The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cold Enough To Freeze the Balls Off A Brass Monkey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eNORMous

City/Region: Beaufort
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Antibody
Photos: Antibody
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Cold Enough To Freeze the Balls Off A Brass Monkey Reply with quote

Yep, it's that time of year. I thought it fitting to pay homage to sailing ancestory by providing guidance on the correct usage of this phrase. I have always enjoyed the slaps in the face from the non-sailing types when they incorrectly assume I'm referring to a living/breathing mammals anatomy. LOL Mr. Green incorrectly assuming I'm somewhat of a letch (well, maybe somewhat). Smile

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/b/brassmonkeys.htm

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but the article says that the saying is made up? and not really a nautical term.
eNORMous

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you voice a valid question. However, my contention is this. Sailing vessels existed one hell of a lot longer prior to the existence of any "Navy" (either a documented Navy or a Navy otherwise termed by any "other" official name). I suspect this origin might have some validity; or again, it may not - doubtful even C.A. Abbey knows with any certainty. None-the-less, it's a very historical saying (from what I've read elsewhere over the years). Much as lore of the Count Your P's & Q's is to the British Tavern owner (regarding the Pints of ale consumed by the patrons), these sayings originated with some validity at some point in time by someone. By whom....well, I can't say with any certainty but the "logic" of the saying is valid.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold Enough To Freeze the Balls Off A Brass Monkey Reply with quote

eNORMous wrote:
Yep, it's that time of year. I thought it fitting to pay homage to sailing ancestory by providing guidance on the correct usage of this phrase. I have always enjoyed the slaps in the face from the non-sailing types when they incorrectly assume I'm referring to a living/breathing mammals anatomy. LOL Mr. Green incorrectly assuming I'm somewhat of a letch (well, maybe somewhat). Smile

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/b/brassmonkeys.htm

Well, now you're going to tell ME about how cold it is.....Isn't that ironic?Next summer I will tell you how hot it is HERE!!!!!!!!! But, thanks for sharing the story.
eNORMous

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about hot!

I was stationed at FT Benning for Airborne and Ranger School, and then later at FT Bragg, Home of the 82nd Airborne for about 7 years. It gets really hot down your way. I would call it AFRICA HOT in fact. However, I had a great time in both places. I used to ride my motorcycle all over the place and it was a blast most of the time. But, even with that said, I like it better here (except in December and January), yet miss those times too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: