Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
erik7e

City/Region: Salome
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 1992
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: E-ticket
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: V-birth storage Reply with quote

I cut in three hatchs, one forward and one under each bunk and removed the foam.The hatchs are water tight.
I store mostly light weight stuff in there, rope, paper products , clothing, ect.
I've found that any weight I add forward seems to improve the performance especially with full fuel and water tanks.
I don't notice any sound difference.
This was done about a thousand nautical miles ago.
22' Cruiser
---E-ticket---
ryder

City/Region: duncan
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2008
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I cut in three hatchs, one forward and one under each bunk and removed the foam.The hatchs are water tight.

do you have pics by any chance?

ryder

Hayesie Daze

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Hayesie Daze
Photos: Hayesie Daze
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: CD22 V-Berth Storage Reply with quote

I just saw a 2008 22' Cruiser and the factory installed three compartments in the v-berth, a large hatch up forward and two hatches under each bunk. All watertight of course, and each one had a fiberglass bulkhead to fully compartmentalize each so the entire space doesn't flood in the event of a collision, is the standard on all of the 22 Cruisers or is it just one big space?

Byron
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought new lazarette hatches. I'm thinking about using the old ones in
the V berth area. Only store heavy, less often used items there...
Hmm... maybe my main tool bag. That's got some weight and I hopefully
don't need it too often during the season.

Mike
Chester

City/Region: home
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: CD22 V-Berth Storage Reply with quote

Hayesie Daze wrote:
I just saw a 2008 22' Cruiser and the factory installed three compartments in the v-berth, a large hatch up forward and two hatches under each bunk. All watertight of course, and each one had a fiberglass bulkhead to fully compartmentalize each so the entire space doesn't flood in the event of a collision, is the standard on all of the 22 Cruisers or is it just one big space?

Byron

The bulkheads are an excellent safety feature if that area is to be used as storage.
Most commonly available hatches may resist some pressure from the outside in but very little from the inside out. IMO the hatches ought to be on the top of the berth rather than the side to limit water entering the cabin in the event of a hull breach.
cemiii

City/Region: Alamo
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: The Last One........ III
Photos: The Last One, III
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put hatches in my older 22 V-berth (pix). Pretty much what everybody has said. Nice to have the space for very infrequently used items (spare prop/tools,extra rode, etc.), but not really very convenient to get at, especially if you often have a bunch of fishing gear on the v-berth as I usually do.

I certainly did not lose any flotation by cutting in there as I could see daylight in several areas at the base of the helm wall (hardly a sealed cavity, though that may have changed in later years). There was no flotation in there at all in 87. With the access hatches you could easily add styrofoam, empty 2- quart bottles, 2-part foam, bubble wrap, a blow up bladder, or whatever, if you really felt the prospect of hanging on to a bobbing bow offerred a greater level of personal security.

But I think the main benefit would soley be long term storage.

Chris
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 2008 came with 3 waterproof hatches already installed and no foam. The space is great, I have used it for extra food, extra clothes, etc. It is hard to get to though, since you have to move everything off of the berth.
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20dauntless wrote:
Our 2008 came with 3 waterproof hatches already installed and no foam. The space is great, I have used it for extra food, extra clothes, etc. It is hard to get to though, since you have to move everything off of the berth.

I agree the space would be a hassle to get at.
I wonder if it’s feasible to move the water supple up forward
installing a tank in the port bow section; this would free up space in the cabin.
I’m sure this could cause some stability issues, or would it?

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
cemiii

City/Region: Alamo
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: The Last One........ III
Photos: The Last One, III
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding a water tank, unless it was a bladder type water tank, it would probably take a pretty large cut out to put a sizeable tank in. This is likely not an easy (add a hatch) type fix, and is more likely to require a stronger structural repair as I assume the birth adds some rigidity to the bow sides. There is also not a lot of rectangular volume in there. That is, because of steep sides, the space would be far more conducive to a triangular type tank than a rectangular one. Just one opinion of at least a few other things to consider (having actually opened one up).

Chris
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris-

Very good observations and conclusions!

I remember that RedFox did move his water tank under the V-berth and wrote the whole process up a few years back.

As I remember, he pretty much removed the whole top of the v-breth, then replaced it., but not sealing it off water tight.

He also included another gas tank. See below:

C-Dory RedFox Bow Modifications BE SURE TO LOOK AT ALL FOUR PARTS.

Then look the whole site over. He's the original C-Dory Crazy Compulsive Project Maniac. Veeeerrry Interesting!!!!

JOE. Laughing Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CD 18 Angler has a storage hole about the size of a foot locker up there, with a simple piece of high quality marine grade plywood over it. One big ol hole and it is great. When I reworked the V-berth cushions, I simply used the back edge of the big ol storage hole as a break point from side to side. This allows me to grab the cushion and toss it aft a bit, then grab the plywood and dig around. Next on my upgrade was going to be some henges on the forward/bow side of the board, and a pair of those spring props that once you open the box, they "spring" into place, and you simply poke them mid-way to release them to lower the lid.

I will look for some pics from my redo days on the boat.

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crew of Sea3PO (volunteers of the year) having provided me with two new lazarette hatches I pondered what do with the old two. This project will wait until spring but I am putting in a new 13 x 30 hatch under the v-berth cushion. This storage area will have a plastic liner. This new storage area will hold two spare props, spare danforth stern anchor and a few other bulky but seldom accessed items that were formerly under the dinette seats. The two old lazarette hatches will be installed on the aisle side of each under-dinette storage area. Then I will try and stow gear so that more frequently accessed stuff is near the hatches and can be grabbed without removing the seats. Ultimate goal is to reduce some of the shifting of load fore and aft, side to side, from running to docked, from camping to sleeping, some of which always goes on in a 22. Other projects are to replace the running lgihts with leds. The only reason is to reduce VSR chatter when trolling and operating lights, sounders, radar, etc.

Regards to all,

Mark

breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:

I remember that RedFox did move his water tank under the V-berth and wrote the whole process up a few years back.

As I remember, he pretty much removed the whole top of the v-breth, then replaced it., but not sealing it off water tight.

He also included another gas tank. See below:

C-Dory RedFox Bow Modifications BE SURE TO LOOK AT ALL FOUR PARTS.

Then look the whole site over. He's the original C-Dory Crazy Compulsive Project Maniac. Veeeerrry Interesting!!!!

JOE. Laughing Thumbs Up

Joe,

What an ambitious project; great looking job. I guess ripping off the whole top in the V-birth would be the only practical why to install a water tank. It would be hard to get a tank installed through a hatch opining unless you used bladder tanks, but that doesn’t seem practical. Brain storm it here enough someone will figure it out.
I just don’t see myself using that area for storage given its accessibility.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: