The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Two anchors -- How to rig, store for FL?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Two anchors -- How to rig, store for FL? Reply with quote

In reading the cruising guide for the Gulf Coast and western Florida, in several places I am advised to put out two anchors -- I believe they call it a Bahamian Moor.

So -- I have a Manson Supreme on my new windlass. What kind of anchor (collapsable, storable, please!) should I get for my 2nd anchor? I am not about to take my old Bruce along too! How much rode and chain? On my old boat I had a collapsible Fortress that came in a bag and am leaning toward getting another one.

And most importantly, how do I set a Bahamian Moor on a Tom Cat? Due to the new windlass, I have had to move the former center cleat to one side of the drum and have placed another opposite it. Thus I do not have a center cleat on the foredeck any more. I could rig a bridle from the two cleats, through the chocks and then forward but I worry about getting the two anchor rodes tangled if I do that.

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Warren,

I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions on this. Here's a look at a Bahamian moor:

http://books.google.com/books?id=dZSrr0AfqnIC&pg=PA69&lpg=PA69&dq=Bahamian+moor+anchor&source=web&ots=i0n_NHW8NG&sig=mCPCKvcDzWNU2Adq_M1EOzG1JPE&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result#PPA70,M1

I generally do a modified version of this when setting two anchors, but putting the anchors out at 60º or so, with the wind direction in mind. I've not owned a TomCat, but have sailed multihulls plenty and know that you can anchor them like you would a monohull, but can effectively control your swing by using a bridle. Most of the time when we anchored in Florida, you could find good mud or sand bottom and one anchor worked fine. In crowded situations or with a storm coming in, two is better. Then you see what the conditions allow. Don't be concerned about asking for local advice... nice to know what the bottom is like and what to expect.

We've used Fortress anchors, but find you need a good length of chain to keep them down since they are so light weight; they are handy since they can be folded for storage. I usually use a danforth for my second anchor, and it worked well in FL. For storage, we just put our anchor and rode in a bag and keep it in the cockpit. If you are swinging on one anchor and need the space, you can always tie the bag on top (either in the dinghy or to the radar arch). I kinda like having the second anchor in the cockpit as a "just in case".

You can learn a lot about anchoring from Chapman's, but even more by asking locally. You may find that it's easier to set a second anchor with your dinghy... or set the first, drift back on extra scope, set the second, then tighten up the first again.

I recall our discussion about sea grass from last year... sea grass in much of Florida is protected (like coral) and you can be fined if you tear it up. The waterway guides will give you good suggestions on places to anchor... and again, ask for local info when you're in marinas or boat stuff stores... always someone who wants to tell you about "this special place." Very Happy

Best wishes,
Jim
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren -
We have anchored out along both coasts (and across the middle) of Florida with our 22 and never needed more than one anchor. We carry a second anchor (Fortress) in case we lose the primary, but have rarely used it (thank goodness).

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly agree with Bill. You don't need a second anchor in Florida. We happen to use one, mostly to keep the stern near the beach when swimming or in a crowded anchorage. I have rarely used the Bahama moor in all of our travels. I think the only time was in Beaufort NC, where there is a regularly changing current, and limited swinging. After 4 days there, our anchor rodes were so tangled it took about 3 hours to sort the two out!

A Guardian is an excellent back up anchor--this is the "cheap" Fortress. It will work well in mud as well as sand. The Manson Supreme will hold in most anything you will find down here. Get a 6 lb Guardian-it will fit nicely under the dinnett foot rest, along with a couple of hundred feet of 5/16" line or 3/8" line. 5/16 has a breaking strength of 3000 lbs, more than the anchor will hold--or the boat will probably put on it. Throw in a few feet of 1/4" chain and you are in business.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Ancora Latina

City/Region: Florianopolis - Brasil
State or Province: AL
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Two anchors -- How to rig, store for FL? Reply with quote

Doryman wrote:
What kind of anchor (collapsable, storable, please!) should I get for my 2nd anchor?Thanks,
Warren

They are few "collapsible" anchors available on the Market, The Fortress (Guardian) is a good anchor, but it takes time to disassemble it.

May be I can suggest this new one?

When you don't need it, you can easily store it in the bilge...

João

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Joao--

What size Tempest do you suggest for the Tom Cat 255"--and how much does it cost--where can you purchase it in the United States---or should I have my son's Brazilian girl friend bring it back next time she goes back to Brazil?
Ancora Latina

City/Region: Florianopolis - Brasil
State or Province: AL
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your request,

The Tom Cat 255 is 25’5” length overall / beam 8’6” and displacement 6,000 lbs.

You will find our anchor size suggestion on:

http://www.ancoralatina.com/acolhimento/ingles/selection_of_the_model/size%20selection.html

Please note that this size suggestion is for winds up to 60 knots – when most of our competitors suggest their anchor size for 30 knots of winds!.
As Cat’s have more windage than mono, I usually suggest one size bigger.

The RAYA 800 model (7,5 kg) is suggested for LOA 33’ and 4,5 tons of displacement and will be perfectly adapted for a Tom Cat 255 – this is the « SAFE SIDE » suggestion.

Costs are on:
http://www.ancoralatina.com/acolhimento/ingles/distributors/Price_list.html

The RAYA 800 is U.S. $ 280, 00 - “Tempest” model is U.S. $ 320

Shipping: We can send it by post – we also are studying the possibility of starting a manufacturing in the States or if you prefer, we will be very pleased to give it to your son's Brazilian girl friend.

João
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: