The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Radar Arch for CD 25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helm

City/Region: Medford
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Radar Arch for CD 25 Reply with quote

We are adding a Sitex MDS-9 radome to our CD 25 and think that a radar arch would be the ticket. What do you like about your current arch?
What would you change? If you could have the perfect arch what would it be? Who would you have build it?
Thanks
Eric
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One caution is to not make the total height of arch and radar low enough so there is no problem with bridges and trees. Some folks want to put the dinghy under the arch--and this usually requires 15 to 17" off the cabin top. Do you want rocket launchers? Are you going to re-locate the steaming light/riding light to the arch?

We have just gone with short pedistals (made of 4" PVC Pipe" on our C Dory 25 and Tom Cat. The Radar is located far enough foreward, that the dinghy goes aft of the radar, and the aft pontoons go on each side of the radome.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
The Radar is located far enough foreward, that the dinghy goes aft of the radar, and the aft pontoons go on each side of the radome.

If the radar array were located aft and at the same level as the dinghy (so that the radar would have to shoot through the dink) how would you expect that to affect the radar performance? I have my array mounted on a pedestal to put it above the dink but I am wondering how necessary that is -- it would be nice to lose 18" or so of height by removing the pedestal.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
helm

City/Region: Medford
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren and Bob
Both of you seem to think it best to just mount the radome on the cabin top. Aft or forward?
Thanks
Eric
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eric,

We have the tall factory arch on our 25. Works great with our dinghy on top. Knowing we'd have the camperback, we didn't want to have the radar at the forward part of the cabin... we put the dinghy on top from the bow and can just slide it straight back. If the radar was on a pedestal towards the front of the cabin, you would have to work around it with the dinghy. Besides the radar, we have our VHF antenna and GPS puck mounted on the arch. To keep things out of the cockpit when we're cruising, we have tied other stuff to the arch while at anchor (solar shower with the hose led into the head, fuel containers, spare anchor, fenders, etc).

Dr. Bob certainly has a point regarding height... I figure we're close to 13' on the trailer and I plan for 12' clearance when on the water. Neither of those has been a significant factor to this point, but it is something to keep in mind.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

thataway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren, I have "shot through" dinghy's for some time. There is little loss of radar image, through the fabric or even wood. There can be some loss if you are shooting through metal, however, many sailboats put the radar dome on the aluminum mast. Again, there is little loss.

We make our Radar high enough to be above the metal of the air conditioner. We use "water closet fittings" on the top and bottom of the PVC pipe and bolt these to the cabin top and a piece of Starboard for the bottom of the radar dome. We have used this technique for over 9 years on various boats. The cost of this "radar mount" is less than $20.

The first photo is the Tom Cat and we have put the dinghy upside down over the air conditioner, radar and hailer at times. The second photo is the C Dory 25 which has only the radar in the center, and we can put the small dinghy aft.

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helm wrote:
Both of you seem to think it best to just mount the radome on the cabin top. Aft or forward?

I say aft because it makes it easier to get the dink on the cabin roof when you can stand on the foredeck and slide it up on the top and not have the radar in the way. If you don't have canvas then this may not be as important and it becomes a wash, and your decision will be based on whether it is easier for you to wrestle with the dink from the foredeck or the cockpit. Keep in mind the foredeck is higher, so provides more of a natural series of steps from the water to the bow to the foredeck to the cabintop. OTOH, the cockpit is more secure. Another factor, as others have mentioned, is whether you want a rocket launcher setup.

Warren
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Radar Reply with quote

I too suggest mounting the radar up on a pedastal. My preference was to mount it forward. My dinghy fits perfectly between the all around light and the rear of the radar pedastal. On the Tomcat the all around light is aft and would affect the position of the radar mount unless it were otherwise moved.
Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bring the dinghy up from the side. One hand on the dinghy and one hand on the cabin railing to steady each of us. Two pulls and the dinghy slides right up onto the cabin top.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of thoughts about a radar arch and installing a radar.

First, the radar on top of your boat sends out the same type of microwave energy as a microwave oven. It seems to me that whatever the circumstances, avoiding that blast of microwaves would be desirable.

In addition, the higher the radar dome, the better one gets data, due to the earth's curvature and sea clutter angle. OK, when it's on a C-Dory, you can't get very high, but to do the best I can, I got the "high" radar arch.

So, once we selected the high arch, where do we put the radar transmitter so as to avoid the most energy? Well, the energy comes out of the antenna at ~+30 deg. So there's a cone of silence (sorry, couldn't resist,) directly below the radar dome. And that's where I mounted the arch and the radar dome. With the anchor light pedestal removed, I also have free access to the cabin top. If you don't want the arch up there, because of fishing pole holders, at least mount the radar dome up at the front.

Boris
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of "range" on the radar on the top of a C Dory will not effectively change with the antenna being 2 feet higher. The radar horizon for 12 feet and 14 feet off the water is essentially the same.

The microwave energy of a recreational radar is of very short duration and relitively low power, and the beam is rotating. I suggest that people not put their eyes or genitalia within the beam. Most of us are outside of the 15 degree down cone of the radar (as Boris says the total beam width vertically is about 25 to 30 degrees). Most likely even the head will be out of the beam with the radar mounted on a low bracket on the aft part of the cabin top. As Boris, we mount ours close to the front of the cabin, and we are directly under the scanner, where there should be no danger of microwave radiation. The health risks of a high power military or air port radar is an entirely different story.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When one reads this, one may assume that I don't have much to do today. You're correct. Company left. Next company due Friday.

Bob's correct as to range. Assuming that a C-Dory Cap'n is only interested in reasonable sized targets on the horizon (25' or greater,) the difference in range is <1/4 mile (actually 10.60 vs 10.76 for those that are picky.) And it probably doesn't give much of a better look angle at short range (sea clutter,) wave reflections.

Where I worry more than Bob is the cumulative effect of microwave radiation on humans, especially the thinking area (no, not that part, higher up around your head.) Having spent a lot of time around microwave transmissions, I tend to worry that the damage is cumulative, and thus will do anything to minimize it. 2' higher above my head sounds better than 1/2' to me. And 2 Kw is not a trivial amount of power.

And the arch leaves the cabin top clear, front or rear.

Fried Boris
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be a fishing guide on the lower willamette river who fished a alumaweld guide model, about a 22 footer with an outboard. He had radar mounted on about a 2 foot post right on his flat bow. It was right at head height for he and his clients if they were sitting in the chairs. His nickname was "radar". Everytime I saw him on that boat I wondered how his faculties were doing, and those of his clients.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: