View previous topic :: View next topic  
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Type 1 Life Jackets Reply with quote

I ran across this link the other day for a deal on type 1 life jackets. I haven't bought from the guy as I don't need any but it appears to be a good deal and the reviews are all positive. $10 including shipping versus West Marine price of $45 http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=825247
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deal except I think shipping is another $3ea. Still a good price at $13, takes up a lot of space though.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
marvin4239

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you're right on the price Charlie I was looking at the children's jacket price. With this d### cold weather (going down in the 20's tonight)here in tropical Florida I find myself spending a lot of time on the web. Gonna have to hide my credit card and disable paypal.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna be single digits here in VA tonite, didn't get above 20 all day! Creek was frozen over this morning, the squirrels were fighting the birds for the birdseed.

As for credit cards, Sally lost her Gold MasterCard a couple of weeks ago but whatever lady found it is charging less than she was so I haven't reported it stolen!! Rolling Eyes Shocked

Charlie
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at these type I jackets in comparison with the ones I have: These appear to be stowed in a straight position (not folded over for use--and do not fit like a jacket. The ones I have, have over 200% more reflective tape than these, they fit, like a jacket, with a draw string at the bottom (under arm fabric, to keep from floating up)--and are fairly comfortable to wear--the ones pictured don't look comfortable to wear).

We wear our custom type III, and carry 6 type II jackets, plus have 4 inflatables on board. If taking dignetaries on harbour cruises, we thew in the type I jackets. No question that a type one jacket is better--with Solas tape, and more floatation. But not all Type I jackets are equal. Certainly these are worth the $13..

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy four type III, MADE IN USA, life vests for $12.99 each from Cabelas.
Adult CK-94-3052 $14.99
Child/Youth CK-94-3053 $14.99
OR four for 12.99 each.
Made in USA employing Americans not Chinese. Besides do you really want to buy something from a country that puts poison in our dog food and poison in baby formula for their own people just to increase profits? Buy a vest made in China and your armpits may rot off. Or you just might sink.
Forrest
PS: In no way does this rant diminish my respect for Chinese Americans.
marvin4239

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest how do you know these are made in China? Not doubting you but I don't see anything saying that in the description. I think there's quite a difference in type 1 and type 3 but really don't know. I think type 1 is approved for commercial use? Personally I try to avoid foreign made products.
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type I jackets have at least 22.5 lbs of floatation; type III 15.5 lbs minimum.

Type I are designed to be used for emergency use and can be stowed. Type III must be worn to be counted as life jackets.

Type I will turn an unconscious person face up; Type IIi allow a swimmer to orient themselves face up --but not necessarilly turn face up.

Type I are usually in Adult and child size. Type III have multiple sizes form infant to XXXL.
eNORMous

City/Region: Beaufort
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Antibody
Photos: Antibody
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest,

I and many members I'm sure (those of Asian and in particular Chinese descent) do not appreciate your bigotry - it is unwarranted, unjustified and unaccomodating. Please refrain from it in the future. Human beings have every right to feel kinship, love and respect for their heritage, their motherland, and their family ancestry. You are only diminishing that ability by demonstratinig your bigotry.

Thank you,
eNORMous

C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: pfd's Reply with quote

Go to this http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/course/boating/4_2_a.php for a listing and details on pfd's. I believe most type III pfd aren't required to be worn to count as a pfd. I believe most inflatables are required to be worn to be counted as a pfd and I noticed in the Defenders catalog that there are some inflatable type III's; I thought all inflatables were type V's; oh well, more to learn.

Jay
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
According to the Coast Guard Auxiliary classes Type V must be worn to be counted not type III.
Norm,
As I said, I have great respect for Americans of all decent. What I don't understand is a country that will mow down their own people with tanks if they have a different opinion. That will put melamine in baby formula to raise the measured protein level to increase profits. That turns entire cities into waste dumps salvaging old computers without remorse for the children ingesting the mercury in the water. That takes the organs of political prisoners and gives them to the ruling class. That takes the bodies of political prisoners on puts them on display for the rest of the world to view in the body exhibit. That takes entire towns and tells them that they will only make shoes or ties or some other type of consumer goods that they can sell cheap and put all other businesses of the world out of business for the good of the state and the ruling party. Yeah you're right I don't like the Chinese system of government and I don't like how American business and consumers are selling out to them to buy cheap consumer goods just to make more money or boost profits. It's time we supported American businesses and American workers and I do not apologize for that opinion.
Forrest
On Edit: Norm ask yourself truthfully if you would have a C-Dory (or any other type of pleasure craft) if you were born into a system of government that exists in China today.
Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're on the subject of life preservers, here's something to consider: before you spend a lot of money, and bet your life (and the lives of your crew) in the process, borrow a Type I, II, III or V from someone, put it on, wear it for a while, and then jump in the water, and see how you float. Here's what I've found, and concluded:

Type I: bulky to wear, but keeps you floating, face up, with your head out of the water. These are the best USCG approved devices, and what you want to be wearing if you actually go overboard, or if things get really sporty. But, they are so bulky that few people are able to wear them routinely. We don't carry them on board, but would if we went offshore more frequently.

Type II: same as Type I, but not as bulky, and you don't float quite as well. We carry these as spares, for passengers, and to meet the minimum USCG requirements.

Type III: very convenient to wear, little restriction of motion, although a little warm during the summer. And it will keep you floating. But, if you strike your head on the way overboard, or have some other disabling injury, you will be found floating, dead, face down in the water. Type III is the standard issue USCGAUX device, primarily because of wearability. And, if you're conscious, it keeps you afloat reasonably well. But before you take great comfort in a Type III, try being in the water, holding your breath, and going totally limp: pretend you're unconscious. My experience is that it takes about 15 seconds for a Type III to have you face down. How long it takes to drown, once your face is in the water, will vary with the individual, and the water conditions. Estimate how long it will take to accomplish a man overboard extraction, and I think the bottom line is that if you hit your head on the way overboard, or for any reason become unconscious in the water, the rescue of someone wearing a Type III will quickly turn into a body recovery.

Type V: AKA, inflatable. Very convenient to wear, and will keep you floating on your back, face up and mouth and nose clear of the water. They are so effective that if you want to swim after one of these have inflated, you need to bleed out some air (actually, CO2). You can get the kind that are manual inflate only, but if you hit your head on the way overboard, you're like the fellow with a Type III, only your body will be a little harder to locate. You can also get the auto/manual inflate version, which is what I was wearing when I went overboard in the shipping lanes of the Chesapeake, while boating solo. That thing inflated before I figured out that I had gone overboard, and had me floating like a cork, face up and clear. These have to be worn to be counted (throw a few cheap Type II's on board for emergencies, and to meet the basic regulatory requirements). But, face it, any jacket has to be worn to do you much good. I have about 950 underway hours on the CD22, and have worn a Type V inflatable for most of them. Of the two devices we carry, we've had one emergency inflate, as mentioned above, and two false inflates. One false inflate was during transport, when the device was left on the cabin floor, bounding up and down. The other was after a driving rainstorm, when the device was stored horizontally, rather then vertically, and water allowed to run up toward the inflate mechanism.

dave

City/Region: Riverview
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Cocoon
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my type 1s for my new boat at West Marine on sale for $7+ each.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake and appologies, I had the impression that type III"s had to be worn some time in the past. Yes, certainly the type V's do have to be worn.

We do not wear life jackets, except in specific situations when on board the C Dory--but they are always close at hand. In the dinghy, or in the Kayaks, we wear life jackets most of the time. Only in rough water do we wear life jackets on our CC. All children and non swimmers wear jackets at all times when on the boats, and on the docks.

Each of us makes our decisions about what are acceptable levels for us and our guests.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: