The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Will a 50 HP push a 22' Cruiser?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Will a 50 HP push a 22' Cruiser? Reply with quote

From: B.Anderson (Original Message) Sent: 2/19/2003 6:37 PM
I'm looking at a '95 22' Cruiser that only has a single 50HP four-stroke. Will this be enough to push her? Anyone with experience out there with a 50?

I'm difinitely not a leadfoot, so I'm not looking to git-there-fast, but I don't want to have to cut the handle off my toothbrush to save weight so she get up on step, either.

Help!

B Anderson
bandmo@alaska.net

Good question, bum answer.

What sort of load do you normally have aboard? 50 h.p. will surely plane the boat with a light load -- maybe a couple of bodies and not much else -- but if you load the boat down with full fuel, full water, normal galley equipment, anchor and rode, etc., plus a kicker, the 50 could be marginal in a big hurry. The 22 is about as easy to get on plane as any boat her size, but it all depends on your probable use. The 22 is a delightful combination with a 75, and many on this site use more power -- 50 is certainly at the low end, but I'm sure it is adequate if the boat is light. If to plane is not on your requirement list, then an 8 or 9.9 is all you need.

There are nearly 200 skippers in the Brat pub that use a variety of engines -- and I'm certain that you'll get some good advice. 50 okay, guys 'n' ladies??

Dusty

Hi Blain,

Nice to hear from you Blain. Dusty is right on, in that 50 hp will plane it light, but when you start using it your load is going to vary and I think you're going to find the 50's performance somewhat less than satisfying.

I'm not really a leadfoot either, in spite of my size 14's but I would be looking for at least a 75hp. By the same token I wouldn't turn down a nice boat if the 50hp was the issue. Can alway swap up or sell the 50, "if" after you've driven it enough to think that you want more, and replace it with a 75hp.

Mark

Or, buy a 2nd 50, move over the first and have twins!

Steve

I like Steve's idea...take a marginal situation, and make it ideal.

While not an exact match, I was in a similar situation. I had a Yamaha F60 on my CD19 when I first purchased it. It was, for me, woefully underpowered. It took at least 20 seconds to get on plane (lightly loaded). It was an absolute slug, and I had the lowest pitched prop available from Yamaha on it. Could have got a custom prop, pitched lower, but I don't think it would have helped much. I replaced it with an F80, and am happy as a clam.

Also, when you're this underpowered, the engine is going to take more stress. With the F60, it seemed like the engine was always straining, and I had to use full throttle often. With the F80, it hums along at the same cruising speed, pushing a much larger prop, at much lower RPM's.

Bill

"B":

A single 50 will be on the low edge of the performance envelope. It will be not be up to the task of planning with much of a load, like a fishing buddy, full fuel, an ice chest, spare anchor, full fish box, etc. And this degrades as you increase elevation past sea level.

One of the great things about outboards is you can change them in a day. You might put on your best frown for the seller, go for a sea trial, frown some more, get the price down a bit, then buy it and do whatever feels good for a motor. Maybe stay with the 50 for a while until you absorb the abundance of information on outboads available. Most 22's will have between 50 and 115 total hp. Go high if you want to take 3 buddies and water ski.

Good Luck, Roy

Well, this is really good information. I appreciate it. Thanks all.

I faintly recall trying to swap up to a boat of the name "2nd Byte". Hmmmmn... Done with this nasty winter yet Mark?

I like the idea of adding a second 50 if it chugs. Do you need to fill in the old holes in the transom?

As for the full fish box, I don't think that will be a problem. The only thing I seem to catch is those little rockfish, and it takes a right mess of 'em to fill up the cooler.

BAnderson
bandmo@alaska.net

Yes, you'll need to fill the old transom holes--absolutely. You don't want any water entering the boat from a following sea or soaking into the balsa filler in the transom. I'd make up a mixture of micro-balloons and epoxy and fill the holes, or even 3M's 5200. Then reserve the last 1/8" or so and fill with Marine-Tex to give it a finished look. Then try to match your color gel coat. There are probably other ways to fill them, but that's what I would do.

Steve

Nope Blain, I'm a long way from being thru with this winter, dad nab it. You're not either but you will be a lot closer than me. I've got a few boat projects and it is supposed to get up to above 0 in a few days so I'll slip my bermudas on and get started on it.

As Steve said, it's critical to fill any holes in the transom or most anywhere else in the boat. If you've closed the deal on the boat, Congratulations, if not, good luck. Steve probably has the best solution in just picking up another 50.

If you plan on getting over to Valdez this year give me a shout and maybe we can tag up.

Mark

Thanks for the advice.

Sounds like a plan. I'll keep this site posted of my progress on the "acqusition". Don't want to jinx it...

Mark, I hope to make a run to Valdez sometime in the fall. I'll try to catch up with you then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: