The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Sound control?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike38

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Sound control? Reply with quote

Has anyone experimented with any of the available sound absorbing mats? I'm wondering whether one of these on the cabin sole might deaden a bit of the noise when the boat pounds.
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Love to lose a pound or two Reply with quote

I really prefer to keep the boat from pounding. We put on a permatrim after reading many great reviews on this site. I have not had a lot of experience with it yet but know for a fact that I can achieve much better speeds before the boat starts to pound in chop. I have been told by others following me at the last c-brat gathering that the boat looked a lot better at speed even though we had a lot of people / weight. You might try to go after controlling the pounding before you focus on sound control.

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best sound absorbing mats are those which have interlocking edges and are about 5/8" thick of a closed cell foam. These are also nice on the feet and can be cut to fit the boat's floor--plus are cheap. Mine came from Sam's club (on the 22).

However, I don't like to let my boat pound, and don't have any mats on the 25. Pounding is abusing the boat. It may not show up immediately, but in time, it can loosen screws, and the bulkheads (not sure if the most recent boats have glassed in and molded interior, but I would feel the same way). I grew up on a boat which had a bottom very similar to the C Dory, and my father drilled into me--do not let the boat pound. Put the bow down (Permatrims help) and slow down, or take a different tack. Quarter into the waves.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
eNORMous

City/Region: Beaufort
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Antibody
Photos: Antibody
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound control? Reply with quote

Spike38 wrote:
... when the boat pounds.

IMO, the only correction action to take when a boat is pounding is to reduce speed and adjust the speed to accomodate the period of the wave so as to ride the wave; or, if you are set to plow through the wave to take the wave on quarters as Bob suggested.

FWIW, in the long run, the boat will pay dearly...fasteners, equipment, hull, transom, etc.

Spike

City/Region: Kent
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bootleg Hooch
Photos: Bootleg Hooch
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I laid down the interlocking mat that Thataway Bob mentioned It helps some but not a cure all. Is nice on the feet though and easy to remove and clean.

Chuck
Bootleg Hooch
Spike38

City/Region: Punta Gorda
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points: thank you. Actually I've been trying to avoid letting the boat pound, now will continue to do so. Just out of sail I'm not used to the kind of speeds possible here and need to gain some familiarity with it. "Pounding" seems like a somewhat vague term. Our first trial, with the dealer, was on a light breeze day, wavelets maybe 1" or 2", resulting in a steady slapping on the hull with the boat on plane. I was inclined to regard this as a minimal sort of pounding. Coming up Charlotte Harbor the other day into a chop of 1' or so I kept the speed down (8-11 mph) to where we got only the occasional bang! coming off a particularly high one. Lots to learn but maybe that's what keeps life interesting. Anyhow, your responses are appreciated.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Sound Control Reply with quote

Give Tom on Primative a shout. He insulated the interior of Primative with a material that in addition to cutting down on condensation, must surely damp exterior noise. I fished with Tom at one of the Cathlamet get togethers, and was impressed with the job...

Steve

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: