City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

I believe it is illegal to dissipate any oil/gas spills with detergent. Even so, I see it done fairly regularly at fuel docks when people pump too quickly or too much...
Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20dauntless wrote:
Tom,

I believe it is illegal to dissipate any oil/gas spills with detergent. Even so, I see it done fairly regularly at fuel docks when people pump too quickly or too much...

I read somewhere that pouring detergent on a spill could net an additional $10,000 fine.
Dunno how accurate the story was but it's worth looking into.
cemiii

City/Region: Alamo
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: The Last One........ III
Photos: The Last One, III
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one from a local fishing site

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1226362413

Chris
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20dauntless wrote:
Tom,

Exxon bought up every case on Dawn Dishwashing detergent after the Exxon Valdez oil spill, every case nation wide they could get there hands on.
It only takes a couple to drops to disperse a sheen on top of the water, where it goes is anyone’s guess.
How do I know? Commercial fished and dawn Dishwashing liquid was standard equipment onboard, I also worked the oil spill.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Kayakers playing in the spillway of this dam in Wales

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/

Merv
The full link is here in case it gets bumped off the front page
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/canoeing/3473366/Kayakers-plunge-down-Britains-tallest-dam-spillway.html

ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I had a scary moment this summer when I was out in Nantucket Harbour with my Grand Daughter. She was at the helm and kind of learning to Steer the 22' C-Dory. It was like a snake was following us. I happened to look back and saw a boat "screaming" along and coming close to our starboard side. At the same time, my Grand Daughter was turning toward him. I grabbed the wheel and turned to port. He just missed us. We were going very slow.

We do not have a license law in Massachusetts. It shows when you are out there. Nobody knows the "Rules of the Road".

Fred

Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Scary trailer experience Reply with quote

Cathy and I had a very scary trailer experience this year. I have had some health issues and as a result we have not been able to use the boat. The October gathering in Apalachicola FL was the first time Cathy and I have been able to enjoy the boat since last year. Rick from Foggy Dew helped us to pull the boat out of Lake Martin to get it ready for the trip to the coast. When we pulled the boat from the water on the trailer one of the tires went flat. The trailer had not had much use and the tread looked fine. When we hooked up the pump the tire would not hold air. We pulled the tire and found that the inside of the tire had rubbed against the trailer and was worn through on the side wall. On closer inspection we found that all 4 of the tires were worn this way on the inside. Shocked We felt we were very lucky that this was the way we found out instead of while traveling on a curvy country road or the interstate. The thought of what could have happened to us is what is so scary. Crying or Very sad I guess it is not safe to assume that because everything looks good on the outside that all is well. You never would have known and all tires held proper pressure until the weight of the boat was on the trailer. All four tires were replaced and the trailer is at the dealership waiting on repair. We hope to get it back soon! Check them tires !!
Regards,
Jeff & Cathy

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we were heading from Yellowstone to Flaming Gorge this year we had a tire come apart. Less than 50 miles before this I had visually checked the tires at the gas station and they looked fine. I had also check the pressure earlier.

As we were headed up a hill with a gard rail beside us Karen saw something wrong with the tire in the mirror. As I looked the entire tread came off the right front trailer tire. It also took off the plastic fender. I stopped and ran back and the tire still had some air but was going down fast and there was no shoulder to get off on. We made it to a driveway about half a mile away where I changed the tire.

The tire was a good year Marathon and goodyear has agreed to pay for the cost of replacing the fender and the tire.

It is amazing how much damage the tread of a tire can do. It bent the half inch ubolts and brackets that held the fender on. It came within inches of hitting the side of the boat. The tread and the fender went over the guard rail never to be seen again.

It can be a little nerve wracking when these things happen but we were probably lucky this time.

Steve
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve-

Glad the damage wasn't more serious than it was!

I'll bet you're glad you had a tandem trailer!

Just think how much more difficult the situation would have been without that second tire on that side of the trailer............

Besides all the other advantages of tandem trailers, this one alone makes it worth while to go ahead and go tandem rather than purchasing a single axle trailer, unless you're just limiting your towing to across town to the local launch ramp.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the fuel spill. Certainly is a frightening situation, and glad that no one was injured. We always keep at least a 1/4 square of an oil absorb pad in one hand when fueling (usually held just below the tank vent) to catch any fuel.

From Environmental Protection--condensed to some degree:

Dispersing Agents
Dispersing agents, also called dispersants, are chemicals that contain surfactants and/or solvent compounds that act to break petroleum oil into small droplets. In an oil spill, these droplets disperse into the water column where they are subjected to natural processes, such as waves and currents, that help to break them down further. This helps to clear oil from the water's surface, making it less likely that the oil slick will reach the shoreline.
Heavy crude oils do not disperse as well as light to medium weight oils. Dispersants should not be used on gasoline or diesel spills for example. Dispersants are most effective when applied immediately following a spill, before the lightest materials in the oil have evaporated, however, dispersant manufacturers have claimed that the "window-of-opportunity" to apply dispersants effectively is widening.

EPA policy does not allow the use of dispersants in freshwater unless authorized by an On-Scene Coordinator to protect human health.... However, dispersants have not been used extensively in the United States because of possible long term environmental effects, difficulties with timely and effective application, disagreement among scientists and research data about their environmental effects, effectiveness, and toxicity concerns.
long term cumulative effects of dispersant use are still unknown.

It’s also illegal for marina operators or boaters to “treat” a
sheen by putting anything on it that will disperse, emulsify or
coagulate it. This includes detergents. Current USCG penalties
for spilling, or not reporting, or “treating” a sheen go up to
$32,500. Even if you are not on waters with USCG jurisdiction,
you are subject to a similar state law. If a fuel dock or marine can hold more than 1300 gallons of fuel, they are required to have a fuel spill response kit to absorb the fuel.

The detergent takes the microdrops of fuel to the bottom and it contaminates the benthos which is at the bottom of the bay floor. It does not necessarilly get rid of the risks of explosion.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: