The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

My 21ec questions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evilskier

City/Region: Petoskey
State or Province: MI
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: My 21ec questions... Reply with quote

Picking up a 21ec is a sure thing, hopefully next summer. I do have a few questions...let me know your experiences.

Cheers, Chris

1. Does the mast make any difference when it comes to to rolling or stabilization underway or tied-up? Is it more just for the "look."

2. With the head w/ holding tank option. Is there are outlet to get a normal pump-out at a marina?

3. Kinda random, but is the proper place to fly a American Flag from the gaff on the mast or from the stern as shown on the Ranger website. i thought it would be from the gaff.

4. Is there ample storage for the aft cushions on board with personal gear as well?

5. How well does a 21ec do in reverse, i would like to stern into slips in most cases.

6. Where does the shore power connect, it is it out of the way??

7. Anyone mount a small flat screen tv anywhere?

Thanks so much!!!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer only a couple of your questions--the American Flag belongs on a stern staff. The mast would not contibute to any real stabalization.

I have handled mostly single screw boats most of my life--and you can dock them stern too--I suspect that with the tug, if you don't have much experience, that you would appreciate a bow thruster. Remember that a single prop will have a certain amount of "walk" sideways in reverse--you want to back toward that side. You use short bursts of foreward power against the ruder to steer the boat in reverse, once she is moving.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
evilskier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
Texas Steve

City/Region: Fairview
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Slow 'n Easy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: A couple of answers... Reply with quote

The shore power plugs into the starboard side of the engine box. It is a 20 amp 110 volt outlet similar to what you have in your home.

There is a waste pump-out port when you purchase the marine head and holding tank option.

We store our cushions in the pilothouse when we're away.

Good advice from Thataway regarding reversing into your slip. That is my preferred way to position the boat, but it does take a little practice to manage the single screw and rudder. Turning in reverse is nearly impossible and cross winds create challenges, but you will eventually get the hang of lining her up and letting the engine "walk" you to port and aft.

I put my laptop on the shelf behind the helm chair to watch via slingbox and I'm sure a small flat screen would fit nicely as well.

Good luck with your search. As I said previously, you will love the little tug and all the attention she draws whether afloat or on the trailer.

Steve Frisch
evilskier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again, does marinco or a similar company make a off the shelf shore power cord to adapt to 30 amp that most marinas have? i'm trying to find a close up pic of the power hook up onboard. i saw this adpt.
http://www.marinco.com/product/one-piece-adapter-20-amp-locking-30-amp-locking
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Marinco does make a cord adaptor--they tend to be pricey. I make up these type of adaptors using a #12 or #10 extension cord, and cutting off the Male 15 amp connector, and put on a Marinco 30 amp male connector. My local Home Depot also carries the marine 30 amp connectors--and these are less--but perhaps not of quite a good grade. Probably OK around fresh water and limited use.

For example I will carry this type of cord to the Gulf Coast gathering. I happen to have a 50 amp to 30 amp connector, and John (our host) has a 50 amp outlet for his power boat. I then adapt down to 30 amps, and then put a 15 amp three way splitter on that, so that 2 other boats can use that single outlet.

The other advantage of an "adaptable cord" is that in Canada many marinas have a 20 amp connector--and I just switch out the 30 for a 20. This idea avoids the adaptor and then an extension cord--the 30 amp plug is both locking in the receptical and has a ring which restrains the cord and it is much less likely to be pulled out accidently.
Higs

City/Region: Las Vegas
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have a question, i've looked at the picutres but cant seem to find a place to shower. Am I missing it or does the boat just have a head. Thanks
Texas Steve

City/Region: Fairview
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Slow 'n Easy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No shower and head is located under the V Berth.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: