The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

low power C-Dory/ Marinaut
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westward

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some performance feedback: with our 22 Angler (lighter than the cruiser but same basic hull), lightly loaded and on calm water I was able to hit 17MPH with one Honda 40 at WOT and the other out of the water. I had Permatrims. The boat was definitely lugging the engine at that point and it's nothing I would recommend doing on a regular or long-term basis. I do think a single 70 with a low pitch prop would be OK as long as you went slower and kept it in a reasonable rpm range. Hard to imagine being able to re-sell a CD22 with a single 50 very easily. The single 50 would be fine if you were content withdisplacement speeds and an infrequent emergency burst of speed. Overall, I'd advise against it. Mike.
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: 2 cents Reply with quote

I'll add my two cents to this discussion. I have a 1999 CD-22 with twin Honda 40's (which I love). Lightly and evenly loaded and with Permatrims, I can get up on plane at 11 mph and hold plane at 9 mph. One engine will do this easily.

However, cruising the Erie Canal (where the speed limit is 10 mph), I find that running both motors makes for a much more pleasant ride: the rpms are much lower than with one motor and it seems quieter.

I have tried to ascertain the difference in gas mileage: it seems imperceptible. Either running one motor or two, I get 6+ mpg at 10 mph.
marco422

City/Region: Salt Spring Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Gaiasika
Photos: Gaiasika
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of information here. My conclusion is that a 40 or 50 will plane the boat fairly easily when properly propped, but with very little reserve power. It seems like a 70 is a sensible minimum. It also seems that the difference in gas mileage will be negligible: that any engine is going to require about the same amount of fuel to deliver the required minimum horsepower. That would be if the required horsepower is delivered within the efficient operating range of the motor (say at 1500-4500 rpm, higher than idle but less than 80%). Plus, the big increase in output from the alternator is a bonus (triple on the Honda). Oh yes-- and resale value is a big issue...

Thanks for all the input!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over 6 miles a gallon at 10 miles per hour (8.7 knots) is very impressive-- how is that fuel consumption measured? Has anyone else achieved this economy? This means that you are using 1.7 gallons an hour and only using about 24 hp at 2.4 x sq root LWL...
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
flrockytop

Vessel Name: The Last One (to date)
Photos: C-LOVER
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Fuel consumption is dictated by the amount of HP used at that specific time. For gas engines it is close to 14 hp per gallon of gas per hour. It makes little difference if this HP comes from a 40 hp engine or a 75 hp engine. (there is a little friction with the very large motors, but many times larger motors actually test slightly better at these low planing speeds.

This reminds me of a question that I've been trying ,with out success , to get an answered. Has anyone ever seen the performance chart for the Suzuki 115. I'm talking about a graft/chart that shows hp and fuel burn at rpm.

Roger

Roger Rockwell
Pensacola, Fl
thataway

C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason outboard manufacturers don't put out the graphs which show RPM, Torque, Fuel consumption and HP, as do the diesel and gas inboard engine builders.

I have never been successful in finding these, although there are many published for the other engines.

What you can find is the "performance" tests--where the RPM vs fuel burn is given--but usually these are with very light boats, and don't reflect the real world fuel burn.

For example the Suzuki 115 on a sea chaser 18 with total weight somewhere near 1700 lbs.
RPM spreed gal/hr M/gal
3000 8.3 3.40 2.40
4000 26.2 4.80 5.50

Notice how the boat jumps from 8.3 to 26 mph to get on a plane. The C Dories have much less of a transition, and plane at a lower speed.

This is just one example--http://www.suzukimarine.com/boat_builders/boat_tests/

There are a number of other boats with the 115, but nothing tested really like the C Dory. This may well show us why no curves. The boats act so much differently--depending on hull design, weight, props etc....

I have an 18 foot Century with 115 Yahama total weight close to 2000 lbs, and I have to get it up to 3500 RPM to get it on a plane--and it falls off the plane as I drop much below the 3500 level. As it breaks out of the semidisplacement mode, it goes from 9 mph to 15 mph, and will not run inbetween the two speeds.
flrockytop

Vessel Name: The Last One (to date)
Photos: C-LOVER
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
For some reason outboard manufacturers don't put out the graphs which show RPM, Torque, Fuel consumption and HP, as do the diesel and gas inboard engine builders.

I have never been successful in finding these, although there are many published for the other engines.

What you can find is the "performance" tests--where the RPM vs fuel burn is given--but usually these are with very light boats, and don't reflect the real world fuel burn.

For example the Suzuki 115 on a sea chaser 18 with total weight somewhere near 1700 lbs.
RPM spreed gal/hr M/gal
3000 8.3 3.40 2.40
4000 26.2 4.80 5.50

Thanks Bob. Thats the same information I found. I was hoping I had just missed it somewhere. I we'll just have to get a dynao and get the info ourselves hi hi. I don't really know what on earth I would do with the information. Just nothing else to do. Too dang cold and windy to do anything be sit here and ponder. I even spent 8 hours yesterday and about 4 today downloading all 1019 NOAA charts and updating my Capn program.

Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: