The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Dear Catman (& anyone else who wants to chime in),

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yankeefan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Dear Catman (& anyone else who wants to chime in), Reply with quote

Catman wrote:
Partly because of pilot placement I find my 16' Angler rides like a dream machine...My weight can offset 125 lbs. of fuel and battery which are well aft, and gear can be stored in the cuddy. By the way, I burn 1 GPH mostly no matter what speed I travel.

Some time ago you asked where in an Angler one sleeps. In the cockpit! Yep, with carpet, a fat Therma Rest mattress and camper back, I'm like a bee in a begonia.

QUESTIONS:

1. Due to its better balance, do you feel the 16' Angler rides fine in heavy chop w/o any need for trim tabs?

2. What speeds are you typically running — ie., what's your average fuel economy? What engine do you have (this may be self evident, but I can't see it while writing this post)?

3. Given that all our overnights will be in mild climates & we can improvise a galley in the cockpit (we'd be grilling mostly anyway), would you recommend a 16' Angler w/Camper Top as a "pop–top" alternative to the 16' Cruiser?

4. Is there room in the forespeak for a porta–potty? Can a normal sized person squeeze in & use the forespeak as an enclosed head?

Regards,
Sandy CoolSmile
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Sweet 16 Reply with quote

Yankeefan: Sorry I can't do the hot link. But if you copy and paste to this address it has some good info. Or go to the Factory CDory website and click on the 16ft. Click on opinions. There is an article from a couple that cruises the Northwest and camps with thier 16ftr. Very interesting and informative.

http://www.c-dory.com/16%20opinion.htm

C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey the link works... Just click and read!
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yankeefan, I hope it's okay that I was really happy the Red Sox won the World Series last year. They needed that.

Now, to your first question I believe trim tabs for my 16' Angler are completely unnecessary. I'd probably use them for sun visors or something. And that boat rides in heavy chop like a duck. Picture that floating critter and you've visualized a 16. But I don't like rough water.

My Honda 50 runs sweetly at 4000 RPM, meaning 14 or 15 MPH, which seems about two or three knots slower than most 22 owners I've run with. I get 7 MPG when alone, a little more than 6 MPG with another person and his gear. When the water's fairly smooth I run at 4500 RPM, peak torque, which is 21 MPH. And it seems no matter what I do I burn right around 1 GPH.
Cat
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Dear Catman (& anyone else who wants to chime in), Reply with quote

yankeefan wrote:

QUESTIONS:

1. Due to its better balance, do you feel the 16' Angler rides fine in heavy chop w/o any need for trim tabs?

2. What speeds are you typically running — ie., what's your average fuel economy? What engine do you have (this may be self evident, but I can't see it while writing this post)?

3. Given that all our overnights will be in mild climates & we can improvise a galley in the cockpit (we'd be grilling mostly anyway), would you recommend a 16' Angler w/Camper Top as a "pop–top" alternative to the 16' Cruiser?

4. Is there room in the forespeak for a porta–potty? Can a normal sized person squeeze in & use the forespeak as an enclosed head?

Regards,
Sandy CoolSmile

Hi Sandy, prior to the purchase of our 22' Cruiser we owned a 16' Cruiser (pictures of which are still in the "Sea Shift" album). In answer to your questions..........
1. We did not have trim tabs on the 16'. Yes, the vessel was heavy in the stern....battery, two 7.5 gallon fuel tanks and one 3 gallon fuel tank. But we still managed to cruise well in the Puget Sound. (On one occasion...estimated 6' waves....Catman was out in the same seas at the same time and it was reported by a 22' C-Dory that his vessel "Bambina" was "vertical" at times.........I know that we took green water over our bow).
2. We had the 50 HP Honda with an 8 HP Honda kicker....(felt we need more weight on the stern...tee hee.. Disgust). The "seas" dictate your speed....also true in the other monohull C-Dorys. "Fuel Economy"....never worried about it 'cause it just don't get much better!....unless you're "under sail" on a sailboat.
3. Our Cruiser had the "canvas camper back". Great for privacy while at the dock, provides a place to store the things out of the weather at night time that you had on the v-berth during the day, thereby "freeing" up the v-berth for your nights' sleep. For cooking, we used a small single burner propane stove on the table. Must use great caution with it but it certainly worked. (Coffee and Chili). If secured at a dock and it wasn't raining too hard, we'd set the stove on the dock and cook on it there.
4. We stored the porta potti under the helm seat and if needed, removed it and set it in the "v-berth cut out". If the solid sided camperback was being used, the porta potti could be placed back in the cockpit. (I never had any desire to "store" the porta potti under the v-berth because with all the storage area under the v-berth, it would always be in the way of access to other items stored there).

C-Brat #16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: