The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Shore Power -- GFCI at dock or GFCI on boat or both

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Shore Power Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Shore Power -- GFCI at dock or GFCI on boat or both Reply with quote

We are going to add shore power to our CD22 by going the 15 amp route. After reading some Posts http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=4219&highlight=shore+power+gfci from the 2006 time frame, a few Brats added their shore power by using a GFCI Junction box contractors cord, Marinco Onboard Charger Inlet, and a 15 amp contractors cord. This is the route that we want to take.

The question is:

Marinco just came out with a 30amp to 15amp adapter that has the GFCI included http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detail.htm?fno=230&group=1294.

So instead of mounting the GFCI Junction box inside the boat, I'm thinking of just using the Marinco adapter with the GFCI at the dock power and running a 10 gauge contractor cord to the boat. Then the boat will just have the Marinco Onboard Charger Inlet and a "normal" power strip inside.

Are there any concerns with having the GFCI on the dock instead of the boat? Would our protection be the same? Any concerns that you could see with this method?

This seems to make the "Simple Shore Power" solution even Simpler.

Thanks for your help.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Marinco and contractors GFCI and splitters are made for tools at the dock.
At times the dock wiring may have the neutral and ground reversed. We carry a tester ($6--which allows checking for polarity in the 110 V circuits).

You may want to tuck the 15 amp input (male plug, recessed) out of the spray, perhaps under the gunnel. You need dual circuit breakers on the hot and neutral lines coming into the boat. You also want a separate breaker (hot only) on the charger and plug circuit. Many boats have the ground tied to the battery negative or ground system of the boat (not radio ground or bonding system). Often this is done at the battery charger.

The Honda EU series are inverter outputs and will show a weak reverse polarity, but function fine in the boat. I have not seen any GFCI problems. All of the plugs in the boat need to be GFCI protected by ABYC conventions--so even if you had the external GFCI, you should have the plugs with GFCI protection.

You might consider using a heavy duty exterior 12 gauge wire extension cord with the female molded plug left on the cord, and the male plug cut off and a 30 amp marine male plug put in place. (This may be cheaper than using a 30 to 15 adaptor and a cord.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a GFCI in the boat and shore power feeds through it. An important safety feature in my view.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my GFCI 15 A receptacle mounted in a metal electrical box with a 15A male lead cord, so that I can insert in between the Shore Power cord when using that source, but remove it when plugging directly to my Honda 1000I inverter generator, so as to remove it from the chain.

The generator doesn't have a real ground, although they call it a "floating ground", which, I suppose, gives a false sense of security to those who need it!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Shore Power Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: