The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Battery chargers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Battery chargers Reply with quote

What's the difference between a trickle charger and a float charger? Can I use either on my stored batteries?

"...we're all in the same boat..."
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to guess but I would say a trickle charger is a constant, but very low amperage charge, where a float charge is controlled by a sensor that pulses according to level of charge existing in the battery.
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trickle charger will charge the battery to a full charge at a very small current. The float charger will charge the battery to just below full charge. The float charger can be left on all the time if the battery is in good condition. If the batteries can no longer be brought to a full charge then either charger should not be left on full time. Batteries will dissipate there charge just sitting lead acid 10 percent per month and AGM 1 to 2 percent per month. The best thing would be to store them in a cool place and charge them once or twice a month.

Overload

City/Region: Leavenworth, WA-n-Hope, Alaska
Vessel Name: Lil' Brother
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been some time since I have posted, but thought I would take a minute to pass on some information that our tax money has provided to deal with this situation.

Having been in the fire service for many years, we have ALWAYS had a significant problem with the electrical systems on our complex pieces of apparatus (fire trucks/ambulances/etc). The single largest problem has been batteries (charging/being dead) and usually at the WRONG TIME.

Nationally our fleet managers, mechanics and the folks who teach electrical systems have come up with a system that is proving to be very successful. In lieu of specifying very expensive charger/conditioners on apparatus, they are starting to switch to a good quality trickle charger. The secret to the operation is to control this trickle charger with a good outdoor timer, such as those used for christmas lights or other outdoor lighting. Those organizations that have made this change over have almost eliminated the over charging and dead battery problems. Even better, the cost is significantly less than a several hundred dollar battery conditioner. I just wish I had known about this a year ago and I would have saved those several hundred dollars Sad !

My .02 worth and good luck!

Doug
Lil' Brother
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overload wrote:
The secret to the operation is to control this trickle charger with a good outdoor timer, such as those used for christmas lights or other outdoor lighting.

Thanks for the tip -- can you provide more information about how to use the timer (hours on/off, etc.)?

Thanks!
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug
That is just what I do Except I use a Sprinkler timer and a Relay. I set it to run 1 hour a week. I just use a 6 amp 3 stage boat battery charger. When the timer goes off the charger will start at 6 amps and then switch down to the maintenance mode and then the sprinkler timer shuts off. Then in a week the whole process starts over. My timer is just mounted on a piece of scrap wood with 120 volt outlet. I can use it for the boat or the camp trailer.
Overload

City/Region: Leavenworth, WA-n-Hope, Alaska
Vessel Name: Lil' Brother
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,

After talking with our department mechanic who was involved in one of the seminars regarding this, he stated that the "on time" had been an evolutionary process based on the frequency of use by each particular apparatus. But, it sounds like a couple of hours per day was being used fairly frequently. As for our boats, most of them sit for many days without use, like some fire trucks in remote fire stations and would take some monitoring over several months to find what timing cycle would work best.

Again, good luck.

Doug
[/i]Lil' Brother
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the trickle charger with a 24 hour appliance timer for a number of years--both on boats and RV's in storage. Works great. We run about 3 hours a day.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: