The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Blue Seas 7600 -- BatteryLink ACR
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eNORMous

City/Region: Beaufort
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Antibody
Photos: Antibody
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I saw into Joe's perpetual energy machine - not what I had intended or was conveying.

However, I have a 2008 Suzuki DF150. I'll look at the documentation closely in short order to see if there are two output separator plugs.

Also, I have a 2007 C-Dory 25' Cruiser and yes it came with the Guest 5/5/10 Battery Charger and a Guest 30AMP Galvonic Isolator; and, as I have indicated, I have two Interstate SRM-27 Group 27(A) 750MCA Deep Cycle Batteries. At this point, following the wiring runs, I can tell for certainty that all three lug sets (e.g. 5/5/10) have wires connected to the Guest 5/5/10 Battery Charger (at least there are wires: black/blue-stripe-over-red (LUG SET 1); black/black-stripe-over-red (LUG SET 2 [middle lugs]); and, black/solid-red (LUG SET 3). From the Guest 5/5/10 Owner's Manual diagrams: LUG SET 1=5AMP; LUG SET 2=5AMP; and, LUG SET 3=10AMP.

You can connect this beast in one of two manners (based upon the Guest Owner's Manual documentation):

(1) Used with x2 12V Batteries (in series; yielding x1 parallel circuit) for a 24V system, and x1 other 12V Battery (yielding x1 additional parallel circuit) (e.g. 5+5 [x2 5AMP in series=x1 parallel circuit]/10 [x1 parallel 10 AMP circuit]) - essentially x2 parallel circuits; or,

(2) Used with x3 independent (parallel circuits) 12V Batteries [5/5/10].

I'm currently in the process of deciphering those color-coded wiring runs from the Guest 5/5/10 Battery Charger aft-wards into the stern-transom vestibule. I'll create a schematic of my own which demonstrates the connections to the various isolators, batteries, bus bars & battery switch.

The thing which is odd about the LED display on the Guest 5/5/10 Battery Charger is the fact there are only TWO LED displays - not three - as I would have suspected. So, again, additional thoughtful studying of this crows-nest should prove rewarding - I wonder how I'd shape under the influence of an oil-can (FOSTER's that is).

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quote about the regulator is from the current (2009) brochure on line. But the same holds true for the 2006 engines--I do not believe that there is any change between 2006 and 2009 in the charging circuits.

Hopefully C Dory has kept the same code to the batteries--but I suspect they may not have. When adding more wire, they often use a black for negative and red or orange for positive (at least that is what was done in my Tom cat and earlier C Dory 25.)

I am interested in the 24 volt charging circuit-(realizing it does not apply to your boat)--Does the charger sense that there is already a 12 volt potential at the ground point on the second set of leads hooked up--thus putting the charging circuit into series for 24 volts? Usually one has to have a parallel/series switch or plug so that each battery is charged at 12 volts, and then up in series for use on the trolling motor.

Be sure and label all of the wires as you trace them out--on the wire, as well as on the diagram. That way if you have a problem, it will be faster to find the correct wire. Also check to be sure that there is a fuse at the battery ever for the charging circuit.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record:

I was not suggesting that the electric "Perpetual Motion Machine" would work!

Not from a Physics / Chemistry / Science teacher, for sure!

I was apparently unclear on what Norm was proposing, and exploring what I thought he was suggesting, so went down that line of thinking to show that it wouldn't work, without outright condemning it.

Read the both posts again and you'll see what I mean.

I wrote:

"2) generate 120 vac with the inverter, then use that 120 vac to run the charger, and charge the batteries. At least it seems so at first.

But, with this second choice, we're stuck in a loop! We're using the battieries to charge themselves!

Current comes out of the batteries to power the inverter which then generates the 120 volt current to power the charger which returns current to the batteries. Either we have a perpetual motion machine, or something's not right."

The next time I invent a Perpetual Motion Machine and / or Endless and Inexhaustable Free Energy Source I'll be sure to let you know just as soon as get home from the Patent Office!

Joe. Laughing

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:

Current comes out of the batteries to power the inverter which then generates the 120 volt current to power the charger which returns current to the batteries. Either we have a perpetual motion machine, or something's not right."

The next time I invent a Perpetual Motion Machine and / or Endless and Inexhaustable Free Energy Source I'll be sure to let you know just as soon as get home from the Patent Office!

Joe. Laughing

If both devices were 100% efficient, it would run forever but they are not and never will be. There will also be losses in the wires and everything else due to heat...

I once thought I had done something like that though.... For my Masters thesis, I wrote a digital simulation for the Automatic Combustion Control System for the boilers on an Aircraft Carrier. When I opened the throttles on the simulation, it made fuel oil and feedwater! Wow!! Shocked

After a few sign changes, it reverted to what it should have done! Embarassed

BTW, I reread my thesis once in awhile and don't understand it any more...Don't wait for the movie to come out... Smile

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: