The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Camperback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nunya

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: Nunya
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Camperback Reply with quote

Planning on taking boat down in a couple days to get a camperback installed. Before I do, I have a couple questions for you that have them.
1. Do they fold up out of the way for fishing?
2. I assume they can't be trailered in the up position?
3. What type fastners are used? Regular snaps or the quarter turn ones.
I can see where they would be well worth it while anchored up in a drizzling rain, but I don't want it in the way on nice days.

Thanks...
seabeagle

City/Region: Farmington Hills
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Beagle II - Sold 4-19-12
Photos: Sea Beagle II
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 16 Cruiser with a King Marine camperback. I installed it myself an modified it very easily to fold back like a convertible. Dave at King Marine told me that it wasn't designed for highway use but, I added additional snaps and screws (nearly double). We've trailered ours at speeds near 80 mph with no issues yet. My truck also has a rear view camera that I use to monitor it while driving. Ours came with standard snaps but, you could request the quarter turn kind possibly. If it going to be custom made, ask first. Don't forget windows and screens. Check out my photo album. The Vacation 2008 folder and Mods folder have lots of pics to see it installed. You might get some cool ideas to adapt your for your own needs.

http://www.youtube.com/SeaBeagleII
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not trailer a boat with the camper canvas up--on the other hand, our boat on the lift, occasionally is hit with gusts of 40 to 50 knots with the top up.

You can zip the panels off. You want to have the back designed for the way you use the boat. I have one camper back custom designed--and like it much better than the "factory" back on the other boat.

You use conventional snaps, or the lift the dots--the turn button are not necessary or advisable. Use zippers on the top and side of the panels.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we always trailer with the campertop up. No problems. Best with the whole thing up, side curtains and all, then just the top.
seabeagle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this pic in my album of the rear view camera at 68 mph. Notice the 9.7mpg from the fuel meter on the dash of my S-10.

breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outfit who build our camperback said it was ok to trailer with it up, haven’t had any problems. We keep the zippers zipped and snaps snapped.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
thataway

Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I remove all canvas is:
There will be increased chafe on places where the canvas meets the SS or Fiberglass. There will be increased pressure on the various edges. My King Canvas did not have properly hemed raw edges, and unraveled, even though it was not deployed on the road (just on the boat).

The canvas increases windage both in a frontal plane and in a later plane--side wind.

Even if you roll a top up, and bind it with line, it will still chafe to some degree.

Well made and well cared for canvas will last up to 10-12 years of exposure--if you abuse it, it will not last as long. If you want to see the effect of wind on canvas, come through an area which has had a hurricane or even full storm force winds--these are what you are getting with trailering speeds.

Your choices and I am glad that it is working out for you all--but not something I will do. (Sure maybe a few miles a low speed, but not at highway speeds.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camperback canvas on Journey On is wonderful. Judy puts the bimini up as soon as we get in the water, and it stays up until we come out. That lets us avoid rain or direct sun. Not sure for what you're going to use the boat, but for cruising that aft enclosure is great, adds another room on the boat. Unless it get's really bad, we just add the side curtains, but if it gets windy and cold, add the back, sit out and enjoy the weather.

The only downside is that with the sides up, we have to get off the boat on the dock at the rear. Actually this works out best for me, because I really have to stoop to get to the dock at the cockpit front even when only the bimini is up.

We take the canvas down and tie the supports forward when we trailer. Takes only a few minutes. I don't want to find out why we should have taken it down after the damage is done.

Boris
flrockytop

C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: The Last One (to date)
Photos: C-LOVER
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have them make you one like what I had made. No problem in fishing. I have towed it with the top canvas on but if I'm going more than 500 miles I take the top canvas off. It only takes about 10 min to put it back on. I have CD22 but same thing would work on the 16.
Roger

Roger Rockwell
Pensacola, Fl
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 2 1/2 years we've owned Wild Blue, we've trailered her about 25,000 miles. We take the canvas off when trailering, except the bimini - and that gets rolled up, covered, and strapped to the cabin bulkhead. It shows no wear. We also roll our canvas, put cloth between each piece of eisenglass, and the whole works goes into a Sunbrella bag that Joan made for it. That rides in the truck when we're on the road. We use a floatie-noodle to roll the pieces around so none of the eisenglass gets creased.

The camperback gets used almost all the time we're cruising; the exception being in unusually warm weather. If we need to take down the sides/rear pieces when cruising, we can strap it to the radar arch (in the bag).

To answer the original questions:
1. The bimini can be folded against the cabin to be out of the way for fishing (an assumption, since we don't fish Wink ).
2. As mentioned above, we don't trailer with it in the up position. It only takes a few minutes to take it down and put it away... and no wear/grime from the road.
3. Regular snaps. Every so often, we put some silicon spray on a Q-tip and clean/lube the snaps; makes 'em easier to snap/unsnap when necessary.

We also spray the canvas/eisenglass down to get the salt spray off it before it goes in the bag.

The camperback is a great addition to the boat - really expands the living space, keeps the cockpit dry, and keeps the cabin warmer when it's cool out.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

seabeagle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points by everyone. The top does come down pretty fast for storage anyway and it will surely last longer with proper care. With ours up on the 16 models, I think it prevents items from being wind blown from the rear of the open cabin. Any we're lazy too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: