The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Ultra Low Sulfur fuel - What's the Deal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdleUp

City/Region: Smith Mountain Lake
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Linda Sue
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Ultra Low Sulfur fuel - What's the Deal? Reply with quote

I called my local marina here on the lake and found out today that he's still selling "low sulfur" fuel ( off roar diesel 500 ppm) and not "Ultra Low Sulfur fuel-15ppm". Next, I called Cummins Marine and the guy told me I have to use Ultra Low Sulfur fuel in my engine.

Well the only thing wrong with that is the fact that the marine industry does not have to comply until 2010 to sell Ultra Low Sulfur fuel at marinas. So something is wrong with that picture.

So, I'm thinkin' that the Cummins QSD 2.0 should run on regular off road low sulfur fuel 500 ppm after all. Off road diesel is almost $1.00 cheaper than regular street diesel and should provide increased power as well.

I have attached a production schedule to this post.

Any input will be appreciated!

My Other Hobbies:
www.rotory.com - www.bigpickup.com

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand the picture the marine engine industry is complying with California emissions rules, since they cannot predict which boat will be taken to Calif. Thus the newer engines are designed to run on 15 PPM sulfur. From Cummins: "The super-refined fuel is designed not only to curb emissions but to prevent sulfur damage to the diesel particulate filters used on 2007 trucks." (this also includes marine and off road applications).

So you are caught between the rock and hard place--I suspect that most of the diesel boats in your area are the older 500 PPM (or even higher) sulfur. The owner of the marina is not in a situation where he is forced to take the more expensive 15 ppm--but many service sations now have the 15 PPM diesel--and it does not pay the fuel distribution companies to stock 500 PPM for only marine use. (My guess is that there are plenty of farm impliments around which use the 500 PPM--We have a 500 gallon diesel tank on our farm which is 500 ppm fuel, and we will use that as long as we can).

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
IdleUp

City/Region: Smith Mountain Lake
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Linda Sue
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Bob - Since there is no DPF emissions on the marine engines, I'm wondering if indeed it would hurt anything to run the low sulfur fuel in the Cummins. It's cheaper and readily available. Since the LS fuel is cheaper to buy for the dealers, I'm wondering if any of the marinas on the east coast are even selling Ultra Low Sulfur fuel?

I guess the real question is; when did Cummins do the original design of the QSD engine, if it was a few years ago, it will more than likely run fine and even better on the 500 ppm fuel since it has better lubrication qualities and makes more power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: