View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tortuga

City/Region: Ventura
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Photos: Tortuga
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Fuel Odor in Cockpit Reply with quote

I'm working on setting up the cockpit to accommodate a cot for sleeping but I notice a stale fuel odor when I lay on the cockpit sole. The boat is a 1994 with the 58 gallon aluminum fuel tank. The hoses look and feel supple, but they are original. And, I notice a sticky, hard, residue on the tanks where the hose connections are.

I am thinking of replacing all the fuel hoses on the assumption that there may be small unnoticible cracks which allow small amounts of gas to seep to the surface and evaporate.

And, I'm thinkiing of cleaning the tank exterior with acetone to remove all of the residue that may be present.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and if so, how did you solve the problem?

Matt

Chester

City/Region: home
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moisture can kill aluminum tanks. You may want to pull it and check it's integrity while you're at it.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulling and checking the tank is a great idea as long as you're replacing all the hoses.

All marine fuel hoses are required to have the date of manufacture stamped on them continuously throughout their length.

I've been told that they ought to be replaced completely every five years, but imagine many are left alone until leakage or odor problems present themselves.

Be sure to dump out and wash out (with solvent or plain gas) the tank when it's out. You could pressure test it, too, but I can't give you a specific technique to follow on that score, not having ever done it to my Moeller HDPE plastic tanks, which are standard issue in the CD-22.

Be sure to use marine grade hoses for the replacements, and that all hoses are double clamped for safety, a standard marine procedure.

The fuel gauge and ground electrical connections should also be checked for continuity and condition when the tank is out.

Good Luck!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a '94 22 Cruiser (Captain's Choice) and it had two fbg 16 gallon tanks. I was not aware of a factory alum fuel tank, it must be one that was installed after purchase... Hopefully, it's not a leak that has gotten in to the core in the floor... Good luck!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Tortuga

City/Region: Ventura
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Photos: Tortuga
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions and cautions. This will give me something to do over the cold months.

Matt
Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repeating what has by now become my standard "nag" caution when messing with fuel tanks: I have personal, sad, experience with an otherwise healthy fellow who is living in a nursing home, with a serious, permanent brain injury, from an exploding tank.

If you've got fumes in the tank, you've got the potential for an explosion. If you're sloshing gas around to clean out sludge, you've got fumes. You might want to consider using mineral spirits, kerosene, etc. Touch your hand to an electrical ground before you touch the tank, and do the pouring, sloshing, etc. very slowly, to be sure you don't end up with a static discharge. If the tank is metal, attach a ground wire. Work outside, and remember that gasoline vapors are heavier than air. You can end up standing in the middle of a pool of them. My dad pulled that stunt once - most impresive when they ignited!

Take care, and have fun.

Chester

City/Region: home
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's for the 'nag', it's all too easy to become complacent. Gasoline is a part of our everyday lives and nothing bad ever seems to happen.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1994 fuel lines need to be replaced, since I suspect that they are not the latest alcohol resistant hoses. Of course double walled, with fiber-re-inforcement and double clamps should be standard. I believe that ABYC now calls for B 2 alcohol resistant hoses currently.

As for the Aluminum--if the tank is a marine grade aluminum, and it has had good ventillation it will probably last a long time. But this is a good time to check it out. Empty the tank, and I would be sure there is no gas or fumes left. Clean and sand the exterior of the tank, and etch it. Then apply two part stronchium chromate epoxy, and paint with a good epoxy paint. When a tank is installed it should be put on plastic strips--best is to 5200 strips to the bottom of the tanks and then 5200 the plastic to the bottom of the boat--and finally put a strap over the tank. Do not use rubber or any graphite containing material to support the tank, or allow the tank to sit in moisture.

There was a optional tank which used the middle area between the standard tanks and had higher capacity than the plastic original tanks. I have seen several boats with this.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: