The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Single axle is fine.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I have never had a real high speed blow out on my CD 22 trailer, I have had others. A long time ago I had a blow out while towing my little bayliner (17 feet about 3000 pounds) behind an F250 with an 9 foot camper on it. At any rate, the truck blew the left rear tire out going about 60 MPH. It was not really scary, just an inconvenience.

Last summer I had a blow out on the same boat trailer (I keep this boat near Spokane, WA as my parents now live down there and I can't live without access to the water- be it tubing, fishing, or just cruising around on a nice day) on the way to Long Lake while pulling it with a little toyota pickup. It sucked, buy controling even that little truck was a non issue. Surely, having a double axle trailer is nice. It really is and I agree with every reason that people have noted about them. But, here is my question, why do you feel so safe in your single rear wheeled pickup when you could have a dually? Didn't you just say how much safer that extra tire is? What gives?
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great point and if my wife got her way I would have a dually.. at both ends. hell son you only have to work under OSHA guide lines, I married her! The funny thing is I'm the " its good until we get there, don't touch that it might break, yeah I see it I will fix it next week with tape kind of guy. I had to marry the cub scout /OSHA queen. Its hard just to enjoy life on the water with out her wandering if we are going to sink every ten minutes for lack of enough safety gear. Hell last year I had to draw the line on excess gear for fear of it sinking the damm boat. I keep hoping that she will get use to it and stop worrying all the time.. Fat chance. Its just amazing I live to this age with out her. Wink
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
If you had a dually you would be driving on very thin ice! I know Susan sometimes reads these posts.

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAVU wrote:
Tom,
If you had a dually you would be driving on very thin ice! I know Susan sometimes reads these posts.

If that is true, I think I hear the ice cracking as I type this Smile
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
Great point and if my wife got her way I would have a dually.. at both ends. hell son you only have to work under OSHA guide lines, I married her! The funny thing is I'm the " its good until we get there, don't touch that it might break, yeah I see it I will fix it next week with tape kind of guy. I had to marry the cub scout /OSHA queen. Its hard just to enjoy life on the water with out her wandering if we are going to sink every ten minutes for lack of enough safety gear. Hell last year I had to draw the line on excess gear for fear of it sinking the damm boat. I keep hoping that she will get use to it and stop worrying all the time.. Fat chance. Its just amazing I live to this age with out her. Wink

Tom-

Priceless! Xmas LOL

There's a line or two in there that I wouldn't quote out of context except in a bomb shelter with a flack jacket on, and wearing a respirator. Smile

I'll see ya' in Seattle in January if you survive Susan's reading of your post and/or the Catastrophic Response Treatment that follows it! Xmas Eek

Good Luck! Smile

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but in 1999 I bought my 22 C-Dory from Mark Toland. I said I would like a tandem axle. He pointed out to me that the single axle trailer was built heavier than the tandem. The frame and tires were stouter. Trailer rating tell the story. Not the axle number.
I would guess I pulled that c-dory with that single axle trailer as far as any cd owner. From Mt. it is 3000 mile to Florida, 2500 to our spot in Mexico. 3000 to Alaska. I must have towed at least 100,000 miles. Had flats and had a bearing go out. Towed with 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks. I carried two spare tires and an extra thimble for Mexico. C-Dorys are light and easy to tow. In my opinion duel axles are an overkill on CD 22's. 25 ft CD's and Rangers require a tandem. Approaching 10,000 lbs, a pickup or large SUV wouldn't not hurt.
Just my humble opinion, different strokes for different folks. Cool
captd

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: