The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fibreglas precautions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marco422

City/Region: Salt Spring Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Gaiasika
Photos: Gaiasika
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Fibreglas precautions Reply with quote

I've noticed recently that I'm beginning to get itchy fingers when I drill even one hole in fibreglas. I'm not sure if this is the beginnings of allergies. Do people routinely wear gloves for small jobs like this, or does the fibreglas penetrate latex. Is a mask essential for even these little jobs?
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The glass fibers shatter when drilled, cut, or sanded. Those fine fibers then stick in skin pores causing the dreaded fiberglass itch.

To protect against the glass fibers, cover all exposed skin and wear a mask to avoid breathing the dust. Avoid washing up or showering afterwards with hot water, which caused the fibers to penetrate further into the skin. A cold water washup is best.
Also avoid washing shop clothes in with regular clothes to avoid spreading the fibers.

When drilling or cutting, a shop vacuum held near the cut can suck up a lot of the dust.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Fibreglas precautions Reply with quote

marco422 wrote:
I've noticed recently that I'm beginning to get itchy fingers when I drill even one hole in fibreglas. I'm not sure if this is the beginnings of allergies. Do people routinely wear gloves for small jobs like this, or does the fibreglas penetrate latex. Is a mask essential for even these little jobs?

Marco-

The little glass fibers from sanding, cutting, boring, etc., are like tiny needles that penetrate your skin and cause irritation to your body cells, including the nerve endings.

Always wear gloves when handling fiberglass cloth, matt, or tape, or when machining cured fiberglass laminate.

Also wear a mask when sanding heavily with a machine that throws fibers into the air.

Eyeglass, goggle, or face shield protection should also be used with machine work.

Hand sanding on small jobs can be done w/o the mask and eye protection if you're sure the fibers aren't getting to your eyes, nose, and mouth.

Also, the fibers will get not only into your hands and fingers, but also into the uncovered skin and particularly work their way into the creases in your body, like the inside of your arm joints on the opposite side from the elbow. They cause more irritation there because they are forced into the skin by the folding action of the joint.

Thus you want to wear clothing to protect your skin from fiberglass sanding dust and other particles. Wash the clothing afterwards and take a careful shower, gently washing off the fibers with water pressure first, then gentle washcloth action to avoid forcing them into your skin.

The irritation eventually goes away, but it's not fun in the meantime.

Dr. Bob Austin can perhaps tell us more about the eventual fate of these glass fibers that enter our skin and any consequences they can have to our long-term health. (I hope they're not like asbestos fibers that can get into cells and cause cancer!)

Allergic reactions to the various kinds of resins used in fiberglass work are quite common. If you have allergic reactions on your skin or to your breathing, or even gastric (stomach/digestive) reactions, you may have to limit or entirely forego working with fiberglass materials.

More will come from others on the topic.

Good Luck!

Joe Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
marco422

City/Region: Salt Spring Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Gaiasika
Photos: Gaiasika
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it OK to vacuum up the residue or does that just spread around the tiny fibres through the vacuum outlet? Should one wash down the interior of the boat after drilling a number of holes?
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marco422-

Is it OK to vacuum up the residue or does that just spread around the tiny fibres through the vacuum outlet?

Yes, the vacuum is a great tool, just be sure the fine dust filter is in good shape, or you will just blow them all over the place!

Should one wash down the interior of the boat after drilling a number of holes?

At least vacuum it out, and wash it if you think there are any significant fibers remaining. If its pretty darn clean and you're going out in the ocean or fishing with full clothes on, you might not need to wash it out, but if you're going out in the summer, with bathing suits, shorts, and bare feet, both wash it out with strong water pressure and a soapy brush, then rinse again!

As Larry points out, using the vacuum when you can and where you can will suck up a lot of the fibers as they are produced.

After working with this stuff for a while and getting the dreaded itch, go visit a custom fiberglass boat builder and look around the shop. Some guys are pretty clean and organized, but I've see some that were so messy with fibers and resin that I wouldn't want to sell them health or life insurance coverage 'till the end of the month! Laughing

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
mailbox101

City/Region: Pacifica
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Blue Eagle
Photos: Blue-Eagle
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to the paint section of your hardware store they sell Tyvek coveralls, gloves, shoe covers, etc., which are sold to protect you from paint. When duck taped together at the seams them make a fairly effective barrier, although it can get hot inside. The advantage is that the whole kit and kaboodle is disposable, which solves the washing problem. Just peel it off slowly when you are done so you don't cause the fibers to go airborne and end up all over you anyway.

Also, I've known several carpenters who coat exposed skin with baby powder before minor fiberglass work. They claim that it reduces the ability of the fibers to stick, but I am not sure if this is effective, or just an urban myth.
Bad Boy

City/Region: Fresno
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat Fever
Photos: Cat Fever
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your vacum model has a filter with a HEPA rating, it will block all the figerglass dust and particles from returning through the exhaust port of your vacum cleaner.
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that just pulling cables through a new boat will get enough fiberglass dust on the cable to irritate my skin.

Blue gloves are not a fashion statement but a fact of life when working on the boat now.

360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all of the great information given. We spent several years building fiberglass boats, and I took care of a number of pioneers in the fiberglass industry. Several died from leukemia type of syndromes. I ams suspicious that prolonged eposure to many of the chemicals in polyester, vinyester and epoxy resins can give serious blood dyscrasias in some people. There for, if you are in high exposure areas, you might consider a positative pressure mask--I have friends who are professional builders who do this. For the casual worker--a good set of fans, to suck fresh air in, and fumes out, will work. Wear goggles, a respirator, a
Tavek suit, hood and nitrile gloves (blue gloves are not latex, they are stronger and more resistant to solvents). I use citrius cleaner to clean up with, rather than acetone or laquor thinner.

I suspect that what you describe is just the fine glass particles--not an allergy. There are also barrier creams you can put on, but best to use full protection!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: