The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-25 Hull Construction
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGIRhino
Dealer

City/Region: Eastpoint
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, I don't know about what anybody else thinks or has experienced but the difference in the ride and handling of a 22 Cruiser with max hp and a 23 Venture with a 150 is nothing short of ASTOUNDING!!! The Venture is quieter and simply eclipses the 22 Cruiser for comfort in a short interval confused chop. I'm not sure about the difference between the 25 and 26 because we haven't powered our first stock 26 yet but I'd be willing to bet the difference is comparable. For a fact NOBODY that has taken test rides in both boats has said that they couldn't justify the difference in price. A Cadillac Escalade and a Chevy Tahoe are pretty much the same truck but the difference is in the niceties and how much better the Cadallic feels to drive...and pretty much justifies the price difference.

This probably isn't the right thread for these thoughts but I felt I had to get my 2 penny's worth in! Anybody considering a purchase owes it to themselves to test ride BOTH!!!

Charlie

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A comment about balsa cores. I doubt if you will find any use of balsa in production boats in anything other than end grain balsa--such as "Baltec" or "Baltaire" which comes in various depths, and with scrims which are compatable with polyester, vinlyester and epoxy resins. Often the end grain balsa is cut in small blocks set in the scrim so that it will fit contours of the hull mold.

However, longitudinal balsa planking--with good structural overlay of glass (and various resins) is also an outstanding structural material--in in some ways better than end grain. End grain balsa is good in that balsa is a "hard wood" by defination, because of the short cells. The resins not only permiate the scrim, but into the cells, which give a better adherence. As noted, does not migrate any great distance, both because of the end grain--but also importantly because of the short cells.

The method of construction, where stations are put up, and planks of balsa--typically 2 x 2" x 15 feet long (often coved as many monique constructions are) are laid up with aluminum nails and epoxy resins (best to put a layer of cloth between every 6" of planking to tie the inner and outer layers of glass together). After the hull is laid up, it is easily faired with a power plane--and then glassed over with any one of several glass and resin combinations. The inner and outer glass are about the same thickness as the end grain boats laminateions--but the beauty of this longitudinal construction is the ease of building a custom boat. I have been involved in the construction of about half a dozen of this type of boat and followed them for over 30 years--they are all as solid as the day they were built--including one 55 footer I was aboard when we hit a shipping container at sea--going 8 knots in 15 foot seas. A typical fiberglass hull (probably including a balsa cored one) would have ruptured. This boat only impacted the 2" planking about about 1.5", tore off the outer glass, and delaminated the inner glass, but sailed several hundred miles to safety--could have crossed the ocean if necessary. The forgiving nature of the balsa along with the short cell structure, allowed the miminal damage.

So don't discount other uses of balsa.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that the transom is a pre-molded piece of structural foam sandwiched in fibreglass, delivered to C-Dory and glassed into place on the hull.

My source is a post somewhere in the C-Brats, or a conversation with a C-Dory dealer. It has some validity, but not much. Anybody know more?

End grain balsa is better than most foams/plastics used to separate layers of fiberglass. In terms of structural rigidity or strength, neither can claim an advantage due to the core material, it's all in the construction.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: