated "Big Yeller Feller" across the entire cockpit - locked down good and tight.

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I use those exact tie downs to secure my VW in my car hauler, I just cut them shorter and melted the ends. One on each corner: rear over each axle, up front thru the wheels. They more than work.

Problem is with the Suzuki in the raised (tow) position and locked I don't have a straight shot over the stern section of the boat to the lock down loops on the trailer. I'm going to experiment more now that that giant orange orb has made itself visible in the PNW skies and I have Monday off.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: