View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Future adventure plans Reply with quote

Know we should and I try hard to enjoy each day as it comes, but am also always dreaming of future travels and adventures and how, when and where they might take place and what must be done to allow the dreams to become reality.

Here I will share our plans for the next three years involving travel and boating and hope others may be inclined to do the same.

2009 for us will be a preparation for retirement year. Have really been torn between going for it up north again especially if the lower fuel prices hold and better preparing for it when we do. For now preparation holds the upper hand.

Have enjoyed the Mokai in conjunction with the C-Dory so much we see another one in our future for Jo-Lee. She found in our last trip to Yellowstone Lake this fall that even with her bad shoulder she can handle the Mokai and loved doing so. So for now plan on a for the season slip at Bridge Bay, Lake Yellowstone. Travel back and forth from home less expensively in the car and have a lot of fun together learning safely the limits of the Mokai and Jo-Lee's and mine in preparation for its use in the wilderness of the further north and how the two Mokai's can be managed on the water with the c-dory in most ways and conditions.

2010 in early July is when I retire and we immediately hope to set off on an adventure to not only enjoy but also prep us even further for 2011.

Plan on going to BC, Yukon and Northwest Territories to further explore lakes and rivers we have been on in the past in our RIB and of course see some new ones. The first three months the c-dory will be left behind and we will tow a trailer with the Mokai's in it behind the truck camper. May also take a UTV to explore on the land. If our 2009 preparation proves us and the equipment up to it will likely take some several night out explorations in various places.

2011 hopefully will be the year we put the knowledge from the past together for another adventure on the Northern Inland Passage. This time very slowly using most of the summer to slow cruise and explore what we can't reach with the C-Dory the Mokai's. There is a lot of obstacles to over come in using two Mokai's with the c-dory, but I really think it can be done and after the first two preparation years we will know what must be known in order to do it.

Jay

Steve Grover

City/Region: Lake Tahoe
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Tee Ten
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Adventures Reply with quote

Your plans sound very exciting. I wish you all the luck in accomplishing them. Thumbs Up
My first year of retirement I towed my 16'er to Southern Alaska and explored and fished for only 5 weeks. Checked out the San Juans on the way back to California. My group gatherings with Brats have been Santa Barbara, Lake Powell twice, Catalina Isl, San Francisco Bay and as of today I'm planning to tow Tee Ten (19'er) to the Florida Keys in mid January to explore paradise for several weeks. Rolling Eyes
I have no idea of what I'm getting myself into going 3000 miles across the country to Southern Florida and back. I think that is what they call adventure. Idea The way I see it, if I don't do it now, there may never be another chance to do it again. I know why I retired! Not for the money.
In the next couple of months, I'm hoping to get advise from Brats on this site as to where and how to go. Question Arrow
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many places to go...

The three trips I'd like to do in the next several years are Anacortes to Glacier Bay, the Queen Charlotte Islands, and around Vancouver Island. Anybody know of any 22's that have gone to the Queen Charlotte's or around Vancouver Island?
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures Reply with quote

Steve Grover wrote:
I have no idea of what I'm getting myself into going 3000 miles across the country to Southern Florida and back. I think that is what they call adventure. Idea The way I see it, if I don't do it now, there may never be another chance to do it again. I know why I retired! Not for the money.
In the next couple of months, I'm hoping to get advise from Brats on this site as to where and how to go. Question Arrow

Way cool! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Hope to spend some time with you in FL also (we will be there mid-January through Feb, maybe part of March.) Are you bringing your Wheaton Terrier? Ike would love a play date.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, could you describe the "northern Inland passage" for those of us who are from the South?

Thanks

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exciting times ahead, Jay and Jo-Lee! Before we retired, I had 1 through 5 year plans. These days, we're a bit more serendipitous. If something comes up, we can go on a whim. You may find that the trek north is just a kick-off for what's to come. Good luck with the plans - keep us posted.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I don't think you only have to be from the South to need a further description to understand what I mean by that, because as I think you know its more of a personal opinion. Most cruising guides seem to divide The Northern Inland Passage as between Southeast Alaska and Canada, North or South of Prince Rupert or even the Dixon Entrance. All of our cruising so far has been from Prince Rupert North to Skagway and in breaking it down from there we preferred the area from and including Fredrick Sound North to Skagway more then the southern areas above Prince Rupert to Fredrick Sound which rightfully is considered part of the northern inland passage, so you're right in asking for a further personal definition. To be more clear I should have described it as the more northern section of the Northern Inland Passage in Alaska between Fredrick Sound and Skagway and also included the outside waters in this area. Our fascination with this area is due mainly to its containing large areas of extreme isolation and wilderness, the wonderful source area of the Yukon River just inland from Skagway and we always enjoy the road-trip through Canada.

Jim you're sure right about exciting times ahead and we are looking forward also to the more serendipitous, that you and Joan are presently experiencing. Hopefully this will follow close to our present plans coming to fruition.

Jay
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,
Thanks for clarification. With your mention of the Yukon and North West Territory, I thought that you were going on some inland version of the North west passage.

Yes, we are very familiar with the inland passage to Alaska, since we did it 3 times in the Cal 46 (much easier, but slower, than in the C Dory!) I would agree that it is wiser to drive up into BC and launch up there.

You make an excellent point about the Klondike and source of the Yukon River. We drove up the Alcan to Whitehorse, and then Dawson City, across the Yukon on a ferry and to Fairbanks. and then back down to Haines and Skagway, then via the Cassiar back to BC. You don't really realize the extend of the Yukon drainage as you are driving.

Sounds like great retirement plans.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jo-Lee is scheduled on March 19th for surgical repair of a tear in her left shoulder rotary cuff. She has already had two surgeries on her right shoulder and now has very limited use of that arm. We're hoping this will stop the pain and allow continued good use of her left arm. The 2nd Mokai for Jo-Lee is now out of the question. Will have to wait and see what other changes may or may not have to be made in continuing our future plans for travel and adventure.

Jay
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jay,

Sorry to hear that Jo Lee has to have surgery. Our thoughts will be with you and hope for a speedy recovery.

Karen and I very much enjoyed spending time with both of you last summer.

Steve
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: approaching retirement Reply with quote

Jay,

Thanks for sharing the dreams, and our thoughts and prayers are with Jo-Lee on her scheduled surgical repair, and we are looking forward to seeing more great trip postings from the Hunkydory crew. Congratulations and best wishes on the approaching retirement.

Harvey
SleepyC

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top rotary cuff tendon was torn completely off, but Dr was able to make repair and said shoulder should come back to near 100%, which of course was very good news to us. Now can start the dreaming and planning again. Going to take some re coop time meanwhile Thinking about going south out of Skagway again possibly late May next year.

Steve and Harvey thanks much for the shared thoughts and Steve it was very much a mutual enjoyed time shared with Karen and you last summer. Hoping we can get together again not to far in the future.

Jay
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joan and I send our wishes for a speedy recovery for Jo-Lee... you two have a lot of adventuring to do, gotta keep all those limbs and joints working. Take care.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jo-Lee, Good news. To you, a speedy recovery. Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: