View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it didn't fit the the old base. I removed the socket, and mounted the light on a small piece of starboard that I attached and sealed over the old mounting area. I can't remove the light, but I can fold it down and out of the way. This fits my needs, but I know some folks like the stock nav light because you can remove it and not have it in the way of inflatables etc when put on top of the boat.

Hella makes a 24" Plug in Pole nav light, but my guess is that it doesn't match up with the standard C-Dory Perko socket.

Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
jstates

City/Region: SHELTON
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Endurance
Photos: Endurance
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
I should have been more clear in my post - it’s the port and starboard navigation lights that burn out. I am looking to replace either the bulb with LED or the whole unit - haven't seen LED replacement bulb that would fit.

I looked at WM catalog on line on the replacement Perko LED series 25 but some had terrible reviews and leaked after one year. Wonder if I should move up - to a higher series or perhaps mount a sealed bicolor LED instead on the bow rail [1 meter below anchor light]. Has anyone done this on a CD22?

Also I don't travel with the anchor light on - unless its dark then the all around anchor light and the side navigation lights are on at the same time. -I replaced the all round anchor light last year with Dr. LED and it works fine .

Thanks
Jim
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that helped tremendously with night running (which I avoid as much as possible) was making a light shield for the all around light to shade the fore-deck. I used cardboard cereal boxes for cut-and-try sizes until I got full shading of the deck and handrails and made the permanent one from natural gas or propane flue pipe; it is a thin aluminum that can be cut with scissors (not the admirals sewing scissors, please). To mount it I cut a hole the size of the spigot on the plastic lens and simply slip it on the lens and screw it all back onto the light fixture (which is an extra long one from Perko to get above canoes or kayaks I have on a roof rack I made).
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to the earlier mention of difficulty in reading the buttons on the Raymarine displays: Wear a white T shirt and get your belly up close to the display. The light from the display will reflect off the T-shirt and you can read the button letters.

If you have yet to develop the belly necessary for this maneuver, you can hold a white sheet of paper up from the bottom, or tape it to the dash under the bottom of the display so it reflects the display light back onto the buttons.

John
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, how about these lights from Hella?
port/starboard

Robbi
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Is your Dr. LED anchor light a new fixture, or just a new bulb? Would you happen to have a link to what you purchased? Thanks.

Rob
jstates

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbi

Thanks the Hella look good -

Rob
I just replaced the bulb with the Polar Star 25 from Dr. LED
http://www.doctorled.com/p2.htm

I had to bend the wire to the bracket out of the way but it works fine and is much brighter than the stock incandescent. It should have dimples at each end. Not sure if I had a stock anchor light.
Jim
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Belly up to the display Reply with quote

Dr John said:

Quote:
In response to the earlier mention of difficulty in reading the buttons on the Raymarine displays: Wear a white T shirt and get your belly up close to the display. The light from the display will reflect off the T-shirt and you can read the button letters.

If you have yet to develop the belly necessary for this maneuver, you can hold a white sheet of paper up from the bottom, or tape it to the dash under the bottom of the display so it reflects the display light back onto the buttons.

John

WOW, Great Dr John, I knew there was a reason I needed that extra piece of chocolate, and the oreo's too. (No problem here, in the belly reflector department anyway.) I'm having a hard time reaching the keyboard from the floor though, and my belly is aching from the shaking Laughing Laughing Laughing

ON a more serious note. Very Happy I did learn that there is a way to do what we need for night running. The buttons DO HAVE BACKLIGHT. It's in there, in the backlight slide, just one bump down from max light in the night mode, and they are not bright, but they are there, and when it is dark and the slide is in the right position they do show up. (Thanks to Paul on the JC Lately for finding that and showing me how.) Also the screen display can be turned down very low, so that, it does not reflect off everything, (ahem, even my tee-shirt) and glare on the inside of the windows.

Thanks Dr John for the great idea, for many great posts, and for that extra bite of chocolate tonight.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the Link the the Dr. LED web site. My current anchor light has a bayonet style bulb. The Polar Star 40 has a bayonet attachment, but the Polar Star 25 seems to have some other type of fitting. Did your light also have a bayonet type bulb?

Rob
jstates

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Navigation lights Reply with quote

Rob

My original anchor light had a slight dimple inward on both ends that were otherwise flat.

Jim
Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: 16' Angler Running Lights Reply with quote

Dotnmarty reminded me of something. Smile I wonder just how well the Red/Green combo deck light on my older 16 shows up now that I've added an anchor and a deck-pipe in front of it. Sad I may have to put something under it and raise it up a couple of inches. CoolSmile Jack
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Night Reply with quote

I run as much at night as I do during the day. It definitely takes diligence to see other boats at night, particularly if you have a city backdrop. As others have said it's important to turn off all your interior lights, turn down the brightness on your electronics, and keep a sharp eye. It is easy to loose even tankers when you have a city behind them.

I love cruising at night. You can see stars you could never see from shore for example. We of course have a million lobster traps all over the place up here so I tend to avoid long cruises at night.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Night running Reply with quote

Captain Mack said:

Quote:
It definitely takes diligence to see other boats at night, particularly if you have a city backdrop.....It is easy to loose even tankers when you have a city behind them.

And other boats have lights. What about floating things like wood chunks, logs, or crab floats etc? Sometimes it is hard enough to see them in the daylight. Are you using a night vision scope or something else?

Harvey
SleepyC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: