Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GxK

City/Region: Frenchman's Bay, Lake Ontario
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: At Last! ex Goose
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Southbound on ICW/Budget Reply with quote

All hands--

Before the RLG will give her consent to a cruise from Lake Ontario to the Florida Keys, I need to get Her approval on a budget.

Here's what I've worked up for a relatively leisurely cruise south, our first time on the ICW:

Distance 1,800 miles
Average daily run 75 miles in 3 to 6 hours
Four days under way 300 miles per week
Total time required 6 weeks
Fun to be had Priceless

BUDGET:

1,800 miles at 15 knots = 120 hours @ 5 gph = 600 gallons of gasoline
Average price of fuel might be less than $3 per gallon in 2009 but let's $3.00
Total fuel bill $1,800.00

Marinas 3 days a week times 6 weeks = 18 overnights
Guesstimate max of $50 per night
Total marina costs $900.00

Eating out 3 days per week times 6 weeks = 18 meals
Figure 9 meals for two at $50 and 9 meals at $100
Total restaurant costs $1,350.00

Boat maintenance (to be safe) $500.00

Other expenses $200 per week $1,200.00

TOTAL BUDGET $5,750.00

Comments, feedback, better ideas, please.

--Georgs

Frenchman's Bay, Lake Ontario
http://tomcat-tales.blogspot.com/
eNORMous

City/Region: Beaufort
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Antibody
Photos: Antibody
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgs-

Those numbers look pretty reasonable. You need to start somewhere to demonstrate the costs right? If you add 15% (for margin of error) which is generally my method of madness, I arrive at $6612.50 tops. If you exceed that and you're not half way to FL, you need to call for a trailer and head home. Cry

What day you beginning the trip? As you meander through North Carolina, I live on the ICW here in Beaufort, NC. I'd be happy to have dinner with you folks (at my home or elsewhere) and assist in whatever way I can to accomodate your needs as you migrate south!

Sounds like a wonderful trip!

Norm

eNORMous

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgs,
Are you planning to remain in the keys? If not, don't forget the cost of the return trip. Mr. Green
I found a couple of links embedded within this link I'm providing to you. If you're like me, I enjoy reading other folks' accounts of trips and looking at additional information.
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising/11319-lake-ontario-florida-keys-caribbean.html
GxK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eNORMous wrote:
What day you beginning the trip? As you meander through North Carolina, I live on the ICW here in Beaufort, NC. I'd be happy to have dinner with you folks (at my home or elsewhere) and assist in whatever way I can to accomodate your needs as you migrate south!

Thanks very much for the kind offer, Norm. We are looking at a start from Lake Ontario in the fall.

--Georgs
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am impressed..... We just got home from five weeks aboard...and decided that was fun but we were beat... next time...we are going to go for 3 or 4 weeks...then leave the boat for a month or so...and return (by air) and go for another 3 or 4 weeks..... I feel that by the last week we were just driving to get home... we missed to much...

Towing the boat cross-country was exhausting...if I could afford it I would own a boat in Florida and leave it there year round...
Our boat is a 22' cruiser...and yours is larger and much more comfortable.

Joel
SEA3PO
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotta ask, how are you getting home?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgs,
I think that your numbers are close--and it should work for you.

I wonder about an engine oil and lower unit oil change? (unless you have E-tec's.) and you may have that covered under "boat maintance". I would probably have new water pump impellers before leaving.

Have fun, and say "hi" to Norlene!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
GxK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Atlantic ICW Reply with quote

marvin4239 wrote:

I'm not sure yet. Could ship or trailer the boat home, cruise it north again, leave it down south for future adventures, who knows?

--Georgs
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the ol' Chinese said, "Every trip begins with the first step."" Great to dream and to plan, and then, "Adios, amigos." Have a great trip and keep your friends on the site up-to-date.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Atlantic ICW Reply with quote

So doesn't the answer to that question have a bit of an impact on the budget? Laughing

GxK wrote:

I'm not sure yet. Could ship or trailer the boat home, cruise it north again, leave it down south for future adventures, who knows?

--Georgs

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Atlantic ICW Reply with quote

GxK wrote:
marvin4239 wrote:

--Georgs

Hey Georgs I like your style "Just do it" life is to short to worry about to many details. You could even make a "Great Loop Trip" on your return or cruise the St Johns or do the Okeechobe loop lots of options.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suggestion for the Great Loop is a very good one; actually it's a great one. If you have to go through Lake Ontario, you're already on the Great Loop, and it's a wonderful trip and doable with your budget. The only difference to the boat is one is down on rivers/dams and the other is up on the ICW. Both of those are great trips, and you'll meet a lot of your countrypersons on the way. By the way, who runs Canada in the winter?

Also, you've got the perfect boat for the trip. We started at Mobile Bay with Our Journey, a sailboat with 6' draft, went around Florida, up the coast, through the Eire Canal to Lake Michigan. Took us 2 seasons, because Our Journey averaged 5 knts. And we had to put the mast up, down, up, down, etc. That's why we didn't finish the river part, but shipped Our Journey back to LA. Also, the ICW is primarily for cruisers, and a 6' draft was exciting. With your Tomkat, you don't have any of those problems.

I'd suggest that you have a heater in the winter and a cheap air conditioner in the summer (see thataway for installation.) With a trailer, you can cut off the Great Lakes, wonderful but long, but DON"T miss the Eire Canal.

Boris
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have an exception to a few suggestions by Boris. If you time the trip (not too hard to do with a power boat) you shouldn't have need for an air conditioner. We followed the 70 degree isotherm on our trip northerly up the AICW - pretty easy to tell - just stay with the bloom of the redbuds or the dogwoods. Southerly, we followed the fall color.

Also, we would not "skip the Great Lakes" - although it's your 'back yard' there's marvelous cruising (as you know) through Georgian Bay and the Trent/Severn.
eNORMous

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you have plenty of time to plan your trip, the other thing I would consider (because I have done both ways) is this: Once you're inside FL on the AICW, how do you intend to arrive in the keys, and where will you reside in the keys? Two, IMO, possibilities exist: (1) Cruise the AICW from Stuart south, come out at Biscayne Key, make the turn at Key Largo and dead-head to the Keys; or, (2) consider the Okeechobee Waterway where you'll begin in Stuart, and arrive near Ft. Myers (Sanibel Island) and you can dead-head to the Keys or the Dry Tortugas.

I've spent oodles of time both SCUBA and fishing from Key Largo to the Dry Tortugas with several friends (and boat builders) residing in Islamorada, Marathon, Bahia Honday Key areas. If you do SCUBA, there are some fine stone crab claws to be obtained (during the season) at Sombrero Key, Loue Key and Bahia Honda Key along the coral reefs at depths no greater then 35'. Additionally, some very tasty spiny lobsters during season - my favorites - delicious, not much meat (more like crayfish) but very, very tasty and very easy to catch at night. Lots of great flounder to be had, as well.

Tons of boatels to choose from, as well. You might look into boatels as an option for where you intend to reside for periods of time. They make life very enjoyable when you can get up, get on the boat, and cruise.

I personally love viewing the spectacular homes on the AICW in the areas of Pompano, Ft. Lauderdale, and Miami - when I have the time. Some of the glass museums owned and maintained by several owners (in their backyards), and at least one house with an underground bedroom with portholes into the AICW are well, they're pretty wild. My point here is this. The homes, and the AICW in this area are remarkable - I have witnessed it change since the first time I travelled the AICW in the Pompano, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami area since 1969 - and, change it has - spectacular - but you're going to find it very, very slow. Mostly no wake zones (for very good reason) extending nearly the entire course of travel in this area. Once you pop out of the AICW, in the general area of Biscayne Key, you'll be dead-heading for the most part to your destination in the FL Keys - wherever that is.

Not sure if you SCUBA or not. When you make the bend around Key Largo, there is Jules Underwater Lodge. I recall when it was built. I've several friends who have done the overnight - and, said it was "pretty cool". I have not done it myself. Just thought I'd toss it out as an alternative accomodation if you're the adventurous type mate!

http://www.jul.com/frontpage.html

Finally, don't forget mate, fall is hurricane season. I don't want to draw unwarranted skepticism into your plans. Use diligence regarding what month you intend to leave in the fall and just keep a mindful eye on the North Coast of Africa chap!

So, anyways, just thought I'd toss out some options for you to consider and review over the next 5-6 months.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it makes virtually no difference going North or South on the Atlantic ICW, (or east or west on the Gulf Coast ICW) it can on the river system. As you head up the inland waterways, there can be a moderate amount of current against you. This depends on the season and amount of water which has to be released by the dams along the way. Generally the least current is in the fall, and most in the spring. Going from S. Florida back to Georgs residence in Ontario could be close to 4,000 miles doing the "reverse" of the great loop. This is the reason that the vast majority of the "loopers" do the counter clockwise direction.

Either way--the Great Loop is a wonderful trip. We have considered doing the part we have not done--in the reverse fashion, but in the late summer or fall, when the flow rates were lowest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: